Fuel pressure (pump)

Wolf8312

Never have this problem unless flying high, but after a certain point on a campaign mission when trying to gain altitude, I find my engines will lose power and the fuel pressure warning light will come on. So I use the hand pump and get things going again, only for the problem to repeat if I again try to gain altitude. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Just turn ON booster pump switch (Fuel Pump Switch), is under Elevator Trim Control Wheel.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

You can also try as well using the pressurize fuel tank item right in the middle of control panel, next to priming pump, if you're going to get really high.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

The only time you are NOT supposed to use the fuel pump is when you are taxiing or idling on the ground.

As soon as you are on the runway to take off until you have landed, the fuel pump should be on.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

The only time you are NOT supposed to use the fuel pump is when you are taxiing or idling on the ground.

As soon as you are on the runway to take off until you have landed, the fuel pump should be on.

That's how I operate it, but then, when are we supposed to use / need that "Fuel Pressuring Cock" next to the fuel prime handle ?

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

The fuel pressure cock is for if the fuel tank integrity is compromised and pressure inside the tank is forcing fuel to escape. In such a case, you turn off the fuel pump and release the pressure and then return to a lower altitude where the engine will run on atmospheric pressure.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

The fuel pressure cock is for if the fuel tank integrity is compromised and pressure inside the tank is forcing fuel to escape. In such a case, you turn off the fuel pump and release the pressure and then return to a lower altitude where the engine will run on atmospheric pressure.

Ah! Ok, and thanks a lot for the insight! It then means that it can become useful in DCS as soon as the upcoming Damage Model features become available :-) At least it is functional, so, might end up being required under such circumstances.

Possibly. IIRC the Spitfire Mk IX has self-sealing fuel-tanks. I'm guessing you'll have to evaluate the situation when it arises.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

when are we supposed to use / need that "Fuel Pressuring Cock" next to the fuel prime handle ?

When you are expect climb above altitude where engine fuel pump loses the ability to keep fuel pressure. But it will not restore fuel pressure if it is lost, must use wobble pump for it.

Do not forget that we have Spitfire with "early" (wobble pump and "Fuel Pressuring Cock") and "late" (fuel buster pump - Fuel Pump Switch) fuel system.

You can use first or second procedure for fuel management.

Simply if you use "Fuel Pump Switch" - the late, you do not need touch none of wobble and "Fuel Pressuring Cock".

It was debated in past here.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

When you are expect climb above altitude where engine fuel pump loses the ability to keep fuel pressure. But it will not restore fuel pressure if it is lost, must use wobble pump for it.

Do not forget that we have Spitfire with "early" (wobble pump and "Fuel Pressuring Cock") and "late" (fuel buster pump - Fuel Pump Switch) fuel system.

You can use first or second procedure for fuel management.

Simply if you use "Fuel Pump Switch" - the late, you do not need touch none of wobble and "Fuel Pressuring Cock".

It was debated in past here.

Ok! :thumbup:

Thx saburo!