Big Helicopters

Prowler111

Big Helicopters  

548 members have voted

1. 1. Big Helicopters

• Yes
    • No

Something modern and big like the AW101

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

• 1 month later...

Large transport helis would be interesting if they go for the Russian ones. Mi-6, Mi-10, Mi-26.

Might even make sense as a survey level module - perhaps free to fly, we don't have helicopters and DCS does a quite nice job for their dynamics as well.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

• 3 weeks later...

CH-53 SuperStallion is Awesome choice. IMHO, the best large transport helicopter to sim would be H-60 family. UH-60L Blackhawk, MH-60R S&R and JSOC, MH-60L DAP (probably classified). The Blackhawk/Seahawk family is so wide and varied, has lots of options to choose from. I flew on UH-60L when I was on active duty. Obviously I was not a crew, but passenger. It is a big, heavy helicopter. It does really require, in real life, two people to fly it. PIC in right seat flies the aircraft, left seat navigates, communicates, and works non-HOTAS (cyclic & collective) avionics and weapons. Both can work countermeasures, but normally it is the left seater. Crew chief and door gunner work the door guns, refuel the aircraft on ground, re-arm the aircraft, handle sling loads, perform PMCS, reports to PIC as needed. Two guys to fly it, but four guys to fight it. Everybody looks out for threats. Unlike Air Force and Navy helicopter pilots, Army UH-60 crews work and sleep in the field. For some reason Marines prefer to sleep in the mud and brag about it.

I would buy either, or both if available. CH-53 and UH-60L/R . Though DCS is better for direct action aircraft. AH-64D, AH-1W. Used according to doctrine, Super Stallion and Blackhawk , are airborne equivalent of trucks and buses. Both are logistics platforms, better developed as AI modules with detailed AI planning. Leaving the fun combat types, AH-64D, AH-1W/X, KA-50/52, Mi-28N, Mi-24/35, to the human players. Hind is huge helicopter, more of a rotodyne compound helicopter then traditional helo, despite its looks. That is the platform that should be developed. It is a transport, assault, and attack platform at the sametime. Closest American analog would be higher technology MH-60 DAP of 160th SOAR. MI-24 can carry squad of infantry, 4X anti-tank missiles, rockets, countermeasures, and combat range fuel, on same sortie. There are so many export variants, in so many nations both Western(NATO) affiliated and East(Russia, China, DPRK, Iran, Islamic World), and South America. Even US and Israel have operational MI-24, for training , and flying special combat missions in. In context of DCS, MI-24 could be blue or red force unit, without having to resort to suspension of disbelief. Classified systems would be crypto and communications. Same as for any Western type mod.

Where I am scratching my head, but not objecting, is the perceived need to have civilian unarmed types, like Yak-52 and that small Eagle biplane in DCS. IMHO those mods are unnecessary use of resources. YAK, I understand, was a thesis project for Master , or Ph.D. for one of the developers, so that is OK. Maybe ED might mod Yak-52 for light COIN. Carrying gunpods, rockets, fuel tanks, and small bombs. But Eagle biplane I just dunno.

If you wanna go there with DO-31 VSTOL, then I say MV-22 is a better choice. It is large, and is interesting because it is a tilt-rotor. Isn't there an ED rule for developers, that experimental or one off types are verboten? Or is that just an urban legend. Becouse IMHO, Vought/Hiller/Ryan XC-142A Tiltwing VSTOL would be my choice.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vought%2fhiller%2fryan+xc-142a+tiltwing+vstol+transport+&&view=detail&mid=76BC4F2EEAD6F540E91976BC4F2EEAD6F540E919&&FORM=VRDGAR

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vought%2fhiller%2fryan+xc-142a+tiltwing+vstol+transport+&&view=detail&mid=B12037B12239C8265D8EB12037B12239C8265D8E&rvsmid=76BC4F2EEAD6F540E91976BC4F2EEAD6F540E919&FORM=VDRVRV

Edited by DmitriKozlowsky

If you wanna go there with DO-31 VSTOL, then I say MV-22 is a better choice. It is large, and is interesting because it is a tilt-rotor. Isn't there an ED rule for developers, that experimental or one off types are verboten? Or is that just an urban legend. Becouse IMHO, Vought/Hiller/Ryan XC-142A Tiltwing VSTOL would be my choice.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vought%2fhiller%2fryan+xc-142a+tiltwing+vstol+transport+&&view=detail&mid=76BC4F2EEAD6F540E91976BC4F2EEAD6F540E919&&FORM=VRDGAR

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vought%2fhiller%2fryan+xc-142a+tiltwing+vstol+transport+&&view=detail&mid=B12037B12239C8265D8EB12037B12239C8265D8E&rvsmid=76BC4F2EEAD6F540E91976BC4F2EEAD6F540E919&FORM=VDRVRV

If you want props, than the XC-142 would be my first choice....but my overall VSTOL-favourite would be the Do-31...

But as you said, there was this "no prototypes" rule...I think....(except for the Su-25T)....so just dreaming.... ;):smilewink:

1200x675?v=1531535426

Niel Armstrong in the cockpit of the Do-31

Dornier_Do31_Landung_%28Dornier%20Museum%29_.jpg.8605146.jpg

1280px-Ling-Temco-Vought_XC-142A.jpg

• 1 month later...
pffft, Blackhawks are fine but I need something bigger. A Chinook or Stallion are what DCS desperately needs for blue. The Sea Stallion/Super Stallion would go perfectly with carrier ops.

++1 for the Super Stallion but RAZBAM needs to figure out the spawn points on their Tarawa first. Those will not work spawning on the center line of the flight deck!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

heavy super frelon, seem always build and in service in China ( Avicopter AC313 et Changhe Z-18)

01.jpg

2-2.jpg

or super puma

They are now replaced by the caracal EC 725, the H225 is civil version

special force

55367636554ec.jpg

Edited by jpbordi