Why unpacking +36Gb data after update

Why is 36+Gb data unpacking after downloading 8Gb update?

I don't have enough space on SSD disk for these unpacking procedures.

Last month i uninstalled Nevada map only for extra space for unpacking updates.

250 SSD disk isn't enough anymore for only win10 and DCS.

There is a setting to change the download folder, standby for info.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

attachment.php?attachmentid=190186&stc=1&d=1531927412

This update's size is Sierra Hotel... I've put my download folder on RAMdisk (24GB) just to have extra space for the updating process... I need more RAM now rdlaugh.png

Or an 1TB SSD aj-hm.png

(I have no drive with that much of free space left ATM) twi-norly.png

At least we get a warning now, thanks for implementing that salute.png

Edit: After juggling around some files, I'm trying with 39.1GB free space on my DCS: drive now twi-notbad.png

DL size is 12001.5GB btw, lots of work in there dealwithit.png

Edit: Would have ran out of space ~2GB short of finishing the unpacking process. Had to delete something big quickly to save the update process from dying rainbowdashwink.png

Conclusion: Updater sais it needs ~36GB, have 39GB, actually needs 41-42GB ajmug.png

Edit: Update done, free space: 40.4GB after having 39.1GB before the update and freeing up another 8.0GB.

One totally invonvenient thing happened again: I was typing stuff while the updater finished. Thanks to it popping up to foreground & focus, I closed the updater without actually noticing and was wondering if it crashed because it didn't tell me "Update to 2.5.2.19641.??? finished successfully" and just wasn't there anymore. And I was wondering why the stuff I typed in didn't actually reach the window I was typing it in. Please let the updater stay in background, saves us some shocky moments rdlaugh.png

dcs-upd-sh.jpg.a78867dbbc7037d5e82b7a77608e453c.jpg

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Why is 36+Gb data unpacking after downloading 8Gb update?

I don't have enough space on SSD disk for these unpacking procedures.

Last month i uninstalled Nevada map only for extra space for unpacking updates.

250 SSD disk isn't enough anymore for only win10 and DCS.

Open Notepad,

{
"download_dir": "X:/PATH_TO_NEW_FOLDER"
}

Save as autoupdate_settings.cfg in your /DCS World/ Main Folder, Make sure it's Formatted as ANSI (not UTF- 8 )

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Well, some time ago I've noticed the updater actually copies the data twice, downloads, then unpacks and then copies to the game. Why not unpacking directly to the game.

This might have since changed though.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• ED Team
Well, some time ago I've noticed the updater actually copies the data twice, downloads, then unpacks and then copies to the game. Why not unpacking directly to the game.

This might have since changed though.

Because things might go wrong in the middle. The way it is implemented minimizes the chances for a broken game. Steam does the same, btw.

Also, the updater moves the files to the game, not copies.

Edited by c0ff

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

For what it's worth:

Win10 has a clean-up feature that has the option to include system data.

I cleaned out my budies "brandnew" HP Ryzen laptop yesterday...a whopping ~40GB freed after cleaning it out... it "only" installed the latest 1803-Build, ca 30GB space, and some other minor things that made another 10GB.

Worth checking this every other week or so.

**forgot to add, this ONLY works on the "C" drive ! Any other drive you have to manually clean up.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

OK sorry. "small" hotfix

DCS 2.5.2.19682 Update 7 Hotfix

Updater ver. 2.9.4.76: ‘settings’ option is available in command line

DCS World

Fixed crash when the ship with the task Attack group destroys the target

Error in radiomessages for USSR country fixed

Target attributes added to ‘Search and engage’ and ‘Search and engage in zone’ tasks

DCS NS430

NS430 Navigation System added in Flat mode to all DCS aircraft (excluding A-10C, F/A-18C and Ka-50)

NS430 Navigation System integrated into L-39 3D cockpit

= 7Gb

with every new build, every protected DLL is re compiled.

So thats a few gb by itself, plus the art assets and updated scripts for the NS430, plus some 3rd party items may have been pushed into the update.