What is the Hornet good at?

pegg00

Okay so, from everything I've seen, the Hornet is mediocre at best compared to other aircraft already implemented (Eagle, Flanker, etc.). Is there any real reason to hop in a Hornet while playing multiplayer to kill other aircraft, rather than a F-15? If not, I'd like to see some other aircraft implemented that can take these fighters on in mulltiplayer. Lastly, what is the Hornet specifically made to do?

Edited by pegg00

Lastly, what is the Hornet specifically made to do?

The McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet is a twin-engine, supersonic, all-weather, carrier-capable, multirole combat jet, designed as both a fighter and attack aircraft (hence the F/A designation).

Link

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

The hornet can launch from a ship anywhere in the world, that was also the requirement when it was first built.

oops you had that in there ;)

The McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet is a twin-engine, supersonic, all-weather, carrier-capable, multirole combat jet, designed as both a fighter and attack aircraft (hence the F/A designation).

Link

Okay so, from everything I've seen, the Hornet is mediocre at best compared to other aircraft already implemented (Eagle, Flanker, etc.). Is there any real reason to hop in a Hornet while playing multiplayer to kill other aircraft, rather than a F-15? If not, I'd like to see some other aircraft implemented that can take these fighters on in mulltiplayer. Lastly, what is the Hornet specifically made to do?

It still depends on the missions and tactics, I'm sure the good su-27 pilots will give you a challenge. Have you gone up against the Su-27 in single player? Aim 9s and R-73's or guns only or perhaps give the M2000 a try, can't say I've had a go at the M2000 vs Hornet.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I don't believe the goal in producing the FA18 module was to create the ultimate killing machine to dominate multiplayer furballs. It was to meticulously create a new study level aircraft that will keep sim fans entertained for a long time.

It's not a UT Redeemer. Did I just betray my age there?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

When the F-15C can kill an aircraft, destroy a SAM guarding the base and then bomb the base itself, let us know...

And then go land on a carrier anywhere in the world, don’t forget that part too.

OP seems just a little lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Perhaps I am a little lost and was a bit to hype for this module, its great, but once ive learned all the systems(most), I just want to get out there and shoot "multiplayer furballs" but they all fly them damn F-15s and kill me before i realize im even lost. Decent at everything, great at nothing.

Edited by pegg00

The counter points are correct, but the OP is just disappointed at how much the f18 is punching below its true weight in early access. Except for cv ops, the mirage 2000 does everything better until the f18 gets its amraams and precision weapons.

P.s. the f-15 and su27 are for girls. ;)

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Perhaps I am a little lost and was a bit to hype for this module, its great, but once ive learned all the systems(most), I just want to get out there and shoot "multiplayer furballs" but they all fly them damn F-15s and kill me before i realize im even lost. Decent at everything, great at nothing.

The F-15 is a dedicated air superiority fighter. Even without the airquake advantages the simplified F-15 has over the study-level Hornet, it should beat any multirole aircraft.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

The F-15 is a dedicated air superiority fighter. Even without the airquake advantages the simplified F-15 has over the study-level Hornet, it should beat any multirole aircraft.

Unless someone sneaky uses his IRST and clubs you over the head with the R-27ET, without you even knowing his there.;) I mean this system is designed to be sneaky with your tactics right.:D

Yes I will be doing this to Hornet pilots too.:)

They all have there strengths and weaknesses, group tactics and goals are missing off many severs.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

EXACTLY, Whenever I fly the Eagle or Flanker I feel like Im playing with a toy airplane, shouldnt be considered a simulation... Which is why im dissapointed I cant compete with the Hornet. Im interested in these radar bugs youre talking about, I havent heard about this, mind explaining them a bit further?

EXACTLY, Whenever I fly the Eagle or Flanker I feel like Im playing with a toy airplane, shouldnt be considered a simulation... Which is why im dissapointed I cant compete with the Hornet. Im interested in these radar bugs youre talking about, I havent heard about this, mind explaining them a bit further?

You just need to wait until the Hornet has some more of its toys implemented and it'll be a closer match for the 15/27. Once the Hornet has IFF, TWS, Link-16/Situation Awareness page, the JHMCS, the AIM-9X and the AIM-120, it'll be a much more capable air to air fighter. IFF/TWS/AIM-120 will give the Hornet features the Eagle already has so it'll be on a fairly even keel, Link-16/Situation Awareness page is a new capability that isn't really in DCS yet (apart from the Su27/33s fairly limited datalink) but it will give Hornets a big SA advantage over the Eagle and will especially help Hornets working in pairs/fours etc. Then AIM-9X and JHMCS will make the Hornet much more lethal after the merge - it should give it the clear upper hand over the Eagle if it comes down to a knife fight. The Eagle and Flanker will always be faster and quicker accelerating than the Hornet though, it's just the way they were designed.

We need to wait and see whether the radar will get improvements over its current state - I don't think ED have given any definitive statements that the radar will maintain lock better, scan better or lock targets faster.

I don't use the hornet in mp as of now bc subjectively the radar seems to have a lower resolution compared to the "flawless" eagle radar. Additionally the lack of iff capability slows the decision making process enormously. Those are the biggest shortcomings as of now imo.

That said, as soon as those are working and the 18's sead capability is implemented, there won't be a plane offering as much flexibility. Opening a window for designated strikers and provide cap over the target is going to be great.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

F-15C is OP currently. The F/A-18C has far more advanced radar simulation and avionics even when totally Work-In-Progress state going and lacking AIM-120 capability.

The F-15C doesn't have any limitations in their radar, they don't lose lock at all same way, don't get jammed and they can carry ultimate never-miss AIM-120B/C that you can't avoid by any means (even if you fly behind the trees and beaming the missile).

If the ED will ever add the new radar simulation that F/A-18C brought to F-15C, Su-27S, Mig-29 etc, it would slower the gameplay from fast air quake to more demanding and not-so-successful BVR combat, requiring more teamwork and far more with visual range combat when in 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2.

Once we would start to get the datalinks implemented for DCS (Link-16, TKS-1, TKS-2 etc) and working IFF (we all know what are its operational principles) the things starts to go muddy and it is more up to pilots to fly and aircrafts flight characteristics than avionics.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Did someone say 120's! It's time for some spamraam's

aim120_2.jpg

I have driven the M2K for two years and the Hornet is much heavier, less maneuverable, its advantages will be in its weapons and systems when they are fully implemented. I have already managed to knock down 2 Su-27 on several occasions making proper use of countermeasures and knowing when to evade and attack. The Hornet is a module that can be clicked, it offers you the opportunity to approach the simulation that the FC3. Not everything depends on the machine, it also depends on the pilot. Greetings.

I have driven the M2K for two years and the Hornet is much heavier, less maneuverable, its advantages will be in its weapons and systems when they are fully implemented. I have already managed to knock down 2 Su-27 on several occasions making proper use of countermeasures and knowing when to evade and attack. The Hornet is a module that can be clicked, it offers you the opportunity to approach the simulation that the FC3. Not everything depends on the machine, it also depends on the pilot. Greetings.

Completely agree, we all just have to wait for these systems to implemented I suppose.

The only reason why you can not go to multiplayer with the Hornet is that the IFF is not implemented, the IFF is the system that tells you if the contact is enemy or ally.

I like the Hornet due to it's carrier-spec landing gear. Makes it slightly less likely I'll collapse the undercarriage during land-based touchdowns. :prop:

Wayne Saint

Gander, Newfoundland, Canada

"Do Unto Others BEFORE They Do Unto You..."

Apache, Comanche, Falcon, Hind, Intruder, Lightning II

Nighthawk, Rafale, Raptor, Strike Eagle, Tornado, Typhoon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My opinion is that U can't compare DCS Hornet with any other module in DCS. Its a huge step forward in realism, expecialy if we talk about the radar. In FC3 modules like the F15c is simulated the "appearance" of the radar and not the physics that is behind radar functinality. In the Hornet ED changed the point of view and simulate the electromagnetism and mechanics that are behind the functionality of radars. Its a substantial conceptual change, that is a huge step forward in realism, that makes FC3 level radars "arcadish" and OP compared to the Hornet one. When the F-15 will be at same standard U will realize how there's not so big mismatch between Hornet and Eagle.

Its not quite a fair match at the moment, the Hornet being early access is missing quite a few things that limits your situational awareness: no TWS (hard to see aspect of contacts), no IFF. Then you have the systems to manage, DDIs to set up etc, adding to the pilot workload. Comparing this to the FC3 F-15 / Su-27 which have no pilot workload, instant mode / weapon etc changes / instant IFF / TWS etc. It is just much much easier to fight in those due to their simplifications.

frankly op you sound like the sort of player that will get creamed even if you were given a fc3 f-22 module

oh and you sound like the type of armchair pilot that judges pilot skill by the amount of posts they have on the forums

My opinion is that U can't compare DCS Hornet with any other module in DCS. Its a huge step forward in realism, expecialy if we talk about the radar. In FC3 modules like the F15c is simulated the "appearance" of the radar and not the physics that is behind radar functinality. In the Hornet ED changed the point of view and simulate the electromagnetism and mechanics that are behind the functionality of radars. Its a substantial conceptual change, that is a huge step forward in realism, that makes FC3 level radars "arcadish" and OP compared to the Hornet one. When the F-15 will be at same standard U will realize how there's not so big mismatch between Hornet and Eagle.

Many were already flying the M2k against the FC3 crowd and were well aware of the limitations of a more realistic radar simulation.:smilewink:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria