What is the Hornet good at?

pegg00

The only reason why you can not go to multiplayer with the Hornet is that the IFF is not implemented, the IFF is the system that tells you if the contact is enemy or ally.

Actually the system only confirms you is the target a friend, it doesn't guarantee identification of the enemy, friend with IFF off, friend IFF damaged, aircraft without IFF, heavy ECM environment, correct IFF reply but old etc.

So with IFF you can be almost 100% sure the target is friendly if it correctly replies it is a friendly. Modern IFF shouldn't be able be spoofed electronically as the codes are changed often so time window to intercept the encrypted code and use it is very slim one.

And this is what we should really get to DCS, get the realistic IFF system where you can't be sure is the target friend or enemy if you do not receive a confirmed IFF reply. Meaning we should have pilots requirement to input the correct IFF codes and so on get situations where they made mistakes, as well have the systems get damaged, forgotten to be turned On, jammed, tried to be spoofed etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The only thing that can dominate a well flown Eagle, is another well flown Eagle. If an Eagle driver is disciplined and doesn't get dragged down low and slow, he will kick the teeth in of any Hornet, Fulcrum, Flanker, M2000C, etc.

However... If you're in your Hornet, and you can force those planes, including the F-15, down low and slow, they are done for. You can hang around, outside of their guns solutions, while they stall out. In the end, it all depends on the driver. The better driver that flies to his airframe's strengths, will almost always come out on top.

The only thing that can dominate a well flown Eagle, is another well flown Eagle. If an Eagle driver is disciplined and doesn't get dragged down low and slow, he will kick the teeth in of any Hornet, Fulcrum, Flanker, M2000C, etc.

However... If you're in your Hornet, and you can force those planes, including the F-15, down low and slow, they are done for. You can hang around, outside of their guns solutions, while they stall out. In the end, it all depends on the driver. The better driver that flies to his airframe's strengths, will almost always come out on top.

I agree for sure, I was wondering what those strengths of the the Hornet are? Low and slow? thats it? Theres got to be more than that, because its not even that great low and slow.... Especially when the Eagle can just get high and fast again in a quarter of the time the Hornet can.

Edited by pegg00

My opinion is that U can't compare DCS Hornet with any other module in DCS. Its a huge step forward in realism, expecialy if we talk about the radar. In FC3 modules like the F15c is simulated the "appearance" of the radar and not the physics that is behind radar functinality. In the Hornet ED changed the point of view and simulate the electromagnetism and mechanics that are behind the functionality of radars. Its a substantial conceptual change, that is a huge step forward in realism, that makes FC3 level radars "arcadish" and OP compared to the Hornet one. When the F-15 will be at same standard U will realize how there's not so big mismatch between Hornet and Eagle.

I wholeheartedly agree. People are forgetting three things here in this thread:

• This is an Early Access Hornet

• The current implementation of the Hornet contains attention to detail on a whole new level by ED & Belsimtek, bar a few quirks that are expected to happen on any early alpha/early access of any project, anywhere.. If this is early access, then I can't imagine how the full release will look like!

• Also the Hornet is high alpha optimised, which gives it an edge in slow speed knife fights, even in its current early state

ED went the extra miles to bring us this masterpiece at early access and people only care about how it performs in multiplayer.. Right now the Hornet is in the position of public testing, where you find something wrong and you report it. We should appreciate the hard work that ED/TFC & Belsimtek have done to get us this absolute beauty to try early instead of making us wait a year or more for the more complete version. So sit back, enjoy the early thing, I'd hold off on multiplayer in Hornet for now, and spend the time learning and perfecting the systems and procedures of the Hornet in singleplayer until it's more multiplayer capable, which it will be.. very much.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

You need to stay at your best turning speed. Stay between 350-450kts. Do not exceed 500kts. This isn't an F-15. You will immediately notice your turns widening by quite a large margin. It's also very important to not overcook your AoA in the merge, lest you lose a great deal of energy and then you're done for. Keep your G-Override in your pocket, until you really need it, like when you need to force a reversal or just need that little extra pull to get a guns solution.

I'm horrible at A-A. My main problem is keeping track of the target and maintaining SA, and my energy management needs some work. I would say after a maybe a dozen merges, I've won about 8 and lost 3-4. In the examples I lost I either lost track of the bandit, or it was the 2 times I ran across an F-15 driver that managed his E masterfully. Sadly he just flew circles around me and set me up for a beautiful deflection shot.

I wholeheartedly agree. People are forgetting three things here in this thread:

• This is an Early Access Hornet

• The current implementation of the Hornet contains attention to detail on a whole new level by ED & Belsimtek, bar a few quirks that are expected to happen on any early alpha/early access of any project, anywhere.. If this is early access, then I can't imagine how the full release will look like!

• Also the Hornet is high alpha optimised, which gives it an edge in slow speed knife fights, even in its current early state

ED went the extra miles to bring us this masterpiece at early access and people only care about how it performs in multiplayer.. Right now the Hornet is in the position of public testing, where you find something wrong and you report it. We should appreciate the hard work that ED/TFC & Belsimtek have done to get us this absolute beauty to try early instead of making us wait a year or more for the more complete version. So sit back, enjoy the early thing, I'd hold off on multiplayer in Hornet for now, and spend the time learning and perfecting the systems and procedures of the Hornet in singleplayer until it's more multiplayer capable, which it will be.. very much.

I truly, truly hope so. And I absoloutley agree the module is in and of itself a masterpeice of a simulation. But right now, its just a simulation, no PvP gameplay which when Im learning all the systems and weapons, gets me so eager to blow shit up.

You need to stay at your best turning speed. Stay between 350-450kts. Do not exceed 500kts. This isn't an F-15. You will immediately notice your turns widening by quite a large margin. It's also very important to not overcook your AoA in the merge, lest you lose a great deal of energy and then you're done for. Keep your G-Override in your pocket, until you really need it, like when you need to force a reversal or just need that little extra pull to get a guns solution.

I'm horrible at A-A. My main problem is keeping track of the target and maintaining SA, and my energy management needs some work. I would say after a maybe a dozen merges, I've won about 8 and lost 3-4. In the examples I lost I either lost track of the bandit, or it was the 2 times I ran across an F-15 driver that managed his E masterfully. Sadly he just flew circles around me and set me up for a beautiful deflection shot.

If SA and energy management in dogfights is your weak spot, I recommend learning to dogfight with any of the WW2 birds, taught me alot about the basics of dogfighting.

If SA and energy management in dogfights is your weak spot, I recommend learning to dogfight with any of the WW2 birds, taught me alot about the basics of dogfighting.

That's not a had idea. I could dust off IL2CLOD, if I wasn't this hooked on trying to fly the damned perfect bloody CASE I approach. :/

Edited by umkhunto

The F-18 module is great, but I don't see the need for all of the words like "ground-breaking" and "masterpiece." This is early access and it is full of bugs and missing systems. Let's save those words for 2020 when the module has delivered on more of its promise.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Okay so, from everything I've seen, the Hornet is mediocre at best compared to other aircraft already implemented (Eagle, Flanker, etc.). Is there any real reason to hop in a Hornet while playing multiplayer to kill other aircraft, rather than a F-15? If not, I'd like to see some other aircraft implemented that can take these fighters on in mulltiplayer. Lastly, what is the Hornet specifically made to do?

If mp fur balls are your focus then no the Bug is not your best option.

Having said that, most serious simmers are far more interested and appreciative of this fabulous jet's multirole and carrier ops abilities.

Edited by Mower

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

The F-18 module is great, but I don't see the need for all of the words like "ground-breaking" and "masterpiece."

I'm sorry this early alpha, not even beta, release didn't meet your pretty low expectations..

This is early access and it is full of bugs and missing systems. Let's save those words for 2020 when the module has delivered on more of its promise.

Wow, that's the least obvious statement I've heard in a long while.

Sarcasm aside, you seem to expect an early access with little to no bugs, most of the systems implemented and fully mission capable. This is not how it works. For an early access the Hornet is a masterpiece and ground-breaking, period.

The hornet is useless now in multiplayer due to some bugs in the radar. When they are fixed, you ll be able to cause some serious troubles to anyone. But right now you are more likely to be seen and then shot before you even know there was a bandit around (yeah the RWR will tell you but you wont be able to see it or lock on it)

The Hornet is no more useless than any other aircraft operated without teamwork. MANY of the aircraft used in the popular multiplayer servers are equally hobbled as the hornet seems to be right now and they are not in early access. That's why teamwork is so important. To call it useless is simply hyperbole.

To the OPs question...The Hornet is part of a much larger weapon system...A Carrier Battle Group. The Carrier Battle Group is a force projection tool. Unfortunately it cant project that force much farther than the coast. That's where aircraft like the Hornet come in.

The F/A-18C was designed to fulfill several requirements. When operated as a fighter it is more than capable of defending its "Home" from adversaries wishing to do it harm. When operated as an attack aircraft, it is more than capable of performing ANY land or sea attack mission.

Can it carry as large a bomb load as an A-10C? No. But it doesn't have 10,000' runways to operate from.

Is it optimized for Air to Air Combat like the F-15C? No. But space aboard a carrier is limited and specialized aircraft take up just as much space as multi-role aircraft do without the added flexibility.

The F-18C will Excel at multi-role missions. It has the ability to fly to an area, Kill a SAM radar with a HARM, Drop a few bombs on targets that pose a threat to others, then fly CAP while other aircraft finish up the job.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I'm sorry this early alpha, not even beta, release didn't meet your pretty low expectations..

No.

My expectation was an early access product that has bugs and missing features, and that is what it is. It's still a ton of fun and I'm glad I bought it. ED has made good progress and I'm looking forward to the future F/A-18 improvements.

There has to be a middle ground between negative-nancy and blowing sunshine up ED's butt, hmmm?

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

No.

My expectation was an early access product that has bugs and missing features, and that is what it is. It's still a ton of fun and I'm glad I bought it. ED has made good progress and I'm looking forward to the future F/A-18 improvements.

There has to be a middle ground between negative-nancy and blowing sunshine up ED's butt, hmmm?

It is what it is. The F-18 right now has incredible attention to detail, that's not blowing sunshine, that's stating a fact. I'll hold a middle ground when it's due, and this isn't a middle ground situation.. ED shows that this is going to be a truly mastered module that they are working extremely hard in to get it as realistic as possible. When the little bugs and FM quirks are ironed out, we will start seeing all the desired features, which ED had already promised long before EA.

I think the discussion is a bit premature, especially considering a lot of the aircraft"s systems are not currently implemented. Also, the most important variable that can't be accounted for is the pilot's skill. Though fundamentally, the aircraft was not designed to be an air superiority fighter; it was designed to be a multi-role carrier based aircraft - the power projection this en mass combination affords can't overstated enough - that can perform a wide array of missions, so comparing the Hornet to other aircraft designed and built for a different combat role is comparing apples to oranges.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

I agree for sure, I was wondering what those strengths of the the Hornet are? Low and slow? thats it? Theres got to be more than that, because its not even that great low and slow.... Especially when the Eagle can just get high and fast again in a quarter of the time the Hornet can.

Right now you're fighting with a gelded hornet. Once you have a full working Radar, with TWS, with full Hotas implementation, Link 16, Amraam, aim 9x and active decoys you will be able to:

-Able to run 1 vs many scenario with the same missile as the F15. You won't have his impresive acceleration but with just a little skill you could kill him perfectly BVR.

-Have a much better SA thanks to the link16 and moving map

-Stupidly lethal at close range with a turn of your neck (People dont realize how lethal the hornet will be with a close to 90º off boresight shooting ability)

-Much higher percentage of defeating radar guided missiles when compared to Eagles and flankers thanks to the active decoy

-Possibility to identify your target from longer visual ranger thanks to the FLIR. Remember that you will be able to point the FLIR to any locked target having a magnification of 23X (IIRC).

And all of that while going to bomb a sam site or make a quirurgical strike mission. Remember again that in a realistic mission you won't be the guy doing the air superiority tasks, but you will be more than a serious threat when providing air cover to other air packages.

That's not a had idea. I could dust off IL2CLOD, if I wasn't this hooked on trying to fly the damned perfect bloody CASE I approach. :/

I'd go for the DCS Spitfire. It's a bit like the WW2 equivalent of the bug; a bit slower than the competition, but a great low and slow turn fighter. Engine and energy management is vital when fighting against the faster and better climbing 109s.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I forgot to mention that right now you don't even have a working ECM, that could let you deny a radar lock until quite close to the merge when fighting Flankers or other similar aircraft.

There is so much you can do in the hands of a good pilot... add there a good wingman and you can stay all the time up in the stats of any MP server.