A-10C not possible to trim out in roll? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-24-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
Fred00

Default A-10C not possible to trim out in roll?

I think I've said this before, but why is it more or less impossible to trim out the A-10C in roll nowadays? I don't remember this being the case a couple of years ago. Seriously, just a few seconds after starting in the air it starts to lean left or right. A quick press to trim the opposite way and a few seconds later it starts leaning that way. Finding an equilibrium seems almost impossible and makes flying the A-10 a chore. Please ED, look over trim for this aircraft. Don't let something simple like this spoil the experience.
Fred00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:04 PM   #2
Greyman

maybe check for noise on your roll axis and insert/increase deadzone to cancel out any unwanted input that might be there.

the properties of your joystick in the windows usb game controller dialogue should show up any such unwanted movements.

oh and you might also want to check that you don't have any of those duplicate axis mappings, your rudder pedals or a twist axis for example, that might cause the aircraft to think that you want it to roll.

Merry Christmas

Last edited by Greyman; 12-25-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Greyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #3
Razor18

And also make sure you didn't leave any directional input in your rudder pedals, if you have one that is...
Razor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
Fred00

It doesn't seem to be any of those problems. I have a Warthog stick and no rudders. Setting a huge dead zone on the stick doesn't help either. Only the A-10C exhibits this behaviour.

It does seem as if the trim is too coarse in the A-10C. Making fine adjustments is not really possible. The Hornet for example is much better.

As stated, this problem was not present back in 2015-2017.
Fred00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
BonzoDCS

There's a command like 'Stick to Trim'. You can use that to make fine adjustments, it's more precise than using the trim hat.
BonzoDCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
Nooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred00 View Post
It does seem as if the trim is too coarse in the A-10C. Making fine adjustments is not really possible. The Hornet for example is much better.
It might well be like this in the real A-10. Yes, it takes a little bit of patience to trim out but it can still be done. It's just a matter of making a little effort and being gentle with the trim hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred00 View Post
As stated, this problem was not present back in 2015-2017.
No, that's incorrect. I clearly remember back in those days, the trim behavior was exactly the same.
Nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
Mud

The problem in DCS at the moment is that the trim increments are too big when using the stick. For instance in the P-51D it's pretty hard to get a proper trim without actually using the mouse and the trim wheels rather then the POV hat on the stick.

I wish they would change, or give an option for the trim changes to be in smaller increments when pressing the POV hat briefly.
Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #8
supanova

The problem is that when you centre the TVV the aircraft can still have roll in it, which is made worse by the coarse nature of trim. You can't just fine tune it with a small amount of trim, because the aircraft will just roll through it in the opposite direction. Personally I wish the A-10C trim was a bit finer, and the F/A-18 trim a bit more coarse.

Note: TM Warthog stick

Last edited by supanova; 12-26-2019 at 03:45 PM.
supanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
randomTOTEN

Trim increments are fine with my Extreme 3D Pro. I have no problems trimming all relevant modules for hands off straight and level flight.

Not seeing this issue at all.
randomTOTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
Razor18

Try AAR then. You will probably see.
Razor18 is offline   Reply With Quote