Guard Frequency

Grodlund

Hey dudes

How do you edit the Guard Frequency?

I have tried to figure it out, but failed

When you click EMG on the UFC, you can select UHF or VHF and see the default frequencies, but clicking the arrow buttons to edit them does nothing.

Not much luck using the radio panel either.

Plzhelpmkay?

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

The Guard frequencies are for emergency use, and thus can’t be changed. They are:

UHF : 243 MHz AM

VHF : 121.5 MHz AM

Here are a few notes on the radio use, that I wrote for my kneeboard, hope you may find them useful:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26hoRVzu-VR9reKBY-EQ

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Ack!

That kind of sux now, doesn't it.

I wanted to tune the Guard to the AWACS channel.

So.

We have one radio dedicated to Datalink.

And one for talking. Basically you have to be talking over the AWACS/EWR all the time then.

Unless you by cheer luck happen to have the AWACS on 243 XD

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

Ack!

No, it doesnt .. if every pilot tuned the Guard to whichever frequency they fancied, then when a real emergency call was made, no one would hear it, as everyone would have the Guard on different frequencies.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Ack!

So.

And one for talking. Basically you have to be talking over the AWACS/EWR all the time then.

The idea of the Guard frequency for emergency is to have a frequency that every aircraft can use to talk to others or ground e.g. airports in case big an emergency in flight. E. g. a fighter jet intercepts a civilian plane that is nearing a restricted airspace. As shooting down civilian plane isn't that popular in most parts of the world, the pilot can approach the plane and if the civilian pilot sees him switch to guard and can advise him to alter course, before he needs to shoot him down.

The frequency is fixed around the world, so it works universally.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

That's all good and sound logic and all, and I appreciate you taking time to answer.but.

1) this is a game

2) other aircraft can do it.

But cool.

I got the question answered. Thanx

Ack!

So.

Seriously? :doh:

The Guard channel is the GUARD channel. its not for tuning awacs. Its for listening to downed pilots or other emergencies. Not the least bit Sorry if that doesn't "work for you". :doh:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Seriously? :doh:

The Guard channel is the GUARD channel. its not for tuning awacs. Its for listening to downed pilots or other emergencies. Not the least bit Sorry if that doesn't "work for you". :doh:

I didn't ask for you to be sorry. And I don't need it either.

Listening to downed pilots might be useful in real life.

In this game however, it's not.

In this game it's useful to have a radio for AWACS/EWR.

That's why I asked.

But thx. You may keep your sorries

That's all good and sound logic and all, and I appreciate you taking time to answer.but.

1) this is a game

2) other aircraft can do it.

But cool.

I got the question answered. Thanx

What? Which other plane can edit guard freq?

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

That's why I asked.

I hate to break the news, but this is the wrong Simulation for you, if you expect to get magical toys and tools beyond what the real plane provides.

There are cheats and options provided to ease your handling of devices and reduce your workload, but Guard Frequency is a fixed frequency circuit and not a third radio.

It cannot(!) be changed by the pilot. Its purpose forbids this and it is way more than "listening to downed pilots".

A simple way to switch between frequencies are the channel presets. That might help.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

That's why I asked.

The Jeff has 2 radios one of which you typically use for the D/L, and its a very real IRL limitation of the air frame, and it increases pilot workload. You know "real simulator" issues. And honestly its not hard to punch in a different freq when you need it.

Same thing with the CM programs, unlike western jets getting a separate flare/chaff dispense button? Not there. Again, a limitation of the airframe.

Don't like it? Need Haxxx? Well, maybe this isn't the game for you.

Ace combat is that way... ---->

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The Jeff has 2 radios one of which you typically use for the D/L, and its a very real IRL limitation of the air frame, and it increases pilot workload. You know "real simulator" issues

This hubbub about radios is exactly why The block II has three radios. You weren’t supposed to use DL without it. This is why all the promotional material says Block II has datalink and we all freaked out here on the forum when Deka started showing data link Images and we realized they are incorporating block II software

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

That's why I asked.

I understand your frustration but cannot agree with your reasoning. The best bet you might have is to request someone to mod it in for you instead of expecting the developers to tweak the simulation.

Most people here spend weeks debating if functions on this simulator are reaslistic enough when compared with the actual thing. You are asking for the opposite so you can see from the responses that this is probably not the best place or software for these kinds of questions and arguements.

Calling it a game wont change the fact that this is a game within the "simulation" category and its main selling point is the incredible level of detail when compared with the real aircrafts.

These are 3RD Party Developers so if one does something for the sake of gameplay, please do not expect that all the other developers will follow through with that rule.

I have seen people talk that the developers will eventually add another radio into this jet but so far I did not find any official statement so not sure about the validity of that information. I guess we will find out when they discuss the AAR function.

I hope this helps and wish you a nice time flying.

Edited by Terrorban
typos

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 III ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - LOW EXPERIENCE - ABANDONED

They have mentioned that changes for Block II are more than just AAR. It requires different plumbing and electrics with the AAR light, landing gear lights, OBOGS, the mentioned third radio. What I’ve been trying to figure out is our payload capacity in game, last time I checked it seemed about 3700kg, which would be increased to 5000kg for block II. There is also the radar, there are many mentions that Block II introduced KLJ-7V2 with increased power. How much of the payload increase and radar power increase are software I don’t know.

It’s not the easiest thing to get concrete info on JF-17, especially now with multiple blocks. If there is concrete info out there on third radio I would love to see it. It was actually these forums where someone first mentioned the third radio to me. I decided to believe them, there’s not exactly pictures of Block II cockpits making rounds around the web and brochures are rarely more specific then “improved datalink”

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

They have mentioned that changes for Block II are more than just AAR. It requires different plumbing and electrics with the AAR light, landing gear lights, OBOGS, the mentioned third radio. What I’ve been trying to figure out is our payload capacity in game, last time I checked it seemed about 3700kg, which would be increased to 5000kg for block II. There is also the radar, there are many mentions that Block II introduced KLJ-7V2 with increased power. How much of the payload increase and radar power increase are software I don’t know.

It’s not the easiest thing to get concrete info on JF-17, especially now with multiple blocks. If there is concrete info out there on third radio I would love to see it. It was actually these forums where someone first mentioned the third radio to me. I decided to believe them, there’s not exactly pictures of Block II cockpits making rounds around the web and brochures are rarely more specific then “improved datalink”

Yeah, I mean I'd love to have a spare radio to make life easier, but if the version of the Jeff we have doesn't have, well life sucks for me. And its a good point about total aircraft weight and payload considerations.I haven't seen anything on a KLJ-7V2, though there is supposedly an KLJ-7A (AESA) for the block 3 which at a guess we won't see in game.

And yeah, I've been trying to find out some info on this "Link-17" DL we have, mainly to see if/how it interfaces with L16, but info is very scarce.

I figure Deka are the only ones with some actual good real world documentation on this plane, so we'll have to trust em.

I meant to include these links with my original post. Not much concrete info, but atleast an aggregate of the little info that is out there, including a still of a video showing Link-17 working

https://quwa.org/2016/04/05/link-17-pakistans-homegrown-data-link-system/

https://quwa.org/2015/10/17/jf-17-block-2-and-block-3-details-confirmed/

Also Block III radar is not confirmed, there are two or three competitors which also include the LKF-601, but I don’t want to go too far off topic

56619AFD-8F9B-4AC7-8BDD-8EFF7B691D1E.thumb.jpeg.b67620d94db99268f114d183030902e3.jpeg

ACB825AA-FC87-48CF-912E-E15993883922.thumb.jpeg.9d431a8f61ce5e6e89ac26a6dc0d600c.jpeg

93236C81-FC68-4C54-AFC1-1E53452F97E0.thumb.jpeg.422ce4ecceba705501fb131fbac72cc8.jpeg

E98870E2-B78D-4C61-8F23-15268EEEDA38.jpeg.1611e14db92d1f0a1231483d46aa7e5e.jpeg

Edited by AeriaGloria

I meant to include these links with my original post. Not much concrete info, but atleast an aggregate of the little info that is out there, including a still of a video showing Link-17 working

https://quwa.org/2016/04/05/link-17-pakistans-homegrown-data-link-system/

https://quwa.org/2015/10/17/jf-17-block-2-and-block-3-details-confirmed/

Also Block III radar is not confirmed, there are two or three competitors which also include the LKF-601, but I don’t want to go too far off topic

Ooooh, I so want LOAL capability for the SD-10, that would be epic! As would the whining.

Thanks for those links very enlightening.

Looks like no news on L16 and L17 compatibility, but the link suggests that its probably "translated" by the Awacs. So no fighter to fighter between JF17 and F16/18 etc.

Also what is the LS-3? I assume its just lighter or heavier version of the LS-6.

Edited by Harlikwin

Well I never asked for anything and I don't remember me expecting anyone to do anything for me either.

I just asked a question, and I think it's bad, that we are forced to talk over each other on AWACS in our squadron, when we have different flights n different channels.

As for the cheap shots at me about I should go play Ace combat and abandon DCS and shit, no idea why I deserved that. When did this community become so toxic?

I'll just set up a third channel on that magic toy software called SRS.

Yeah. I'm sure none of you elitists ever heard of it or used it. Good for you.

Have a nice day

We have, and we use it. But only with the appropriate amount of radios and channels, replicating what would be used in real life. Just like we don't want to touch guard frequency.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Well I never asked for anything and I don't remember me expecting anyone to do anything for me either.

I just asked a question, and I think it's bad, that we are forced to talk over each other on AWACS in our squadron, when we have different flights n different channels.

As for the cheap shots at me about I should go play Ace combat and abandon DCS and shit, no idea why I deserved that. When did this community become so toxic?

Have a nice day

Absolutely, one of the reasons Ciribob put in the option... but you asked about "changing the guard frequency" and that is simply not an option.

Cheating with another SRS Radio even talking over TeamSpeak, Discord or the likes is an option.

Though "elitists" may frown on that, many people do it. DCS already has a lot of options to ease workload.

But Guard Frequency isn't "another radio" that's what this commotion is about. :dunno:

Shagrat