Air to air refuel - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-06-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
colubridae

Default Air to air refuel

Finally put more fuel in than burned lining up. Needs more practice.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
colubridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
Shimmergloom667

Ok

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | UH-1H
Shimmergloom667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
Eaglewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by colubridae View Post

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
Just keep at it. Tiny stick adjustment after connection to the drogue. It would become second nature sooner than you know it.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
Harker
DCS Ground Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by colubridae View Post
That's the way it should go. Keep at it. Pick a point of reference on the tanker and fly in formation with it. AAR is nearly mandatory for employing the Hornet in realistic missions.
Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700K, RTX2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4, 960 Pro 512 GB, 970 Evo Plus 1TB, WD Gold 6TB, Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W, Acer Predator XB271HK|Hornet grip on T-50 base, Warthog side-stick, Warthog throttle, TPR pedals, 3 MFDs, MT desk mounts, TrackIR, VAICOM Pro|
F/A-18C, F-16C, JF-17, AV-8B, A-10C, M-2000C, F-14, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
Harker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #5
Gruman

I guess good job.
Just do it every flight and it gets easy soon.

TM Warthog, VPC T-50 Base, TM TPR, PointCtrl, VRK
Gruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
Tusker

Still waiting for that day to come, but I can see progress. I started out watching my airspeed on the HUD, but soon realized that I need to just relax and 'become one' with the tanker... flying with it and ignoring everything on the HUD. I now just dim the HUD down so it doesn't distract.

-----------------------
i9 9900K | Dual NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB | 64 GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD | 850 Watt Power Supply with Liquid Cooling | Thrustmaster F/A-18C Hornet™ HOTAS Add-On Grip | TPR Pendular Rudders | Warthog Dual Throttles | Track IR5 | Foxx Mounts Stick and Throttle | Massdrop AKG K7XX w SBX G6 DAC | Corsair K70 RGB Platinum | G903 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse | Acer XR382CQK
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
colubridae

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

I watched every youtube video I could. All very helpful, but the one that cracked it for me was Cap's from grim reapers.
Big thanks to him.

tusker, keep at it, you'll get there.
colubridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:47 PM   #8
RaisedByWolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmergloom667 View Post
Ok
yep
RaisedByWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:23 PM   #9
Kubiz

Took me something like 20 hours of practising to be somewhat decent at it. Usually 1-2 hours and then a break or called it a day. I practised a formation flying a little bit before though.
GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X | i5 9600k @4.7 GHz | Noctua NH-U14S | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti @OCed | Patriot 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD | Win10 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + WarBRD | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | 1440p AOC Q2790PQU
Kubiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:50 PM   #10
statrekmike

For a good long time, I was kinda anxious about learning to refuel in DCS. I suppose it was probably because the online community surrounding DCS would often make a lot of fuss about how incredibly hard it is and how frustrating it can be. That rather negative, rather demoralizing view really stuck in without me really realizing it. For some years, I played DCS without even really trying it for myself to see what it was like. I just kinda took the internet's word on it and that word was discouraging to say the least.

When the Hornet first came out, it was clear that I was going to need to learn if I was going to do realistic/authentic feeling missions in it. There was no avoiding refueling in that kind of jet (at least not without seriously compromising mission authenticity). The first try was a disaster. I really didn't know what to expect (beyond the theory behind it) and while I was able to occasionally connect, it was usually in spite of myself and never for long enough to matter. After that session frustrated me to a immense degree, I decided it would be better to simply step away and try again tomorrow. Maybe something would be different.

The next day, I was surprised to find that it was a lot easier. It was still a challenge but I was able to do a full refuel after some effort. It wasn't perfect but it was a obvious step in the right direction. The day after that was even better. I continued my daily practice for some time and now I can refuel pretty reliably. I am still not perfect but I am okay enough to count on being able to refuel without a serious issue.

Interestingly enough, I recently took a jab at refueling the F-16 and the cycle kinda repeated itself in a way. I could do the basket and probe thing pretty well but flying the lights was a whole different ballgame and required a sort of "back to square one" approach. The first attempt was a frustrating disaster but the next day was a lot better. I just need to keep that practice up and I will eventually get it pretty reliably.

Additionally. I have found that it is a perishable skill. You do need to practice every now and again to make sure you still have it down. If you don't, things can get a bit frustrating when you come back to it.

If anything. Learning to refuel highlighted a pretty serious issue in the larger online DCS community. Sometimes the narratives surrounding DCS's difficulty do more to discourage than we perhaps think.
statrekmike is offline   Reply With Quote