Su-27 tactics and radar quirks

Hello everybody. I have been using the Su-27 and 33 massively in these past weeks online. There are a few questions I have been wondering about for years but that I noticed even more recently.

I dont complain about the R-27's. They do their job well, when the radar doesnt swich off for no apparent reason, that is.

I usualy hold shooting untill 25km from target, but I have been observing this strange phenomena: Some people regardless of the targets altitude and heading seem to be able to swich your radar off. I mean its odd. I lost a target yesterday against someone flying straight at me very high and the radar just quits on me, more than once. It was supposed to light up automaticaly to let me fire up the next missie when I have radar missiles selected. When it does this, not only I missed the current missile but it also swiches to heat seekers without my imput. I am forced to fire the radar up manualy and slew through all missiles again loosing precious time. Very annoying.

Also when someone is notching, the radar some times tries to re establish lock on, other times it stays swiched off regardless.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Sounds like you were ECM blinked? Unless it was inside 25km, then I have no idea why it would be dropping the lock on you ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It's indeed anoying. That's actuly partialy modeled radar-EOS interaction where IRL you can slave the radar to the EOS- beyong 10km EOS provide azimuth data while radar provides range with very short micropulses, claimed to be undetectable by mid 80's RWR. Within 10km the radar emition is fully off and the range is provided by the laser rangefinder- fully passive mode. In case the EOS loses track (for example target goes into a cloud) the WCS automatically turns on the radar in emition mode you should not loose the lock. Once the EOS has clean IR signature in sight the radar goes off again automaticaly.

Unfortunately in LO this is messed up. As you have noticed sometimes, in good range the bandits starts beaming or goes cold then the radar is off and it's trakced by the EOS. This looks more like EOS slaved to radar but I think this is incorrect- since the radar can't track then what gives range data beyond 10km? And moreover- like you post- when the EOS looses lock(lets say bandit is turning hot) the radar doesn't come back, at least in RWS. So you have to do it manualy which is a huge crap.

What you can try to compensate that bug a lil bit is to switch at the right time the radar from "HI" to "MED" at the moment the bandits is beaming. You'll havebigger chance to keep the radar lock.

• Like 1

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Sounds like you were ECM blinked? Unless it was inside 25km, then I have no idea why it would be dropping the lock on you ...

I believe he meant radar switching off all by itself, not that he has been unable to lock it so ECM blinking is not an issue. It's more like the EOS taking over the radar which is nonsense.

One more thing- you might want to use ILV mode within 25km, it gives the most stable lock ragardless bandit's heading.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

I believe he meant radar switching off all by itself, not that he has been unable to lock it so ECM blinking is not an issue. It's more like the EOS taking over the radar which is nonsense.

One more thing- you might want to use ILV mode within 25km, it gives the most stable lock ragardless bandit's heading.

thx I have added that function to my profile (yes, unbelievably, I never used it before :D ). Hopefully it will help.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P