Backing Up DCS 1.5.2...

Anatoli-Kagari9

If I make a base install of DSC World v1.5.2 in on PC, not even logging in after the install, and save it, can I then copy it to my sim PC and start it from there, running the updater, without having to go through the full install, and then, one by one installing my modules ?

This will be great if possible because at home I have a really lausy connection.

Will it work this way ?

Thx

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Hi Jcomm,

I recently tried something similar to this. After a full format and reinstall, I ran the web installer, but did not run the program, or log in, or finish any online downloads. I then copied the 20 GB of the back up image I had taken from the old build (I also copied my Saved Games DCS profile back). All modules were unregistered prior to the back up and the folders were all in the exact same location with same name and security settings.

Failed dismally. CTD every time I tried to start the program.

Ended up re downloading the lot. Whats worse, I had 1.5.2 and 2.0.1 installed. 60GB of data to download before I had everything back.

For a game this large, there really needs to be a backup process available.

Cheers HarpO

Work :- Microsoft Surface Book | i7 | 16 GB Ram | 512 GB SSD | GeForce 965 2GB

Gaming :- AMD Threadripper 1950 X | Asus Zenith Extreme | 32 GB G-skill 14D 3200 MHz GTZ Ram | Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB NVMe | Gigabyte Aurora 1080Ti Extreme | SoundBlaster Recon 3D Fatal1ty | Enermax LiqTech 360 TR4 | EVGA 1600w G2 | Corsair Cosmos II | Phillips BDM4350UC | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick and Throttle | FSSB R3 Warthog Base | Slaw BF-109 Rudder Pedals | Track IR 5 | HTC Vive Pro Kit

Not only do they need a backup process, I think it's a good idea to release an offline installer each minor version too. With games that provide it, each minor version installer I normally chuck onto DVDs as I prefer to do it that way. What I'm saying is have an offline installer for 1.5.0 so if something does happen, the upgrade to 1.5.2 isn't such a big of a hit as the web installer is right off the bat for 1.5.2.

I HATE web installers, and if DCS wasn't what it is (only combat flight sim of its quality), I wouldn't be playing it for that exact reason.

-16AGR- 16th Air Guards Regiment is always looking for pilots - http://www.16agr.com

EWRS - Early Warning Radar Script

Specs:

Gigabyte Sniper Z5-S

Intel i5-4670k 3.4GHz OC'd 3.9GHz w/ Thermaltake 120mm Water 3.0 Pro Liquid CPU Cooler

16GB RAM

Gigabyte GTX 1080

TM Hotas Warthog: SN: 06976

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

TrackIR5 with TrackClipPro & Oculus Rift

2x 28" 4k UHD Monitors (3840x2160 each) + 1280x1024

Well, thank you both for your replies.

My experience here was successful:

1) Installed DCS 1.5.2 in a PC with a very fast connection to the INTERNET ( 100GBps ). Only made sure the disk letter and full path to the install would exactly match those of my home PC;

2) Didn't run the program a single time, and copied the Eagle Dynamics folder into my SSD external backups unit;

3) In my home PC, restored the backup, then looked for the "bin" folder and ran the updater...

The first time I ran the program at home, installed all of the modules, which I had carefully uninstalled the last time I uninstalled DCS from my home PC, so their license were still ALL available and at the same count, and it is running like a charm.

Only "problem" is that I do not have an ED folder under the Start menu or "Programs".

I am on Windows 10.

The first time I ran the program at home, installed all of the modules, which I had carefully uninstalled the last time I uninstalled DCS from my home PC, so their license were still ALL available and at the same count, and it is running like a charm.

Could you please explain this a bit further? I am planning to do the same and do not have any idea. Running DCS2.0, by the way. I need a fresh Windows 8.

@ jcomm. I had to do a os reset after a windows 10 update. My DSC installs are on another hard drive. I also don't have ED under the start menu or programs. Now I have to run CMD to repair or check for updates.

6600K @ 4.3/H100i GTX/Asus Maximus Hero VIII/Asus Tuff 3070ti/32GB Trident Z 2800/500gb 850 EVO/2* 250gb 850EVO/128gb SM951//HX750/Asus Swift PG278Q/Microsoft FFB2/Thrustmaster Warthog/Thrustmaster pedals/TIR 5/Windows 10/64

One can always cut&paste the link to the DCS Updater, and run it instead of the DCS executable. This way it'll always check first for any updates.

All executables are under the "bin" folder.

I made my copy of the ED install into the system where it wasn't installed, and simply ran the updater from there. The only thing I made sure was equal between both systems was the partition letter. It was "F:" on both systems.

What do you mean by "installed all of the modules" please?

You did not downloaded them from scratch, did you?