"gun mode" and "cannon"?

Guest deeplodokus

Guest deeplodokus

Hi, I'm a bit unsure about "gun mode" (Lctrl-1) and "cannon" ©. What's different between these 2 key assignments?

Seems like "gun mode" rotates between K1 (gun a2a) and K2 (gun a2g), whereas "cannon" only gets to K1 (gun a2a). Therefore it seems I should just assign "gun mode" to my HOTAS and not "cannon". Am I right, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I assume the default Cannon Mode being A/A is because this is primarily a fighter & You want to be able to quickly swap between Magic & Guns instantly in a dogfight without releasing the controls.

When you are doing A/G attacks, you generally have to plan more in advance. Identify target, Line up, Select correct weapon, select ranging mode, CCRP, CCIP or Gun mode and fly onto the target, so releasing the throttle to press a couple of buttons is less intrusive.

ATM I don't see any movement in the A/G pipper regardless of what I do. It just seems to act like a gun cross (ie fixed), and seems to be zeroed to a very close range, and/or small speed range. so it might not make any difference which mode you use.

I think "C" cannon is a left over from DCS default mappings.

The only way I know for selecting cannons in the Mirage are:

- HOTAS select magic / A-A gun

- PCA select A-A(K1) / A-G(K2) gun

I don't remember Mirage having other controls for gun selection (I tried to find it in real manual).

I suggest not using "C".

P.S.: To answer OP's initial question, you should assign Magic/Gun select on HOTAS ("Magic II SELECT" in controls) (default mapping should be "M", in HOTAS section).

Use mouse and PCA to use A-G mode (K1/K2)

Edited by PiedDroit

- PCA select A-A(K1) / A-G(K2) gun

Yeah, this should not be. PCA only for AG. And no K1/K2. That's the WIP part.

P.S.: To answer OP's initial question, you should assign Magic/Gun select on HOTAS ("Magic II SELECT" in controls) (default mapping should be "M", in HOTAS section).

Use mouse and PCA to use A-G mode

Ahem... Typo?

spacer.png

Yeah, this should not be. PCA only for AG. And no K1/K2. That's the WIP part.

Ahem... Typo?

Not typo.

In controls, "HOTAS" section, "Magic II SELECT" actually cycles between Magic IIs ang A/A gun, but this is how it is done now in DCS, the switch behaves differently IRL.

In DCS this keybind will change PCA selection between K1 and MAG.

According to RL manual, that HOTAS switch (on the Throttle) has 3 positions that allows selecting Magic II's and guns without changing PCA.

That switch positions should be:

- PCA selection (middle)

- Magic II

- Gun

Which means that normally using the HOTAS Magic/Gun/PCA switch should not change anything on PCA selection, it just overrides the current PCA selection.

For example:

- if I have K2 selected on PCA, this switch should toggle between Magic II / A-A gun / A-G gun (K2 selected on PCA).

- If I have S 530 selected on PCA, that switch should toggle between Magic II / A-A gun / S 530 (selected on PCA).

And so on...

Selector_MagicGunPCA.png.8f4e9a0b15c0b30038d4106878cc1e32.png

Edited by PiedDroit
Add picture

I know that.

My reacting was because you propose to use "Magic II SELECT" when there already is a "Cannon SELECT" control that is better suited.

"Magic II SELECT" is not really a "cycle" control at the moment in DCS; it may look like one because currently with master arm up, guns is the default mode. ;)

Edited by Azrayen

spacer.png

I know that.

My reacting was because you propose to use "Magic II SELECT" when there already is a "Cannon SELECT" control that is better suited.

"Magic II SELECT" is not really a "cycle" control at the moment in DCS; it may look like one because currently with master arm up, guns is the default mode. ;)

I know it's all wrong but it's the one control that best serves the purpose of cycling close combat weapons.

Another possibility which requires multiple free buttons (or programming a sequence) is to use both keybinds, but since pressing Magic II SELECT twice will return to gun, it would only bring confusion (at least while it behaves like that), this is why I don't advise to use HOTAS Cannon SELECT at all.

Unfortunately both (HOTAS Cannon SELECT and HOTAS Magic II SELECT) alter PCA setting, where they should only override it until the user deselects them.

Mhmm, I understand.

But I don't like it.

I prefer to learn the correct way already (even if not the most practical at the moment because of beta status) rather than learn (advice) a different way that only works because of the module current state. That other way will have to be unlearnt eventually...

spacer.png

Mhmm, I understand.

But I don't like it.

I prefer to learn the correct way already (even if not the most practical at the moment because of beta status) rather than learn (advice) a different way that only works because of the module current state. That other way will have to be unlearnt eventually...

I see, no problem.

There is no good answer to OP's question yet :(

To get this straight, I need Magic II Select and Close Combat Select bound to my hotas. This is all I need to cycle through all the types of radar lock varieties and guns.

You'll probably want to add the Special Modes DESELECT to disable the CCM radar modes and return to normal search. The Close Air Combat Mode SELECT button will cycle the CCM radar modes.

Currently that should be sufficient, as Magic II SELECT cycles Magic/A-A guns. This doesn't really match the actual aircraft controls so you might want to allocate 3 buttons for future use: Magic II Select, Cannon Select, and neutral (use PCA); for when/if Razbam implement this fully.

Then again, Razbam may well implement an additional control to cycle through the 3 modes for those that can't or don't want to allocate 2-3 buttons for this.

Edited by nomdeplume
  • Like 1

Thanks for that, it clears up a lot on my end.

I love this aircraft, it's pretty much all I fly anymore. But sometimes it's frustrating/confusing when you don't know if something is intended, wip, or buggy when a plane isn't quite finished.

Thanks again!

• 2 years later...

A2A Gun

So for me, use the select the Air-to-Air Gun keybind, toggle the Master Arm, and Gun Arm switches on, and squeeze the trigger (or whatever you have for firing the weapon). That’s all there is to it, good luck with shooting though, it seems to be absurdly difficult to hit anything with.