Thank you ED for the new AI!

Pikey

I'm actually impressed, there were big dog fighting and defensive differences I noticed in the patch today, I almost thought my AIM-54 had been nerfed, and when I found myself in a scissors with an AI Tomcat I was quite taken aback, it didn't feel like an AI, it felt more human than it ever has before.

At range, they circle to notch you, apply sensible countermeasures and defend Phoenix's with impressive lack of repetition and consider kinematic defeat more readily by flying cold. They recommit properly without getting stuck in "Perma-defence mode".

I expected nothing today and only flew the same I normally fly, and couldnt work out why the AIM-54 success rate was far lower than usual with a lot of dropped tracks.

I haven't managed to actually "test" AI dogfighting. It's too late now but I want to see if it tries that same old vertical nonsense, but reviewing three hours of tacview and a lot of merges I have to say I just dont think so. When you gain angles on AI before, it would launch up into the vertical and do these repetitive overpowered vertical loops you couldnt catch. Saw none of that tonight.

Honestly DCS felt like a completely different game tonight, and I'm really super excited that there has been this level of effort in the core game.

Good stuff gents!

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

So True !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL ;)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I'd be even more impressed if we could have some under the hood explanation what has been upgraded. I tested it yesterday and didn't see any difference. I'll try again.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4069345&postcount=219

This will give you some details regarding the AI changes, to which you inquired.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I did not notice any of those differences in the AI behavior mentioned by Pikey. The newsletter says that the AI changes should be part of this week's open beta, but I already have turned on the open beta on steam.

The only thing I have not tested yet is the AI for WW2 aircraft.

• ED Team

Thanks so much for the feedback, when I read the changes I was super excited, and a little nervous about how you guys would see it. I am glad that most of the feedback has been good, and that it doesn't sound like it will need much tweaking. I am excited about more AI tweaks in the future, keep the feedback coming, good or bad, I/we want to hear it!

I'm actually impressed, there were big dog fighting and defensive differences I noticed in the patch today, I almost thought my AIM-54 had been nerfed, and when I found myself in a scissors with an AI Tomcat I was quite taken aback, it didn't feel like an AI, it felt more human than it ever has before.

At range, they circle to notch you, apply sensible countermeasures and defend Phoenix's with impressive lack of repetition and consider kinematic defeat more readily by flying cold. They recommit properly without getting stuck in "Perma-defence mode".

I expected nothing today and only flew the same I normally fly, and couldnt work out why the AIM-54 success rate was far lower than usual with a lot of dropped tracks.

I haven't managed to actually "test" AI dogfighting. It's too late now but I want to see if it tries that same old vertical nonsense, but reviewing three hours of tacview and a lot of merges I have to say I just dont think so. When you gain angles on AI before, it would launch up into the vertical and do these repetitive overpowered vertical loops you couldnt catch. Saw none of that tonight.

Honestly DCS felt like a completely different game tonight, and I'm really super excited that there has been this level of effort in the core game.

Good stuff gents!

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=252357 couple of more comments on the AI as mentioned in this thread

Long aiming times even on excellent.

In general very good behavior, definitely felt like a player vs player battle for the most part. Although I should have died at least twice, if it wasn;t for the long aiming times on the AI (even on excellent (MiG-15 vs Sabre).

AI should try to take more chancy shots in situations like scissors, where the enemy might cross your crosshair for a brief moment only and a pre-fire might result in a hit. AI could also benefit of trying to work together.

Seems like the more modern the airframes gets, the more adjustment the AI need.

Overall, pretty good initial release I would say, awesome stuff. I've heard they all got new missile defense and offense techniques. Will get back to you when I try them out.

Oh and my MiG took like 20 50cal. bullets and it didn't even have a scratch on the external model, but that's a different topic

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I'm curious about dogfight physics now. What used to irritate me about all the AI, even the WWII birds, is that they always had a >1 thrust-to-weight ratio and could outclimb you in all regimes.

You can make the AI flight performance much more realistic by improving things like the aerodynamics matrix. I have done it for the Spitfire and now it feels much more like if it was flown by a real human.

Apologies for my ignorance but isn't the AI update just for the WW2 aircrafts?

The OP mentions Phoenix missiles, so unless he was recreating scenes from Final Countdown, I'd presume it's for all.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Apologies for my ignorance but isn't the AI update just for the WW2 aircrafts?

No Nineline, i believe said, that it would be more noticeable in close dogfighting situations but does apply to the overall AI in-game. Not a precise quote but along those lines

Flew a Spitfire on Normandy map vs 4x 109 with varying levels of skill.

Cons - As usual the SFM issues are still there, uber vertical energy retention etc.

Pros - the gunnery of the AI is far more convincing for it's inaccuracy. There were many more rounds passing close around me, where before it felt like if the AI had a guns solution, every round was on target, and their laser accurate deflection shots at ranges >300m are seemingly gone.

The willingness to fire at an already crippled a/c may need some tweaking however; as I descended with a blown engine having got too slow trying to follow a 109 doing it's trademark impression of an ICBM I was still engaged by an AI eager to put my notch on his bed post.

As usual the SFM issues are still there, uber vertical energy retention etc.

I'm with you, but I remember reading that using PFM for all AI aircraft would prove to be too much for the CPU. Perhaps after the switch to Vuclan and real multi-CPU support are completed, they can revisit the issue.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro