LSO Grades?

canned_fire

I've seen the WIP carrier comms that we currently have on the Stennis give out grading, I'd imagine this will be included but I can't say this is 100% confirmed.

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

I think the SH break ended in the 80s. Not sure exactly when, but someone must have pranged something, and one mistake is paid for by everyone forever after in the Navy.

That's why you wear helmets to the aircraft. Someone probably tripped and hit their head on something.

The over-riding mantra is CYA. It's not MY fault fireman Scmedlap hurt himself, I posted a regulation against any form of self harm, including tripping on a knee-knocker during GQ drills...

<edit>

I should add the real danger wasn't people who failed to step over the knee-knocker at a run, it was the people who failed to duck when they did so)

</edit>

I think the SH break ended in the 80s. Not sure exactly when, but someone must have pranged something, and one mistake is paid for by everyone forever after in the Navy.

That's why you wear helmets to the aircraft. Someone probably tripped and hit their head on something.

The over-riding mantra is CYA. It's not MY fault fireman Scmedlap hurt himself, I posted a regulation against any form of self harm, including tripping on a knee-knocker during GQ drills...

<edit>

I should add the real danger wasn't people who failed to step over the knee-knocker at a run, it was the people who failed to duck when they did so)

</edit>

The SH break has never been permanently banned. It’s been around before the 80s, and hasn’t stopped since.

What the heck is a "SH break"?

here ya go

Good luck doing it though. Only the best can do it in real life and most do not do it if that tells you anything about the level of difficulty. The hornet would be easier to do it in with fly by wire but I saw videos of guys doing it in tomcats which is nutty. The SXXt Hot Break is still very much done today.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

here ya go

Good luck doing it though. Only the best can do it in real life and most do not do it if that tells you anything about the level of difficulty. The hornet would be easier to do it in with fly by wire but I saw videos of guys doing it in tomcats which is nutty. The SXXt Hot Break is still very much done today.

:thumbup:

Wow, that looks really cool. Time to practice! :pilotfly:

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

The SH break has never been permanently banned. It’s been around before the 80s, and hasn’t stopped since.

Well, THAT'S good to hear. Nice that some people are still allowed to have fun. They got really wrapped around the shaft when we did.

Might have been the nature of our job, but still...no sense of humor at all.

Well, THAT'S good to hear. Nice that some people are still allowed to have fun. They got really wrapped around the shaft when we did.

Might have been the nature of our job, but still...no sense of humor at all.

Occasionally when the SHB gets gooned up, CAG will “turn off” the SHB for a time (for his airwing...for that underway). It eventually will get turned back on.

There’s NEVER been a navy wide ban. Never even a discussion. That’s why your post was so interesting to me.

Occasionally when the SHB gets gooned up, CAG will “turn off” the SHB for a time (for his airwing...for that underway). It eventually will get turned back on.

There’s NEVER been a navy wide ban. Never even a discussion. That’s why your post was so interesting to me.

Which is why I am so happy to see yours. Never worked on a carrier, aviation was my first choice until I got talked into splitting atoms. Apparently nearly acing the ASVAB puts a target on your back.

I heard about the ban in '85 when we were AW while doing quals up in CIC (and pissing everyone off - I set a precedent). The TAO mentioned it while we discussed flight ops. Lex mentioned something like that in one of his videos as well, so I just assumed the TAO (from 35 years ago) knew what he was talking about. Should have known better...he wasn't real bright in general.

We sent a pair of F-14s to check on an Egypt Air flight that was off the paring line. Being F-14 drivers they did so a little energetically, and the airline pilot must have thought they were Iranian. He turned around and went home.

here ya go

Not really, with some practice you can do it pretty consistently on dcs (hornet)

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

Well now you're just showing off lol! Really cool GB! That was a Charlie and not a rhino correct? Also, why was the ATC symbology up at the hud? I thought you couldn't have autothrottle during a shb

That wasn’t me. That was a legacy hornet. The pilot flew an ATC pass. That’s allowed with a SHB. Dirty up and click on ATC. The impressive part of a SHB is not the pass; it is the energy of the break combined with break location....ending up with an on-and-on start that is impressive.

That wasn’t me. That was a legacy hornet. The pilot flew an ATC pass. That’s allowed with a SHB. Dirty up and click on ATC. The impressive part of a SHB is not the pass; it is the energy of the break combined with break location....ending up with an on-and-on start that is impressive.

Oh I thought you flew charlies for a time as well and that the tape was yours. Well coming from a Layman pretty much everything is impressive. Slowing down from 600 kts to on speed on aoa in a descending turn 600 ft above the deck to arrive at a precise location at a precise speed at a precise altitude and attitude really is mind blowing. In retrospect that's what you said. What simmers usually fail to acknowledge is how high the stakes are and how physically demanding and brain-intensive these tasks are. And it's all done just to shave a few seconds off recovery cycle and to look good...

And knowing that ATC can handle a s!&@t hot is a true testament to how rugged and flexible the system is. The change in energy state with so many variables happening at once would lead me to believe that using it in such a scenario was a big no-no. Something new every day. Thanks

Oh I thought you flew charlies for a time as well and that the tape was yours. Well coming from a Layman pretty much everything is impressive. Slowing down from 600 kts to on speed on aoa in a descending turn 600 ft above the deck to arrive at a precise location at a precise speed at a precise altitude and attitude really is mind blowing. In retrospect that's what you said. What simmers usually fail to acknowledge is how high the stakes are and how physically demanding and brain-intensive these tasks are. And it's all done just to shave a few seconds off recovery cycle and to look good...

And knowing that ATC can handle a s!&@t hot is a true testament to how rugged and flexible the system is. The change in energy state with so many variables happening at once would lead me to believe that using it in such a scenario was a big no-no. Something new every day. Thanks

ATC is not used during the SHB. It is clicked on (if desired) after configuring in the break, not during the break.

I did fly charlies for a while but it just wasn’t my tape (or channel).

I enjoy that HUD tape as much as you do. And as you said, it’s a very challenging thing to pull off, but damn is it fun!

Obligatory reference WRT the SHB:

https://sofrep.com/fightersweep/the-ultimate-carrier-break/

"His signature maneuver was to approach the Boat at 600 knots and 600 feet. Not all that unusual in and of itself, but Nasty would bring his section of F-14s in 30 degrees inside the wake so that he would have more than 180 degrees to slow down. He would hit the intersection of ship and wake and snap, knife edge over the platform, both saluting and taunting the LSOs who stood slack-jawed with necks craned staring up at him. No plane ever looked more beautiful than the Tomcat in the break, wings pinned back to 68 degrees like a supersonic dart.

Nasty would hit the abeam a little fast and wide, but nailing 600’. He would give the nose one more emphatic reef, slowing down enough to spread the wings and drop the gear. With 90 to go the flaps would be fully deployed and Nasty would be on profile, though still about 20 knots fast. He would roll into the groove a little high and fast, and work it down with such patience and precision that it was a joy to watch. After the inevitable 3-wire, I would turn to the writer with a big smirk and say what I always did, “High fast start, little high fast in the middle. OK pass.”

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2