Eagerly awaited aircraft for DCS World

phant

Yeah, just like they weren't interested in doing a certain plane that only has A/G weapons, Sidewinders and a great big gun...

Agreed about A/A, but A/G aircraft were the core of DCS from the very first module. For a long time, DCS was just about the A-10 and then Ka-52, neither of which is much good for air to air. They can do that in a pinch, just like the F-111F. Even today, most people in DCS are moving mud in singleplayer. F-111F fits the ED's customer base and preferences like a glove, plus Chizh supposedly stated he's a fan of the aircraft in some interview ages ago.

You try really hard to convince everyone that its F111. You realise though that even if you succeed, it still wont increase the chance that it really is F111?

No, but the chances are pretty good already. :) I'm only doing this to save those who delude themselves into thinking it's Su-27, Apache, F-35, F-22 or F-4 some grief.

Face it: nothing else fits. Not only does the F-111F has enough of a following to make it qualify for "highly anticipated" (though most people would rather see it done by Heatblur), no other plane that would actually fit that description is in the running, and a few had been explicitly denied.

. For a long time, DCS was just about the A-10 and then Ka-52, neither of which is much good for air to air. [/Quote]

KA-50 was first, then later A-10C was released.

The KA-50 was designed carry IGLA and R-73 missiles, but even with the Vikhr it is more than capable engage low flying aircrafts.

But problem in DCS is that Shkval and Vikhr ain't properly modeled and it makes it too difficult or almost impossible be used properly against air threats.

F-111F fits the ED's customer base and preferences like a glove, plus Chizh supposedly stated he's a fan of the aircraft in some interview ages ago.

It doesn't. The F-111 is much talked in last 2-3 years, but it is mainly a fast bomber to perform strike at long distance and then come back.

The DCS maps do not really support it by distance.

And it is dual-pilot operated that doesn't match the customer base that is for single player, why KA-50, A-10C, F/A-18C, F-16C etc. The F-14 is the first fighter with dual cockpit and it gets barely over the requirement of RIO capabilities compared to human.

Now add A-6, F-15E etc and it starts to be more challenging. Even the Mi-24P needs proper AI and even preferred to have human.

The maps range is real challenge as for some reason we can't have a strategic bombers or large cargo aircrafts etc, as flying 400 km from base to base isn't really fitting to them like fighters does.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I dunno, Syria is pretty big, especially when Cyprus gets added. It'd be good enough for F-111F, even though the distances will still be on the short side. TBH, you could make that argument for a lot of planes that we do have. The F-15 would, realistically, also fly longer sorties than you can do in Caucasus. You pretty much have to fly it from one end of the map to the other in full AB in order to make a dent in the fuel state. Same for F-18 and F-14, they've got a lot more gas that you'll usually need.

Again, most of ED's customer base does mainly air to ground. F-111F does air to ground, and does it in a very different way than the A-10 does. The "brain melting" part is how they are supposed to make it work in SP, despite it being a two-seater. As a matter of fact, ED had effectively ran out of modern, US-made single seaters by now.

If you think you have a more likely candidate, go right ahead. F-111F wouldn't be my first pick, either, but it's what's left from excluding all the things that were denied. Other options are even less likely.

• Like 1

No, but the chances are pretty good already. :) I'm only doing this to save those who delude themselves into thinking it's Su-27, Apache, F-35, F-22 or F-4 some grief.

Face it: nothing else fits. Not only does the F-111F has enough of a following to make it qualify for "highly anticipated" (though most people would rather see it done by Heatblur), no other plane that would actually fit that description is in the running, and a few had been explicitly denied.

Su-27 obviously not because Nineline told it's not going to be REDFOR aircraft, F-22 and F-35 are strictly classified (and F-35 is not "modern but not too modern" - it's just super modern), F-4 is being confirmed work in progress, just low priority for now - but Apache?

Apache fits every singe hint they made:

- it's modern, but not too modern (1980s) Cold War/Desert Storm "A" model may be already declassified,

- not officialy announced before,

- not REDFOR,

- very highly anticipated - to the point of obsession with many guys spamming different Matt Wagner's videos comment sections seeing Apache hint in some random sentences :)

- complex with many groundbreaking techologies like one eye IHADSS integrated with FLIR and cannon, multicrew,

- it would be the most obvious bestseller,

- it's a Boeing aircraft and Matt told they bought few licenses from Boeing in a pack (F/A-18C they made, F-15E they gave/sold to RAZBAM and what? What other product Boeing has except Apache, attractive for commercial mil sim?)

- it's already made by ED for military contractor branch of DCS.

I think there are only few possible aircrafts left which can fit most of their hints, Apache, F-111, Tornado, F-117, V-22 - but except Apache everyone misses something, F-111 - i'm not sure it's that brainmelting/highly anticipated, Tornado - TrueGrit announced initially thay want to make it after typhoon and they have connection with producer, F-117 is a legend but not too complex really except it's shape/stealth and FlyingIron is already making one (for XPlane initially) and V-22 is not much of a combat aircraft, i would say lightly armed transport.

Let's try to be objective, and not to force any agenda or convince anybody as Sparrow88 rightly noticed - it's not going to increase the chance of some module.

And to be honest i would like any of this.

Apache is basically already announced, though. It wouldn't be at all surprising, since they went out and said that it's a matter of "when", not "if". The new aircraft wasn't even teased, which eliminates the Apache.

The others you listed are pretty much reserved by other developers. TrueGrit for Tornado, and FlyingIron for F-117. Additionally, F-117's payload is not diverse enough to interest ED, making it highly unlikely. V-22 is in the same boat, it's my second pick after F-111F (it'd surely be challenging to fly), but they already stated they don't want a non-combat aircraft, and V-22 only has a minigun turret and the ramp MG (both optional), which I'm not sure would quality it.

Someone on Reddit suggested the possibility of the SR-71, which does actually check all the boxes as far as I can remember (modern, but not too modern? Check. Not REDFOR? Check. Not currently announced so far as I know? Check. Difficult to fly? Check. And modeling its engines and intakes would definitely be a technical achievement).

I don't think it is that, because our maps aren't really big enough to use it correctly (and there's no real use in DCS for a reconnaissance aircraft right now anyway). Even so, I have to admit, I'd buy it day 1. And then I'd take off from Nellis, tank, turn around, and blast down the strip at full burner wishing all the windows were breakable so I could take the most epic screenshot ever.

Someone on Reddit suggested the possibility of the SR-71, which does actually check all the boxes as far as I can remember (modern, but not too modern? Check. Not REDFOR? Check. Not currently announced so far as I know? Check. Difficult to fly? Check. And modeling its engines and intakes would definitely be a technical achievement).

I don't think it is that, because our maps aren't really big enough to use it correctly (and there's no real use in DCS for a reconnaissance aircraft right now anyway). Even so, I have to admit, I'd buy it day 1. And then I'd take off from Nellis, tank, turn around, and blast down the strip at full burner wishing all the windows were breakable so I could take the most epic screenshot ever.

The thing is, its whole mission isn't really supported in DCS, it wouldn't be much more than a show aircraft. And its performance only really makes sense with appropriate maps and a dynamic campaign with a more fledged reconnaissance aspect. Now the Viggen has some amount of ELINT capability but it can't really be fully utilised in DCS (something that will probably have to wait until a dynamic campaign comes).

Flying without any way to take part in combat directly. Sounds fun

Whoopsie, am I using the Yak-52 wrong?

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

People are saying the maps are too small for the F-111, but you think the SR-71 is coming? You would cross an entire map before you even got to cruise altitude

-Alex

i9-12900K | RTX3080 | 32GB DDR4 | Water Cooled | Logitech X56 | TrackIR5 | 34" MSI Curved Widescreen 3440x1440

People are saying the maps are too small for the F-111, but you think the SR-71 is coming? You would cross an entire map before you even got to cruise altitude

That can be easily tested - send MiG-25 or 31 from 1 side of the map to the other. M=3 is fast, but not that fast enough so that it seemed like the plane teleports from the AF to the border of the map

Well, that's one popular module. And its completeness perfectly shows its popularity

Am I using it wrong though? Y'know, the question I asked...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

modern, but not too modern?

Very much not check. SR-71 had its first flight in 1964. It's the aircraft from the same era as the F-4, which is, as far as ED is concerned, firmly in "historical" bracket. Now, the F-111 had its first flights at around the same time, but the F-111F standard came much later and is quite modern. SR-71 was not, it was flown with steam gauges and astronavigation until it was retired.

Regarless of its continued use, SR-71 should be considered a 60s aircraft.

I'm standing firm, F-15C :music_whistling:

Explicitly denied due to lack of A/G capability. I'd love it, and contrary to popular belief, it can carry dumb bombs and has an A/G radar mode, but it's about as good at this as the MiG-29.

Yeah, the F-111F fits the timeframe of the current Tomcats we have perfectly, as well as the overwhelming majority of the current assets in DCS (aside from WWII and our more modern modules).

System:

If you think you have a more likely candidate, go right ahead. F-111F wouldn't be my first pick, either, but it's what's left from excluding all the things that were denied. Other options are even less likely.

The only thing that does not fit is that its not brain melting :P For me brain melting means that its something considered hard or impossible to model.

The only thing that does not fit is that its not brain melting :P

Well, you could fly supersonic and put your forehead on the canopy :music_whistling: Pretty sure the skin heating is what limited the top speed of the later variants with better engines (that or maybe the intakes).

System:

The only thing that does not fit is that its not brain melting :P For me brain melting means that its something considered hard or impossible to model.

You should notice that F-111F would require an AI copilot, and side-by-side multicrew for multiplayer. Brain-melting enough for you? :) FYI, this is very hard to do given the current engine constraints, but it's something that the helo crowd wanted really badly for quite a while.

That can be easily tested - send MiG-25 or 31 from 1 side of the map to the other. M=3 is fast, but not that fast enough so that it seemed like the plane teleports from the AF to the border of the map

I have officially flown in DCS faster than MiG-25, MiG-31 or SR-71 ever could have achieve, and same time as well higher than any of them been able.

I can say that you will cross the Caucasus in no time from one side to another, as after all flying at speed of over 1.4 km per second, you will get experience that makes anything else feel stupid slow.

So I can by experience say that any of those will not add any good expectations from me....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Calm, MiG-25 and MiG-31 are still strictly classified, unfortunately even R-40 missile from 1970s. And Blackbird is unarmed = not mainstream product.

Where did you get that info? 25 is long out of service (except for RBT variant) and its pretty old aircraft anyway (Contemporary to late MiG-21s and early 23s). There isnt much stuff that could be classified. Unless ED wants to claim that they cant do old interceptors from 70s (On which I´m higly doubtfull).

I specifically said that I didn't think it was the SR-71. Just that someone had suggested it, and that the idea amused me/appealed to me, so I mentioned it.

The thing is, its whole mission isn't really supported in DCS, it wouldn't be much more than a show aircraft. And its performance only really makes sense with appropriate maps and a dynamic campaign with a more fledged reconnaissance aspect. Now the Viggen has some amount of ELINT capability but it can't really be fully utilised in DCS (something that will probably have to wait until a dynamic campaign comes).

Yeah, I pretty much said that myself.

Ultimately, I'd buy it if they made it, just to fly the Blackbird. But I don't actually expect them to make it.