F-8 Crusader (F-8U)

Maximo

For RAZBAM thread specifically: I wanted to bring up the F-8 Crusader -- I think this would be a good match up for the MiG-21. The U.S. Navy did use it for something called dissimilar air combat training (DACT)...using the F-8 to represent the MiG-21. This would give the MiG-21 a good 1 v 1 dogfight on the servers, campaigns, etc.

F-8 vs MiG-21. Or F-8 against F-8 (opposing side). Would like to see it flight modeled and mouse driven cockpit like the F-86F. Maybe a Museum Relic type of campaign with MiG 21 and MiG 15 aircraft in the mix....

Guns, rockets, air-to-air missiles, bombs, reconnaissance cameras, folding wings. Inflight refueling probe too - was considered very difficult to air refuel because the drogue basket was like 2 feet from the canopy of the F8 pilot....would break a lot of canopies! (hey, we're DCS pilots....we LOVE a challenge!!! :-)

Also, I can't imagine what it would be like to also land this jet with the wing raised up for landing it on an aircraft carrier--must have been a very flat approach to the carrier deck even with flaps down and the wing up.

Could use Caucasus maps, etc.

LOVE this jet! If you forget to lower the wing before entering very high speeds, you can rip the wing off (if still in the raised position).

Will update this intro thread as time permits.

Has four 20 mm cannons (firing below...un-retouched photo):

blazngun.jpg

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1310x700.wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1310x700.F-8E_VMFAW-235_DaNang_Apr1966.jpg

f-8-crusader-large-56a61c583df78cf7728b64d6.JPEG

F-8E_VMF-212_CVA-34_1965_%28cropped%29.jpg

rf8-4.jpg

RF8A_Cockpit.jpg

Are these 2000lb bombs and Zuni rockets?

F-8Ewf2000-lbbomblowres.jpg

NAVAL+AIR+TEST+CENTER+PATUXENT+RIVER+%26+MARYLAND+%26+NATCI+2.jpg

f8conv-photo-lg.jpg

Below: Look at his wings!!! They're still folded! (not a fake photo). Try flight modeling that!!! :-)

F-8wingsfolded67.jpg

Bullpup air to ground missile on F-8

agm12b.jpg

1e67a70faecf75b3a159c4fc1780d68b.jpg

(end)

Edited by Maximo

I started to dream about this aircraft as soon as I found A7 thread for which I'm h...y as hell also. There was already a discussion in the past, but not sure if on dedicated thread, Razbam didn't say definite no, but they didn't say definite yes too. Anyway my heart sings each time I see a good idea like this and I hope the developers are warming up for this bird too :). I'd buy everything I fly and don't fly from developer that would make this bird and make it good.

The A-7E is an F-8, but better!

Ehhh... not really. Two very different aircraft with a similar family chassis.

F-8 Crusader

Dedicated air superiority and fleet defense fighter

Supersonic, top speed 1,000mph-plus

Armed with 4 AIM-9 Sidewinder heat seeking missiles and 4 20mm cannons with 125 rounds per gun

Had limited ground attack capability, the two shoulder mounts could hold a total of 8 Zuni rockets, and two wing pylons could carry 4,000lbs of ordinance or 2 fuel tanks

A-7 Corsair II

Dedicated ground attack aircraft

Subsonic, top speed 690mph at sea level, 685mph at 5,000ft without ordinance

6 underwing pylons could carry 15,000lbs of ordinance, or 4 fuel tanks

Had limited air combat ability, armed with two AIM-9 Sidewinder heat seeking missiles and a 20mm Vulcan cannon with 1,030 rounds

I agree with you though. While I like the Crusader, what I really want to see is the A-7 Corsair II in both Navy and Air Force versions. But Navy would work. :thumbup:

Team Red wish MiG-23/27, Su-17/22, Su-24, Su-30 C, Yak-130, Tu-16, Tu-95, Tu-22M

Team Blue want AH-1W, AH-64, Alphajet, A-4, Jaguar, Tornado, F-16, A-6, A-7, F-111, F-15E, B-52, B-1B