DCS World 2 SSD - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #11
Wader8

Reputation power: 4
Wader8 will become famous soon enoughWader8 will become famous soon enoughWader8 will become famous soon enough

I think it's not worth investing in a high quality SATA SSD anymore, let NVMe mature a bit and them move to that, for those that can afford. That's what I would do.

I can't afford either at the time, but my past experience with DCS on my Win7 install was pretty bad for the past 2 years, testing it on a clean Win10 intall on surprisingly a single HDD got rid of 85% of stuttering, no more buggy mouse movement camera lag and other constant stuttering, it does stutter a big genuinely loading the assets when I speed up the gameplay that's totally acceptable as the stutter is only momentary and doesn't happen during normal gameplay.

Also I'm not sure it's Win7-to-Win10 difference at all, it could just be the clean install without the mouse drivers.

Last edited by Wader8; 08-13-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Wader8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #12
Piston85

Reputation power: 5
Piston85 has a spectacular aura aboutPiston85 has a spectacular aura aboutPiston85 has a spectacular aura aboutPiston85 has a spectacular aura aboutPiston85 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wader8 View Post
I think it's not worth investing in a high quality SATA SSD anymore, let NVMe mature a bit and them move to that, for those that can afford. That's what I would do.

I can't afford either at the time, but my past experience with DCS on my Win7 install was pretty bad for the past 2 years, testing it on a clean Win10 intall on surprisingly a single HDD got rid of 85% of stuttering, no more buggy mouse movement camera lag and other constant stuttering, it does stutter a big genuinely loading the assets when I speed up the gameplay that's totally acceptable as the stutter is only momentary and doesn't happen during normal gameplay.

Also I'm not sure it's Win7-to-Win10 difference at all, it could just be the clean install without the mouse drivers.
You are not alone. I also experienced that Dcs on an HDD works better and has less graphics stutter (loading stutter is obiously more).
Piston85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #13
Spetz

Reputation power: 16
Spetz is just really niceSpetz is just really niceSpetz is just really niceSpetz is just really niceSpetz is just really niceSpetz is just really niceSpetz is just really niceSpetz is just really niceSpetz is just really niceSpetz is just really niceSpetz is just really nice

I've got my OS on an NVMe drive, off to full boot in 4 seconds, but only a 120gb drive. I have 1.5 and 2.1 installed on a 1Tb SATA 6Gb SSD and they load within seconds. From mission select to in cockpit, maybe 10-15 seconds? Zero stutter in game either. From my experience I would save the $$$ over a NVMe and just use a SATA SSD for DCS. I used to use a simple WD 7200rmp HDD which would take MUCH longer to load and have occasional stutters...

See, decide, attack, reverse -- Colonel Erich "Bubi" Hartmann

i7 7700k, MSI z270 M3 mobo, 16 Gb Ripjaw DD4 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti, Corsair H100i V2 liquid cooler, Corsair NVMe SSD for OS, 1tb Mushkin SSD for games, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, 5.1 surround, Oculus Rift
Spetz is offline   Reply With Quote