Help a fixed wing pilot choose his first helicopter - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-08-2019, 07:47 PM   #21
Quadg

the autopilot is not really a cheat when you have a co pilot who sits there and refuses to help

the other radios don't cause me issues in flight.
but scrolling through the ADF up its range can take forever with a mouse.

so I avoid NDB navigation. or set it on the ground.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #22
Birko

Autopilot isn't a cheat when you're a gunner and your pilot sits there and refuses to help
Old 02-09-2019, 01:11 AM   #23
Eldur

You should get a used MS FFB2 if you don't have one already.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:49 AM   #24
Cap'n Penguin

Birka, I too took the Helicopter plunge with this sale. I didn't get the Mi-8 but grabbed the others. My experience level is nowhere near these other gentlemen but I'll throw it out just in case. If I could only keep one, it absolutely would be the Gazelle. The others are neat but, for me, the Gaze is a blast! I logged 8.75 hours in it today alone and have enjoyed every minute.

Granted the first two hours I was digging ditches with my rotor blades and spent more time clicking the "fly again" button than actually flying. However once we came to an agreement that I would stop smacking into everything within sight and she would stop coming apart when I did so, it became a true love story.

Just 2 cents worth of input from an irrelevant old man

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift - Old Lawn chair

Cap'n Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #25
Birko

Thanks for the insight!

I have been torn over the Gazelle actually. It's a helicopter I'd really like, but I've read and watched conflicting stuff about it.

I suppose it is on sale though, what does anyone think of the Gazelle?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:37 AM   #26
Frag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko View Post
Thanks for the insight!

I have been torn over the Gazelle actually. It's a helicopter I'd really like, but I've read and watched conflicting stuff about it.

I read in your signature that you played the huey a lot. The huey flight model is top notch. To me that Gazellep flight model felt arcadish. I was not impressed at all.

But their creator said it would ge improved in 2019.
Frag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:09 AM   #27
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko View Post
Thanks for the insight!

I'll say this I like all the Helis but the Gazelle is the most fun she is also a hard taskmaster who will kill you if you so much as blink at the wrong time but rewarding when you do fly it.

Even this morning there were 3 of us on an acrobatics server this morning and had a blast.

It will tax your setup a lot, I have cyclic collective and pedals (soon my own Mk 1 pedals will be ready) and seat (sim pit WIP) also flying one helps with the others so for me they all build on each other.

Once you get how the Gaz works (right wrong or indifferent as to FM and don't be put off by the FM arguments) it really is good I'd recommend getting it whilst it's on sale systems probably easier or at least on par with the Huey although if pressed I'd suggest starting with the Huey to get a feel or if you have proper controls (you will soon after coming over to the light side ) then maybe the Gazelle first.

But good controls are a must for helicopters.

I've done a lot of testing for controls and such for the Gaz so if you need help only to happy to help.

PS you can do rolls and loops in the Gaz too,..
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:13 AM   #28
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Penguin View Post
Birka, I too took the Helicopter plunge with this sale. I didn't get the Mi-8 but grabbed the others. My experience level is nowhere near these other gentlemen but I'll throw it out just in case. If I could only keep one, it absolutely would be the Gazelle. The others are neat but, for me, the Gaze is a blast! I logged 8.75 hours in it today alone and have enjoyed every minute.

Granted the first two hours I was digging ditches with my rotor blades and spent more time clicking the "fly again" button than actually flying. However once we came to an agreement that I would stop smacking into everything within sight and she would stop coming apart when I did so, it became a true love story.

Just 2 cents worth of input from an irrelevant old man

Sage advice sir.

Although I still break one or two now and again.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #29
Birko

Frag and FragBum are you different people?

I've made do so far with my HOTAS but pedals are something I'm looking in to for when I've moved house and I've got space for a bigger setup.

If the FM is at least a close approximation of the real thing, then it only really matters to me that it's fun to fly and has plenty of toys to play with.

I've got a few question about the Gazelle I'll post in the Gazelle forum, but thanks everyone!
Old 02-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #30
FragBum

You fly the Huey without pedals, I could only maybe fly the KA-50 without pedals. You'll need pedals for the Gaz. Nah I say pedals for all of em.

Oh and yes different people but I think we have the same passion.