Cockpit Instruments Blurry with NVG's On. - Page 2 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2019, 03:56 PM   #11
Eagle_Rising
Member
 
Eagle_Rising's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook47 View Post
If the devs have any interest in my 2 cents- as former CH 47 Flight Crew I can tell you the NVGs we had could be refocused for inside the aircraft or outside the aircraft through adjustment to the apature. This was done by pilots and flight engineers/gunners regularly, because sometimes you needed to see inside or outside the bird.

The ability to adjust focus would be awesome.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk


Coming from the 60 community I haven’t heard of anyone doing this. However, I guess maybe it makes sense, since you guy actually can move around in the back but I still can’t see the point of adjusting focus inside for front seaters.

I do agree it would be a cool feature to adjust the focus but I also would like them to fix the auto brightness control first.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Are you ready to take your chopper flying skills to the next level?
Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.
Eagle_Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:40 PM   #12
SnowTiger
Senior Member
 
SnowTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madoc, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,192
Default

I've seen a couple videos of DCS F18's flying with NVG's and their cockpit controls are pretty legible.
It's completely illegible in the Gazelle.
So while being able to see outside the cockpit to know if you are going to crash into something is great, but for the sake of navigating or operating videos etc, it is extremely difficult.
__________________
SnowTiger
SnowTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:18 PM   #13
Eagle_Rising
Member
 
Eagle_Rising's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowTiger View Post
I've seen a couple videos of DCS F18's flying with NVG's and their cockpit controls are pretty legible.
It's completely illegible in the Gazelle.
So while being able to see outside the cockpit to know if you are going to crash into something is great, but for the sake of navigating or operating videos etc, it is extremely difficult.


I know the videos you’re talking about and I’m pretty sure they just focused it for inside because they never had a scene where they show both the inside and outside without a scene cut.

I’m telling you from personal experience that the inside will be blurry with goggles on.

One option could be to add the AN/AVS-7 which gives you a HUD overlay on your goggles. We probably won’t get that lucky though.

Just get used to looking underneath the goggles it will eventually get easier.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Are you ready to take your chopper flying skills to the next level?
Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.
Eagle_Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:54 AM   #14
SnowTiger
Senior Member
 
SnowTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madoc, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,192
Default

I guess I'm going to have to track down the videos then (one of which was posted in FB over the last few days).
The view showed both inside and outside the cockpit at the same time. It was a diagonal view towards 2 o'clock so you could see the top right and center MFD's as well as the terrain outside.
Both were very legible.

That's why I bring this up.
That said, the NVG's in the F18 and/or the cockpit clarity are definitely much better.
Furthermore, we used to be able to see the cockpit clearly, albeit dimly (because the contrast had to be turned down to view inside) a year or two ago.

Finally, this shouldn't be an issue of FOCUS. NVG's we use in DCS do NOT have a Zoom function. They are a 1:1 ratio. So it's not a matter of focusing inside versus outside. It's more like looking through glasses that provide the ability to see using star or moon light.

With the lights off or dimmed in the cockpit, one should easily be able to read the instruments.
How in hell would anyone navigate if they cannot see the inside of the cockpit with NVG's on in RL ?
You can't tell me (or rather I'd never believe it) that a chopper pilot (or any pilot) would need to remove the NVG's just to view their instruments.

The arguments in this thread are make no sense to me at all.
We were able to see before and now we can't. And I don't believe this is accurate.
I believe what is represented in the F18 now and what was represented in the Gazelle previously is more realistic and certain WAY MORE USEFUL.
Otherwise, the Current NVG's for the F18 are inaccurate !
Which is it ?
__________________
SnowTiger
SnowTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #15
Gizzy
Member
 
Gizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Tír na nÓg
Posts: 406
Default

I believe it is common with some helo pilots and NVGs to look under them to see the guages - believe what you wish.....

Tacos NVG MOD make this concept more useable by reducing the size of the standard DCS modelled NVG area...

In the 229th we use 2 variants of the MOD one for VR and the other more for 2D and TrackIR. They both work perfectly and I highly recommend them especially for all aspects of helo work...

Sometime ago someone made a MOD that NVGs no matter wherever you looked was clear - unrealistic but clear.

Over the years there have been many types of NVGs all with different capabilities... I used quite a few of the older ones and I'm sure the result was nothing like the modern version.

What Aircraft models what NVG capability I've no idea but I suspect its around 1980 vintage for many...
__________________
B Co, D Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

Far too many DCS modules, a black box full of expensive
gizmos, more controllers and buttons than the space shuttle,
a face mask and a big TV!
Gizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:58 PM   #16
SnowTiger
Senior Member
 
SnowTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madoc, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,192
Default

I don't have a problem believing RL pilots will look under NVG's. That's a little more difficult in Sim.

While the earlier version of NVG's for the Gazelle may well have not been realistic, one could argue that it was a reasonable replacement ... like Auto Pilot in the UH-1h.

I have downloaded the Mod but haven't installed it yet because I was trying to eliminate an unrelated issue ... which I seem to finally have resolved.
So I'll be trying it out very soon. Thanks for that.
__________________
SnowTiger
SnowTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:39 PM   #17
Gizzy
Member
 
Gizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Tír na nÓg
Posts: 406
Default

First pic is what you will see with Taccos MOD in 2D

Second Pic is the MOD adjusted for VR using 2 projections but in 2D it comes out like this... flyable but not so realsitic... the original works fine just move you head up slightly and look down and all is good...

I presume you are aware of this https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...7&postcount=13




..



__________________
B Co, D Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

Far too many DCS modules, a black box full of expensive
gizmos, more controllers and buttons than the space shuttle,
a face mask and a big TV!
Gizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:50 PM   #18
Gunnars Driver
Member
 
Gunnars Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Sweden
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook47 View Post
If the devs have any interest in my 2 cents- as former CH 47 Flight Crew I can tell you the NVGs we had could be refocused for inside the aircraft or outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
I believe it is common with some helo pilots and NVGs to look under them to see the guages
The only practical solution in cockpit is to look under the goggles when looking inside.
The refocus thing is technical possible but it isnt really possible to do this during flight - you set the focus before flight at around ’infinite’. This is the only way to do it and to do it safe.
I got around 20yrs of NVG Flight and one if my main tasks is instructing other pilots/crews on NVG Flight. Never adjusted focus for inside, and never heard of before. The time to re-set focus outside would be to long and you cant really guarante that the setting is perfect after each time. Besides this, the human eye is a lot better than NVG when getting sufficient light levels, wich you have no problem achieving in a NVG Compatible cockpit. All lighting is selected not to be in the wavelength that NVG are sensitive for(actually the goggles have filters, ”minus blue filters” to allow for either green only lights, warning panels with green/yellow/red warnings or for full 4 colour displays.

For the cabin crew I /We teach the possibility to adjust the focus closer, to have the close vicinity sharp when doing landings in small clearings. On trick I teach is for the cabin crew to test one eye focus closer to see threes and underneath the helo and the other eye/tube a bit further or infinity. Not every one can cope with this so in the end its a personal choise how to set them or readjust during flight.
__________________
[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Oculus Rift]
[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-18, FC3 ]

Last edited by Gunnars Driver; 02-03-2019 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Gunnars Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #19
Hook47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnars Driver View Post
The only practical solution in cockpit is to look under the goggles when looking inside.
The refocus thing is technical possible but it isnt really possible to do this during flight - you set the focus before flight at around ’infinite’. This is the only way to do it and to do it safe.
I got around 20yrs of NVG Flight and one if my main tasks is instructing other pilots/crews on NVG Flight. Never adjusted focus for inside, and never heard of before. The time to re-set focus outside would be to long and you cant really guarante that the setting is perfect after each time. Besides this, the human eye is a lot better than NVG when getting sufficient light levels, wich you have no problem achieving in a NVG Compatible cockpit. All lighting is selected not to be in the wavelength that NVG are sensitive for(actually the goggles have filters, ”minus blue filters” to allow for either green only lights, warning panels with green/yellow/red warnings or for full 4 colour displays.

For the cabin crew I /We teach the possibility to adjust the focus closer, to have the close vicinity sharp when doing landings in small clearings. On trick I teach is for the cabin crew to test one eye focus closer to see threes and underneath the helo and the other eye/tube a bit further or infinity. Not every one can cope with this so in the end its a personal choise how to set them or readjust during flight.
Yes, our pilots abode by the same rules if I remember correctly. They wouldn't adjust in flight, although I did hear of tubes being set for different distances as your discussed. The crew on our birds would refocus pretty often do complete tasks inside the chopper, but we didn't have flight controlls to hang in to all the time.

All this being said- I still think the best and most realistic option would be to allows players to adjust their focus point as per the capabilities of the real NVGs.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Hook47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #20
Schmidtfire
Senior Member
 
Schmidtfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,069
Default

This is my idea/solution for a "Look under" implementation.

Head tilts down, NVG's goes up in your field of view. Make NVG's "mask" dynamic. When you look down Y axis, NVG "mask area" moves in opposite direction, up in Y axis on screen and clear any instruments.
Sort of simulating a peek under the goggles i cockpit.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but this is the best way to simulate something that is kind of complicated to get right in a sim. How much the NVG's will move probably needs some testing and maybe a slider for personal preference.

Last edited by Schmidtfire; 02-11-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Schmidtfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:13 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.