moored enemy ships single mission: hints and tactics

I've tried this f-5e single mission in 2.5.1, but I Always get shot down by the moored ships AAA.

I've managed to fight migs CAP: when I see them coming I order my wingmen to attack according to mission orders and the other f-5s keep the mig-21s engaged, covering my backs and allowing me to attack the ships.

But then the problems come: my first attack is ok, I have two options: 1) set pip to manual, depression 80, and attack with free fall bombs; 2) pip to manual, depression 14, use rockets: in any case the ships are at sea level, so I start from 5000 ft, dive 20° and release weapon at 1500. Not Always I hit the target, but even if I hit it, a single fly-by is not enough to sink them. If I try a second fly-by, the ships start to shoot with AAA and it is almost impossible to perform a precise (and by itself difficult) maneuver while trying to avoid AAA fire. Am I just a poor pilot, or can someone suggest me some tactics?

Attacking from the bow / stern is a good advice. But my last few tries I've been shot down again, mainly by AAA ships. Just a few times by a mig-15. Maybe - I play in VR - enemy planes are difficult to spot and I assume my wingmen take care of enemy CAP, so I focus only on ships and this is probably my fault. BUT all my other tries I got shot down by AAA, and… well, with free fall ordnance I have to start my dive at 5000 ft and release bombs at 1500ft, I cannot stay out of AAA range. After the attack, I try to dismiss from response fire as quick as possible and with full AB, but those ships shoot brushings of fire that are quite difficult to avoid. Maybe I need some combat tactics readings / study to improve myself… This is not an a-10c, in which I can climb to 10000ft, away from AAA range, and drop a LGB or JDAM just circling above the harbor… (well, maybe if I had attacked with an a-10c, the enemy would have put some sort of SAM nearby…)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've tried the higher release altitude and can confirm that it works well, assuming that your bomb aiming is correct. I chose a dive angle/altitude/speed from one of the tables posted online and managed to get the bombs on-target on my first attempt... which turned out to be a bit of a fluke (second try I missed by about 150m :doh:).

For the rockets I set the sight depression to 8 mils and fired at about 3000ft altitude in a steep dive. For obvious reasons this kind of attack should immediately be followed by a fairly high-G pullup and an evasive maneuver (otherwise the ZU-23 on the shore will get you). The Molniyas can take a lot of 70mm rocket hits without sinking, so it's pretty important that you get your wingmen to bomb the ships- you won't be able to sink them by yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
I think there is a bug in this mission.

I remember that another Intercept group would engage the mig21s before your arrive...

this is their hard life at the airport during ramp start

69237FE7CF9596F983665DAD4E18011018A22EF3

Something similar happened to me when I tampered with my weapons Loadout using the mission planner. My plane spawned inside one of the static C-130s!