Introduction to Livery creation

joey45

Part one is a brief introduction

Please bare with me as I have a speech impediment which has been getting worse over the past few years and my dyslexia isn't getting any better either

BEWARE SPELLING MISTAKES WILL BE MADE

Part 2 will be an overview of Gimp and photoshop

Any question ask here and I'll answer them in the next vid.

Part 2a

Part 2b

lChT8ONl3Bk

part 2c1

Part2c2

Part 2d

[Youtube]ZI6FRfxurC8

Part 2e final part

Edited by joey45
editing due to forum update
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Thanks. There can never be too many tutorials.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• ED Team
Great job, very informative! :)

And you shouldn't worry about your speech. I for one, find your accent soothing. (I hope this translates to English well enough, so that it doesn't have any wrong meaning)

No worries, I think you just basically asked him on a date :D

Thanks for doing this Joey, love seeing stuff like this, helps many people! Looking forward to more.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 1 month later...

This week. I has the week off plus I now have a SSD just for recording.

Going through the viewer and tips and tricks in livery creation while using the F/A 18 as an example in photoshop.

Part 3 will be how the texture is done in 3ds max as a FYI type thing.

Edited by joey45
spelling

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

• 1 year later...

Moving to DCS 2.5 will there be some different steps needed, in terms of DDS config ?

Did something already change with 2.0 alpha around this ?

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 5 weeks later...

Now my PC is working like it should.. Watercooling and cleaning fixed it.

I made a qui.......... a little bit to long vid last night while having a few drinks..

Still having probs with video editing software licencing issues..

Will try and do a vid every couple of days.

Might do a start to finish live stream on a SU or a Mig when I get a chance. Or the Viggen IF the template is released by then.

• 7 months later...

Hi all.!

I have started creating my first livery and I'm try to follow the steps described in various how to videos but my livery layer seems to be kind of transparent over the metallic surface of the airplane (F-86F). How can my liver be more opaque?

Also while the whole aircraft appears with a black "primer" there are some area tha are green and have some visible numbers. Will this create a problem when I finish my livery and if so how can I correct this?

I'm attaching some pics to help you understand my issue. 

You're kindly asked for support 

THX in advance

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

image.pngimage.png

image.png

On 12/24/2021 at 4:34 AM, phgeorg said:

Hi all.!

I have started creating my first livery and I'm try to follow the steps described in various how to videos but my livery layer seems to be kind of transparent over the metallic surface of the airplane (F-86F). How can my liver be more opaque?

Also while the whole aircraft appears with a black "primer" there are some area tha are green and have some visible numbers. Will this create a problem when I finish my livery and if so how can I correct this?

phgeorg,

it would be easier to help if you posted a link to your livery, but just looking at the photos, I would say that you might have a few problems:

1) missing textures. The green camo pattern usually occurs when your description lua points to a file that is not there. I suspect that the f-86f_main_dif that sits under the BORT Decal is named differently than what is in your lua

2) file format and mipmapping. DDS has different compression formats (DXT1, DXT3, etc.) Each has pros/cons for quality/size or how transparency (alpha channel) is handled. The black on your livery makes me think that you either have a problem with alpha layer or mipmapping.

(or) 3) channel info. For DCS, DIFFUSE and Specular/ROUGHMET info is stored in different channels. From your photo, it appears you have Diffuse and Roughmet in one template. Make sure you are only exporting the correct channels for either DIFFUSE or ROUGHMET into their respective files.

PM me if you need more help (take the conversation out of this thread)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking into livery creation but I'm stuck at the beginning:

How can you tell where one part begins and ends? The background color of the .dds files (or .psd files) is the same color as the aircraft paint itself, making it impossible to differentiate between the actual aircraft parts and the background. How do you guys figure out which part is the background and which part is the actual aircraft?

• 1 month later...

Okay, I know how to creat MIPMAPS (easy enough with Photoshop and Nvidia exporter plugin), but can somehow explain me what rule or algorithm controls the reload of mipmaps while the game is running? Is it DCS, DX11 or even the graphic driver?
Can I control it somewhere?
Is there any relation to shape LODs?