Liveries/Skinning Section Guide

NineLine

Lrbz1yf.jpg

Anyone wanna explain why this is happening?

Soooo frustrating

Man I could really use a navigator right about now.

i7-3770K @ Stock

MSI GD-65 Z77 Mobo

G.Skill Ripjaws Z [16GB] @ 2133 Mhz

AMD Radeon HD 7950 [sapphire Tech] @ 1150/1600 Mhz

OCZ Vector 256GB [C:/]

Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB @ 5900RPM [D:/]

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB @ 7200 [E:/]

Western Digital Blue 1TB @ 7200 [H:/]

Corsair AX850 PSU

Corsair 650D Case [so Sexy <3]

aeipISx.png

I did it this way, if thats what you meant

i7-3770K @ Stock

MSI GD-65 Z77 Mobo

Corsair AX850 PSU

Anyone?

i7-3770K @ Stock

MSI GD-65 Z77 Mobo

Corsair AX850 PSU

Anyone wanna explain why this is happening?

Soooo frustrating

Without knowing all of the details of your file, it appears that even though you have a transparent background DCS still needs an alpha channel to limit the scope of the decal to your patch boundaries.

You should be able to create an alpha channel by selecting your patch objects, then saving that area as your channel.

Hello,

I have some question regarding the creating and "upgrading" new skin. I would like to know if there is some exact resolution of the templates that DCS can use. Or there is some exact pixels dimensions. I am not sure if the template will still work correctly when I make it bigger.

I.E. Su-25T template for wing is 2048 p wide and 1024 p high. Will it still be functional when I make it, let's say, double that big? Or there is limitation just for 2048x1024 that the program can use? As I looked at the other parts of this template it is obvious that the dimensions somehow corresponds with Bytes system.

There are some aircrafts in DCS where I can literally read tech info on the door and I would like to create some nice detailed skin too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I highly doubt resolution itself matters, except for skin quality and performance/File size.

As long as the proportions of the template stay the same (Like the example above 2048x1024 is 2:1) I see now reason why it wouldn't work at 4096x2048 or 1024x512.

My skins/liveries for Fw 190 D-9 and Bf 109 K-4:

My blog or Forums.

Open for requests as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I highly doubt resolution itself matters, except for skin quality and performance/File size.

As long as the proportions of the template stay the same (Like the example above 2048x1024 is 2:1) I see now reason why it wouldn't work at 4096x2048 or 1024x512.

Resolution is maybe a wrong term here. It is just pixel size divided by desired dimension in metric or inches. Changes of dimension itself is what matters there. When I edited my own Su-25T I realised in how poor quality these templates are. I would like to double size them to get some more details.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Going from 2048x1024 to 4096x2048 does not increase detail?

This is exactly how textures work, higher resolution has more pixel available to enhance detail. You can't change dimensions without the game failing to read what is assigned to the 3D model.

Is your texture quality set to high ingame? This is so the game itself won't compress and lower the resolution of textures.

Edited by JST
Typo

My blog or Forums.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Going from 2048x1024 to 4096x2048 does not increase detail?

This is exactly how textures work, higher resolution has more pixel available to enhance detail. You can change dimensions without the game failing to read what is assigned to the 3D model.

Is your texture quality set to high ingame? This is so the game itself won't compress and lower the resolution of textures.

Yes, it does increase. I know. I just wanted to know if I can do such a thing and still have texture wrapping correct. Thanks for answers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, you might be able to bake a new template for any plane if you have access to the 3D model and meshes.

But with a preexisting texture file, you have to remain within the dimension (Or aspect ratio) set.

My blog or Forums.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, you might be able to bake a new template for any plane if you have access to the 3D model and meshes.

But with a preexisting texture file, you have to remain within the dimension (Or aspect ratio) set.

Not my case. I am graphic designer with just minimal 3D modelling knowledge. I also don't have software where I can unwrap it. So I will keep with editing premade templates by now. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi guys. I have a question about the similar problem, Chlebakus mentioned here a few posts back. I'm preparing some fictional Czech Air Force skin for UH-1 and I don't know, how to get better looking markings on the chopper. I tried to change the size of the texture, but it doesn't have any effect. I'm doing it in Photoshop, then saving it in BMP 24bit and converting into DDS using DXTBmp converter. But the converter always degrade the texture quality into a mess. I tried 32bit and it was ok even after converting it to DDS, but DCS refused to use it and the texture was just black.

The texture size now is 4096x4096px. My textures quality setting in DCS is HIGH.

When I view some other in-game models, they have even smaller markings and are clearly visible and readable.

I just don't know, what I'm doing wrong.

Thank You very much for any tips.

M7MIXe.jpg

mxhIDm.jpg

nIcy8N.jpg

First thing to do is get proper tools:

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

You can use this to save your .PSD file directly as .DDS

On compression, DXT5 ARGB with interpolated alpha is a good balance between compression and filesize (I use this for normal and specular maps) but for the best quality 8.8.8.8 32-bit ARGB is the way to go (I recently started using this for the texture files).

Definitely try and see what works best for you, although most of the compression methods simply aren't supported in DCS.

My blog or Forums.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On compression, DXT5 ARGB with interpolated alpha is a good balance between compression and filesize (I use this for normal and specular maps) but for the best quality 8.8.8.8 32-bit ARGB is the way to go (I recently started using this for the texture files).

Definitely try and see what works best for you, although most of the compression methods simply aren't supported in DCS.

OMG...thank You very much!!! Great news for me!

Bad habits are bad.

1. Texture compression exists for a reason. Smaller texture = better performance. IMHO textures in DCS are in high enough resolution to overcome the problem with compression artefacts for the most part. Unless you plan to zoom in on every rivet and inspect the individual pixels, I just can't justify stuffing DCS with textures that are like ten times bigger.

2. What is the point in saving textures without alpha in ARGB formats such as DXT5? Texture will look the same in DXT1 RGB and it'll be smaller. ;)

/rant :music_whistling:

Thanks again. I tried yesterday and it works like a charm. Exactly what I wanted. :thumbup:

Bad habits are bad.

1. Texture compression exists for a reason. Smaller texture = better performance. IMHO textures in DCS are in high enough resolution to overcome the problem with compression artefacts for the most part. Unless you plan to zoom in on every rivet and inspect the individual pixels, I just can't justify stuffing DCS with textures that are like ten times bigger.

2. What is the point in saving textures without alpha in ARGB formats such as DXT5? Texture will look the same in DXT1 RGB and it'll be smaller. ;)

/rant :music_whistling:

I don't understand all of this textures mumbo jumbo. I just want to have my skins looking nice and sharp.

Když se to neprojeví na výkonu, sere na to pes. :)

JST can I use that plugin into Adobe Photoshop Elements 12? I don't understand if it works fin with Elements :huh:.

Thanks

Bad habits are bad.

Yes it does, but are we talking about a texture mod for Skyrim or a single object here? If someone can show me that my skins completely destroy their game performance, I'll gladly offer a more compact option. Until then, I'll only offer the best quality and if you can't "justify" it, there are other peoples work or default skins to use.

I didn't even think about this, thank you.

My blog or Forums.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't understand all of this textures mumbo jumbo. I just want to have my skins looking nice and sharp.

Když se to neprojeví na výkonu, sere na to pes. :)

He is definitely right about saving as ARGB being pointless, though his opinion on compression is debatable.

JST can I use that plugin into Adobe Photoshop Elements 12? I don't understand if it works fin with Elements huh.gif.

Thanks

You'll have to ask Nvidia about that.

My blog or Forums.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...

QUESTION :).

Is it possible to create a skin but without "default" fuselage number from DCS but only own, the one, from the skin?

Example from: description.lua - {"MiG-15_MAIN_N", DECAL ,"Mig-15_nomer_poland",false};

false - shows numbers

true - not but I see orange texture box.

Any ideas?

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro