Winch outside the left door?

The thing sticking out above the left door, is that a winch? Is it operational in the sim?

In real life is it used for SAR?

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

Not operational, and yes I believe it's (mostly) used for SAR. Its positioning and strength prevents it from lifting really heavy loads.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can simulate its use via scripting (fast-rope) but the winch itself is not animated nor functional.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

You can simulate its use via scripting (fast-rope) but the winch itself is not animated nor functional.

That's a shame. Was hoping there would be an animated guy who could descend and ascend in it.

Has there been any talk about giving it a function in the future?

No

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That to be used for SAR missions, as well fast roping to drop special forces on roof tops, trains etc would be AMAZING!

It would require so much animations work to see a infantry platoon sitting in the rear, see the doors opening and them running out from hatch or jump out from the door when flying at low level, or parachuting from altitude.

And then fast roping (90's stuff) etc.

That would be the ultimate animation for Mi-8MTv2.

Reason why I would love to see a KA-29 in the DCS is to do sea SAR and other special operations like transfer people to submarines (a la "Hunting Red October") or other ships. And in Mi-8MTv2 I would so love to perform automated SAR missions where every pilot that gets ejected, needs to be picked up by SAR and in forest/city areas it would be that winch to pick people up.

That would make one old flight simulator proud.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...
That to be used for SAR missions, as well fast roping to drop special forces on roof tops, trains etc would be AMAZING!

It would require so much animations work to see a infantry platoon sitting in the rear, see the doors opening and them running out from hatch or jump out from the door when flying at low level, or parachuting from altitude.

To be honest if it would just act like slingloading does already just with an adjustable length on the fly I'd be satisfied, at the moment it's just wasted potential IMO

Mind you I personally think the Mil Mi-8 module is showing it's age, it's cockpit is nothing like anything else post 1.5 release, the tail rotor isn't animated (unlike the Huey) and you can't really go in the back of the helicopter aside from the door gunner. It's a shame, and I'm willing to pay for these improvements as it's the only medium-lift helicopter we have in DCS

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.