Update or new install when 2.0 will be final?

harf4ng

Hi,

I just wonder, when DCS 2.0 will be final, if we'll have to reinstall the sim, or if the updater will take care of that itself.

I wonder, because the 2.0 installer installs it in an alpha folder.

Thanks

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

What happens if you have more than the standard, release version, of DCS is as follows, from what I can watch and tell from my own 3 installations: release, beta, alpha.

When you ONLY have the Alpha installed and DCS moves to 2.0 as release version, you will most likely have to patch your alpha to the release version but it will stay as an alpha.

On the same day, you should install a "fresh" release version from ED website but it will not download each and every file again but "steal" them from Alpha folder as a copy ;) Clever !?!?!?!

You will, if lucky, not have to download a single unique file twice but only once for either Alpha or release and ED installer will check if a file is already available in another branch and copy it from there. Only if no install has it it's gonna download it from the web.

Correct me if I am wrong. That's what I have observed last few month with all 3 branches available.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for the info.

Though I'll not get the alpha it seems, so I'll stay with the steam version for now, as I have read the alpha is only compatible with nevada, that I don't have.

So will wait a bit, and stay with my steam version for now... and later on I'll try to decide if I keep with steam or move to standalone...

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

In addition to hat BitMaster stated, you can also run the updater manually to change your alpha/beta version to the release version if you wish, and vice/versa. It's quite flexible. Right now the test versions would still be in a directory structure labeled beta if you installed them that way, however.

I converted my 1.2 release installation to the Beta branch when 1.5 came out, and installed 2.0 as a separate installation (since that's the only way you can get it right now.) I knew I wouldn't be going back to 1.2. Since my original 1.2 was in the 'normal' path for DCS I converted it back to the release branch with the updater once 1.5 was 'official' a few weeks ago. It should update normally to 2.0 when it's out, and I'll delete the 2.0 Alpha.

It only gets confusing because ED was almost too generous with the flexibility, but I love that they've given us those tools. :-)

EDIT: Ha... right after posting this I notice that SkateZilla has updated the sticky on how to do this at the top of this form, and it also looks like he's putting together a rather slick GUI for it. Awesome!

Edited by nervousenergy

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers