Impact of Trees and Ground Clutter on Frame Rates

DerekSpeare

I have my trees and ground clutter turned all the way down in the hope that it can save me a few frames from getting lost. I'm curious to know what real impact trees and ground clutter have on performance in VR. How much do those features mean in terms of VR frame rates?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I have trees set to just avoid "popping up" unrealistically (about 65%) . I also have flat terrain shadows enabled . I have grass/ground clutter maxed , primarily for the Huey , which i fly in addition to the Hornet and Albatross . While i have two other maps , i only fly in the Caucasus .

My impression is that clutter/grass has very little practical effect on frames , prolly due to only being visible at less than 100 feet , which limits view distance , the slow speed of the Huey , and airports killing frames in the Hornet anyway .

Surely the trees and their associated shadows do have a significant impact , but i can't live without them , or civil traffic , or water high , or MSSA . I have no problems maintaining 45 fps with all of these enabled flying solo ground-attack missions .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Unlike most graphical settings, these can be adjusted live in game, so you can try for yourself and see how the framerate changes. iirc, ground clutter has negligible effect, while trees difference can be significant especially past 80%. I really hate tree popping, so I use medium visibility with 100% trees.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

I will do some live testing - thanks for the guidance, folks!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I will do some live testing - thanks for the guidance, folks!

Even with settings from identical systems testing is also going to be required but that said, trees... I mean, some difference at the margin, so turn down to acceptable level. But with VR, its always pd and msaa that are the huge factors in render times, with shadows often playing sacrificial role in favor of aliasing.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about