Rudder a bit too effective?

Flanker35M

Salute!

Started flying the Kurfürst campaign, seems nice even AI is clunky and had to turn wake turbulence off as bomber formations turned game into a slideshow :( But to the point and asking here. I tested to fly around first, to get a feel on the Kurfie. Is a handful. While testing I noticed I can roll the plane with rudder only, no other input needed. And I mean it rolls well too around it´s axis. Equivalent to using ailerons, same precision albeit a bit slower. This same thing was the cause of 109 wobbliness in an another flight sim, which was rectified. Any comments on this? I am on latest open beta 2.5.5.36986.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D  Motherboard: ASUS TUF B550-Plus Memory: Kingston FuryX 64Gb GPU: AMD Radeon 6950XT 16Gb HDD: Samsung EVO SSD x 2 Monitor: Samsung 27" Flight gear: Virpil stick, MFG pedals OS: Windows 11 Pro

Salute!

Started flying the Kurfürst campaign, seems nice even AI is clunky and had to turn wake turbulence off as bomber formations turned game into a slideshow :( But to the point and asking here. I tested to fly around first, to get a feel on the Kurfie. Is a handful. While testing I noticed I can roll the plane with rudder only, no other input needed. And I mean it rolls well too around it´s axis. Equivalent to using ailerons, same precision albeit a bit slower. This same thing was the cause of 109 wobbliness in an another flight sim, which was rectified. Any comments on this? I am on latest open beta 2.5.5.36986.

In those planes rudder has strong roll authority, you can even land this plane using rudder and elevator only.

Btw 109 has the weakest rudder of all warbirds in dcs

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Some people complain it's not effective enough :lol:.

S!

The same thing is with trim sensitivity, some ppl complain that is too big other ppl complain that is too small :)

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

S!

The rudder causes the 109 to be excessively wobbly. Even from slightest input to right causes the plane to wobble and lift nose + initiates a roll. By slight I mean that you see the input. To left same thing but a bit less. This pitch up/wobble and roll feature of rudder makes taking off like you jump off the runway and wobble like sitting on a ball. Was just asking if someone has noticed this as well?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D  Motherboard: ASUS TUF B550-Plus Memory: Kingston FuryX 64Gb GPU: AMD Radeon 6950XT 16Gb HDD: Samsung EVO SSD x 2 Monitor: Samsung 27" Flight gear: Virpil stick, MFG pedals OS: Windows 11 Pro

S!

The rudder causes the 109 to be excessively wobbly. Even from slightest input to right causes the plane to wobble and lift nose + initiates a roll. By slight I mean that you see the input. To left same thing but a bit less. This pitch up/wobble and roll feature of rudder makes taking off like you jump off the runway and wobble like sitting on a ball. Was just asking if someone has noticed this as well?

This sounds like an accurate re-creation of flight dynamics and p-factor to me . Roll is induced on rudder application because opposite wing develops mor lift as it swings around the longitudinal axis , while the other wing develops less lift for the same reason .

Likewise , the propeller yawing relative to the airflow will induce a pitch axis change , and conversely , a pitch axis change will induce yaw .

There is a very old book titled "Stick and Rudder" by Langweische that i highly recommend . It remains probably the single most important work on how to fly an aircraft ever written , and details these and other aerodynamic effects . I even learned from it how to spot where your touchdown point will be-on the downwind leg !

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

S!

yes i noticed it, but this is how it works, during take off pilot have to know exactly what do in certain part of take off only then take off will be smooth

if pilot is reacting to what is happening it will be to late and will end up with excessive corrections leading to aplified oscilactions leading to crash some time.

Take some practise and your take offs and landings will be smooth. High power tail draggers are extremly hard to handle on the ground.

Edited by grafspee

S!

The problem with that kind of "feel" is everyone has a different one depending on hardware used, to start with, controls settings, and everything.

IRL many aircraft are like that indeed, just the controls are stiff enough so you don't overcommand hence a perfect simulation of the real response in a module would be too sensitive with regular PC hardware and maybe something like what you mention is the result. You can try using curves (which makes it to be felt somewhat stiffer), or making your rudder pedals physically stiffer in any way you can and see if the control gets better with that.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Yep, what Manowar says. My solution was curves, since I've flown the Hip a lot as well and took the centering spring away in order to make the pedals respond correctly.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

IRL many aircraft are like that indeed, just the controls are stiff enough so you don't overcommand hence a perfect simulation of the real response in a module would be too sensitive with regular PC hardware and maybe something like what you mention is the result. You can try using curves (which makes it to be felt somewhat stiffer), or making your rudder pedals physically stiffer in any way you can and see if the control gets better with that.

S!

Over commanding is a problem IRL too, at low speed controls arent stiff enough to prevent from overcommanding.

In DCS you need good curves and just some practice and everything goes smooth.

And Bf-109 was hard to handle on the ground, during t/o or landing it was very tricky to handle.

But bf109 has ineffective rudder at low speed so i dont know why someone complain that is too effective :)

When i t/o i use full rudder to keep is straight gradually adding power to no go beyond rudder control range.

Edited by grafspee

S!

Probad, it happens at any speed be it take off or cruising. And the input needs to be as small as that you get a response. We talk about less than 1cm movement of rudder pedals. Using CH Pro Pedals with linear input, there is no spiking etc. Not complaining, just feels a bit odd that so slight input of rudder causes nose up and strong roll accompanied with wobble. Anyways, thanks for the input all. Much appreciated.