Gun ammo counter placement

Freefall57

I have been flying the Mig-19 quite a bit. While I don't find the cockpit ergonomics too bad, one design decision is baffling me. The gun ammo counter seems terribly placed. Surely this is important information in a dogfight (it might determine whether you take a chance to break off or not). Yet you have to look right down and behind the stick (this might be easier in real-life, but it still seems too far down).

Is there a technical reason it had to be down there or did they just not worry about that sort of thing (or am I wrong that it is poorly placed)?

Just to be clear, I am talking about the real-life decision to place it there, not how it is modeled in DCS.

While Soviets and Russians does very good interfaces, their few decisions baffles.

Example, Su-27S SPO-15 RWR placement and this.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thanks both, good to know it is not just me. It does add a bit of excitement in a dogfight; looking down and moving your stick to try to see your ammo counter (not that the Mig-19 necessarily needs more excitement in a dogfight, between avoiding stalls/spins and trying desperately to get rounds on the target as well as watching your fuel use like a hawk!).