Hornet Dogfight Tactics - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-02-2020, 01:18 AM   #21
victorlima01

Please do not get into get into the habit of using the paddle switch. No real F/A-18 pilot ever used it unless they were desperately trying to avoid becoming one with planet Earth. Like mentioned above, if you overgee your acft best case scenario your jet is down for a couple of weeks while they try to figure out if anything is broken. Worst case somehing comes loose right after your maneuver and you're a sitting duck for your opponent.

Otherwise congrats on beating the Fishbed. Took me a long time and lots of effort.
victorlima01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #22
Odey

Quote:
Originally Posted by =OPS=Slider1709 View Post
Fighting against AI and fighting against a human pilot is a different thing. Anyways, against AI you should ALWAYS keep your energy up, and go for turn fight, either horizontal or vertical. In horizontal fight, keep your speed at 350-355kts and you'll be good. Just be patient and you will slowly get on his six. Never go for snapshots. I mean you can try, if you are sure that the opponent won't be able to make you regret that decision aka shoot you down .
Snapshots are how I usually beat the Fulcrum. You have to learn how lead and predict your opponents flight path. Risky ? Maybe. Don't miss.
Odey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #23
launchedsquid

A little bit of knowledge goes a long way here.

The Hornet is a beast at slow speed, small radius, high alpha turns, there really isn't much out there that can even compete with it in that arena, it's not just good at it, it outclasses just about anything at it.

The Hornet is however not especially good at high G-force and or high speeds, 7.5G limit is outclassed by many aircraft in DCS and the Hornet has quite a draggy airframe and is reasonably slow against most of the fighters it will go up against.
Add to that it's power to weight ratio, if heavily loaded, can be quite poor too and you'll find it difficult to outrun or out accelerate many other fighters too.

That starts to inform your tactics.

If you merge with another fighter, you'll likely want to do it at a relatively slow speed, 400kts or thereabouts, and try to turn as tight a circle as you can without bleeding the hard to get back energy. Your goal is to turn in a tighter circle then the other guy, then you can start to gain angles, and only pull lead when your ready to shoot.

You'll be balancing off turning tighter against bleeding energy, you'll want to force a one circle fight, you'll want to retain your energy as best you can until the "moment" that you are in position to fire, then you cash that energy in and take advantage of the care free handling, stall resistance and incredible alpha and pull lead for the shot.
Just be careful, if you pull lead and trade your energy away at the wrong time, you might leave yourself with few options to continue the fight.

If you have AIM-9X's the Hornet can just about shoot down someone who is directly behind them if you can pull the nose around enough fast enough.

Last edited by launchedsquid; 07-02-2020 at 11:13 AM.
launchedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:10 PM   #24
=OPS=Slider1709

@Odey I didn't say to not go for snapshots at all, but to make the decision accordingly to the situation. I go for snapshots myself, but only when I'm sure it won't backfire at me, and I'll have the time to recover and get into neutral position.

Just to clarify, I fly the Viper, not the Hornet (transitioned from it with the release of the Viper). I know that I can't really utilize the full potential of my plane because of how the G-loc works in DCS, but it also has it's bright side. It forces me (and others) to develop new tactics to fight against different planes. And the harder the opponent, the better for me to learn and try to win a fight.

P. S. Call me a masochist , but I don't use 9Xs. It makes the fights more intense therefore more enjoyable, no matter if I win or lose .

Last edited by =OPS=Slider1709; 07-02-2020 at 06:12 PM.
=OPS=Slider1709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #25
Odey

Quote:
Originally Posted by =OPS=Slider1709 View Post
@Odey I didn't say to not go for snapshots at all, but to make the decision accordingly to the situation. I go for snapshots myself, but only when I'm sure it won't backfire at me, and I'll have the time to recover and get into neutral position.

Just to clarify, I fly the Viper, not the Hornet (transitioned from it with the release of the Viper). I know that I can't really utilize the full potential of my plane because of how the G-loc works in DCS, but it also has it's bright side. It forces me (and others) to develop new tactics to fight against different planes. And the harder the opponent, the better for me to learn and try to win a fight.

P. S. Call me a masochist , but I don't use 9Xs. It makes the fights more intense therefore more enjoyable, no matter if I win or lose .
Agreed. The 20mm is more "sporting". It's dang near impossible for me to get a "good" shot at the Fulcrum. I always put a couple rounds on it with a snap shot to slow it down a little. The way it turns into you it never gives any time before it goes by. You're right though, if you pull for a snap and loose your energy on the deck or what ever and can't get energy back, trouble.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #26
LtMacGowan

"There's an old fighter pilot saying-"Don't fight the way your enemy wants you to fight"" Well what I want to know is HOW does the enemy want me to fight?

Something really simple like MiG 29 at 25,000ft + Do this, 15-25,000ft do that, under 15,000 do this and never do that, vs MiG 25, MiG 21, M-2000C, etc etc.

I'm getting the idea that I should not try and enter a climbing fight with the MiG 21 but what is my best altitude to engage him? Whats his best altitude to engage me? and same with other planes.
LtMacGowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #27
Harker
DCS Ground Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtMacGowan View Post
"There's an old fighter pilot saying-"Don't fight the way your enemy wants you to fight"" Well what I want to know is HOW does the enemy want me to fight?

Something really simple like MiG 29 at 25,000ft + Do this, 15-25,000ft do that, under 15,000 do this and never do that, vs MiG 25, MiG 21, M-2000C, etc etc.

I'm getting the idea that I should not try and enter a climbing fight with the MiG 21 but what is my best altitude to engage him? Whats his best altitude to engage me? and same with other planes.
It depends on your opponent. An F-16 pilot, for example, should want to go for a two circle fight against a Hornet. Don't let him drag you into one.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:10 PM   #28
Odey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtMacGowan View Post

Probably more relevant is learning what not to do. There's no "formulaic" approach to BFM. There's theory. I'm sure you have heard plenty enough about 1 circle vs. 2 circle. Lead, lag and pure pursuit. Rate vs. Radius. It's all relevant but it's not like baking a cake. There is no set order.. The only absolute is the merge is the first. After that ? It take lots and I mean lots of practice. There's so much to process only experience will allow to build the skill set that's required. From energy state to angles. Not only do you have to do this yourself but you need to do the same for the adversary. Read up on theory. Finding material with illustrations is helpful. YouTube is a good source too. If you don't have Tacview get it. It will allow you to dissect every turn of the fight and compare it to BFM thoery and find the mistakes you or the adversary made. Just remember loosing is part of learning. Eventually, you'll find yourself not loosing. Good luck.