Wake turbulence for warbirds

JG13Wulf

It is a great feature, trouble being when you get a large amount of B-17s in formation, even on SP, frames plummet so those servers running WW2 scenarios that have groups of Fortresses spawning in de-activate the Wake Turbulence to keep it playable.

should be option to disable this wake for AI then

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

With all this realistic wake turbulence how do you account for your instinctive reaction on the controls? In real life, when the plane is thrown to a side you automatically react even as your brain is still realizing what is going on. How do you simulate that?

With all this realistic wake turbulence how do you account for your instinctive reaction on the controls? In real life, when the plane is thrown to a side you automatically react even as your brain is still realizing what is going on. How do you simulate that?

This is not simulator departament anymore, how or what pilot do is up to you,

Just learn to react for this,

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

tolgab, are you implying that physiological feedback (butt cheeks & inner ear - i.e acceleration and balance) provide faster human reaction response than visual cues? What evidence is there for this, because I'm not sure I agree....

Yeah, for example slide slip it is something you will not feel. Same reason is why plane cockpit is filled with countless gages showing what is actually going on with plane.

Are you implying that when you fly in sim and your plane starts banking to left you simply not able to correct that so you need help from game to simulate your natural reaction to banking plane?

This is like fundamental thing about sims, you will never experience it like real plane flying because you are not in the plane period.

I don't like server where weather are always smooth no wind no turbulence no wake turbulence this is so so boring then.

And if you don't like wake turn it off easy.

Edited by grafspee

Hello,

I am not a real pilot, I play only simulation. What I like in DCS it is this kind of stuff which put my thought … Hey there is this parameter to deal also, awesome !!

Thank you ED :)

Belly

Bf 109 K-4 / Fw 190 A-8 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P51-D / Normandy 1944 map + ww2 assets pack

tolgab, are you implying that physiological feedback (butt cheeks & inner ear - i.e acceleration and balance) provide faster human reaction response than visual cues? What evidence is there for this, because I'm not sure I agree....

You certainly feel a rotary turbulance before you can see its effect on the plane. Are you telling me that if you get a "slap" on one of your wings and you immediately counter yoke you only do it after you actually see the horizon tilt or instruments indicate it? I know I don't because I would and did react to wings tilting because of sudden turbulance while looking at the map.

It is true that in the clouds you won't know which way is up or whether you are in a turn or not. G's can play tricks on you, fair enough. But whatever conditions you are in you will feel the thumps and react automatically.

Also instruments have delays, they help with what you cannot see or feel., but your body is still faster if you can "feel" the changes. For me, this is also why taking off in a real plane is easier as I can feel the changes and counter react before they are big enough for the eye to see.

Edited by tolgab

This stuff is why they turned it back off

I hear wake turbulence isn't quite accurate in some areas though, such as on the ground, making planes move while stationary

A big jet screamed by really close taking off to my innocent I-16 parked on rwy side and shook it so hard it broke the gear and I had to repair.

Accurate? No idea. Memorable? Yes.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Yes I saw it when it was release. Again, I wasn't talking about how they work but how powerfull they are for so little planes. :thumbup:
And as I said, same as RL is :music_whistling:.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

And there is speculative but credible reasoning to believe that Mark Hannah's tragically fatal accident in a Buchon in Spain was possibly caused by encountering the lingering wake turbulence from his own run and break pass whilst turning on final to land.
Well, indeed that side of LELL airport is well known for local pilots since there's a large supermarket built well after the airport and those airconditioners on the roof make a really huge hot air current making aircraft sink wildly.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Yeah, for example slide slip it is something you will not feel. Same reason is why plane cockpit is filled with countless gages showing what is actually going on with plane.

Sorry, I have some flight experience..and of course you will feel sideslip in RL..

There is a reason why the slipball is pushed left or right...that force you will feel on your body (leaning left or right).

The greater the sideslip the more you wil lean left or right in your seat.

But the main question remains … is the amount of wake turbulence tuned differend for the differend Aircraft.

Lighter Aircraft create less lift...so should create les wake turbulence.

Is this taken in account by ED.....and How ??

I think it is a valid and normal question...and should be easy to answer by ED...

Thanks for the answer already ED..

Sorry, I have some flight experience..and of course you will feel sideslip in RL..

There is a reason why the slipball is pushed left or right...that force you will feel on your body (leaning left or right).

The greater the sideslip the more you wil lean left or right in your seat.

But the main question remains … is the amount of wake turbulence tuned differend for the differend Aircraft.

Lighter Aircraft create less lift...so should create les wake turbulence.

Is this taken in account by ED.....and How ??

I think it is a valid and normal question...and should be easy to answer by ED...

Thanks for the answer already ED..

I hate to be a broken record but you should give the video Yo-Yo posted a watch, it shows a heavy plane and lighter plane and how the wake turbulence differs based off total lift, g loading, other factors. If you want to apply it to WWII, an Su-27 is about the weight of a B-17

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I hate to be a broken record but you should give the video Yo-Yo posted a watch, it shows a heavy plane and lighter plane and how the wake turbulence differs based off total lift, g loading, other factors. If you want to apply it to WWII, an Su-27 is about the weight of a B-17

Sounds solid..Point taken...:)

Yo-Yo said that lift is calibrated in to wake

So difrence between su-27 and ww2 bird should be noticable

I think G load weight are both connected to lift directly

Edited by grafspee

• 2 weeks later...

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

New to DCS but 25 plus years in flight simulators.

I fly a real warbird, do simulated dogfights, some formation flying.

Wake turbulence in DCS is very realistic, it really impresses me, feels exactly as it feels in real life, definitely is not over modelled, I would say it is spot ON.

• Like 3

vor 57 Minuten schrieb motoadve:

Wake turbulence in DCS is very realistic, it really impresses me, feels exactly as it feels in real life, definitely is not over modelled, I would say it is spot ON.

thanks for your feeback, which WW2 plane in DCS do you fly?

27 minutes ago, Hobel said:

thanks for your feeback, which WW2 plane in DCS do you fly?

I fly all the DCS warbirds except for the IL16.

Also impressed with the flight models. IMHO DCS is the best simulator by far, no comparison to the other WWII ones, or FS2020 or Xplane.

• Like 1

• ED Team
1 hour ago, motoadve said:

1 hour ago, motoadve said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, its good to hear we are spot on with the wake turbulence. 

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2