DCS F-16 questions

Vinny002

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone tell what that beeping sound is and what it means? Yes it's a flameout landing, but I am pretty sure I heard it before. And no, the SAMs are not shot at me , they are friendlies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIIT2jDxrgo&feature=youtu.be

Was just gonna ask that same question, with that beeping sound a green light turns on just above the Fuel Quantity Selector.

It light up for me when taking off too, but only from some runways, not all of them.

Was just gonna ask that same question, with that beeping sound a green light turns on just above the Fuel Quantity Selector.

It light up for me when taking off too, but only from some runways, not all of them.

ILS outer marker.

but what does it do, what is its function?
it indicates the distance to the runway. They were more common before DME systems started to replace them.

It lights up and beeps even tho I didn't enter any ILS freq.

It uses a different frequency and aircraft antennae for operation. There might be a volume control on the audio panel below the throttle. That's usually how the audio is controlled.

it indicates the distance to the runway. They were more common before DME systems started to replace them.

It uses a different frequency and aircraft antennae for operation. There might be a volume control on the audio panel below the throttle. That's usually how the audio is controlled.

So it is basically a beacon, that tells you you are near the runway. Thnx.

So it is basically a beacon, that tells you you are near the runway. Thnx.

The distances of Outer and Inner markers usually play into decision heights for deciding whether or not you can continue an approach or if you have to fly a Missed Approach and try again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Thanks. Yes makes sense. It's the sound is from the ILS. I was confused because I didn't enter anything in the ILS nor in the TACAN page. But for some reason, sometimes frequencies and ILS code are entered correctly and active when you enter the plane. And you already hear the TACAN morse code on radio.

Edited by darkman222

• 2 weeks later...

Flight Departure for the F-16

Hey guys! Been reading this forum and searching around on how to depart normal flight in the F16. People say they've never seen it and I couldn't find a surefire way on how to depart normal flight in the f16 in dcs world. Have a look at my post/guide on how to do it and check my video out! :) Enjoy!

Guide:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4334275#post4334275

Video:

1. Missile types are changed by long press of missile step button, but it's not implemented right now. The gun for air to air is selected in the dogfight override mode simultaneous with missiles. For normal AA master mode there is no hands on select you must change from AAM to GUN manually via OSB press. In AA master mode gun and missile are mutually exclusive selections. I don't remember but GUN may not be selectable in MRM override mode.

2. Classic question about range knob. History is that range knob was for manual input of range estimate for air-to-air gunnery in F-16A. It still selects between two distances in LCOS (700' 1500') based on which half of the rotary range. It never changes the FCR distance selection. Since it is a useful control it has been adopted by other systems made later like TGP for zoom. It also applies a minor air-to-ground mapping radar gain correction so pilot can adjust picture. If only using EEGS (which has no use for range input) then absolutely nothing about a knob called "range" has anything to do with range. It's a historical quirk.

4. Check if T-ILS page shows TACAN OFF or REC. Distance feature requires transmit feature "T/R". SEQ to change TACAN modes. Default mode is receive-only.

Great answer on #2(Range knob). Quick Question: what would the ideal mapping be , rotary knob, hat-switch, or just a toggle on / off switch, and should it be an AXIS mapping? If so, which type of hat or knob?

It's a knob axis that twists and takes on all values smoothly from minimum to maximum rotation. Pressing the knob in along the vertical axis does the uncage function.

Hmmm, Ok, so an encoder won't cut it since there is no min/max. My T50-CM2 throttle doesn't seem to have anything i could use for that since there are no knobs that have a min/max much less have the ability to press in addition. I might have to get creative on that score.

What I do on the Warthog is use the TARGET programming software to make a button-driven virtual axis. I press the MIC switch up-down to increase-decrease the axis value and press it in for uncage.

I'm sure DCS also has button binds for increase-decrease range knob in the digital controls as well. A four-way hat (precious as they are) would make a good range-uncage control with up-down being adjust the knob and left & right being uncage.

What I do on the Warthog is use the TARGET programming software to make a button-driven virtual axis. I press the MIC switch up-down to increase-decrease the axis value and press it in for uncage.

I'm sure DCS also has button binds for increase-decrease range knob in the digital controls as well. A four-way hat (precious as they are) would make a good range-uncage control with up-down being adjust the knob and left & right being uncage.

having not owned a thrustmaster, i would assume TARGET is specifically for that. I will check in the TPC (virpil) software for a way to do that...not sure there is but it's worth checking. thanks a bunch for that info, that will really help!