Usage of DDIs

Ragnar65

Hi guys,

in the video at 2 min. the pilot talks about which functions he is usually putting to the three screens. He mentions some kind of "top down gods eye view" or "situation awareness" on then left DDI. So what information/function could he mean and will that be implemented into "our" F/A-18?

Rgds

Ragnar65

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Modules: F-5E, FC3, F/A-18C, Mirage 2000 C, AV-8BNA, FW-190 A-8, F-16C Viper

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

Thanx alot. So we will have it, right?

Have been flying the Hornet in FSX, but afaik there is no SA-page in the standard F/A-18... So I was curious what that guy meant...

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Modules: F-5E, FC3, F/A-18C, Mirage 2000 C, AV-8BNA, FW-190 A-8, F-16C Viper

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

Thanx alot. So we will have it, right?

Have been flying the Hornet in FSX, but afaik there is no SA-page in the standard F/A-18... So I was curious what that guy meant...

We will.

FSX has incomplete and incorrect hornet simulation.

PC: i9-10850K ~5.2GHz / Asus Rog Strix H490 Gaming, Asus GTX1080 Rog Strix Gaming OC, HyperX Fury RGB 32Gb RAM 3200MHz, SSD 512Gb, HDD 1Tb, Windows 10 x64. 2 x Samsung Curved 32" 

VirpilControls software engineer

We will.

When did the SA feature get added onto the Hornets?

During the 2000s? Afer or around the time LInk16 came around right? IF your going to see targets detected based on another aircraft radar would be through LInk 16 information sharing im guessing? since im not aware how else one would be able to do that.

IN other words im just better trying to understand what the SA awareness page encompasses and how it will work.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

When did the SA feature get added onto the Hornets?

During the 2000s? Afer or around the time LInk16 came around right? IF your going to see targets detected based on another aircraft radar would be through LInk 16 information sharing im guessing? since im not aware how else one would be able to do that.

IN other words im just better trying to understand what the SA awareness page encompasses and how it will work.

I am not authorized to answer this question :D

So, basically, it shows targets, emmiters, friendly air forces and their targets and so on...

U can find more information in network ;)

About When it was added - don't know.

I didn't interesting such questions.

Edited by ICS_Vortex

PC: i9-10850K ~5.2GHz / Asus Rog Strix H490 Gaming, Asus GTX1080 Rog Strix Gaming OC, HyperX Fury RGB 32Gb RAM 3200MHz, SSD 512Gb, HDD 1Tb, Windows 10 x64. 2 x Samsung Curved 32" 

So SA page is basically a combination of displaying information of Onboard Avionics, EW/ RWR, Radar mixed with whats provided by LINk 16 shared information from other Freindly flights or AWACS and updates from the Link16 Satellite's from on ground networks?

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Hi Matt!

Is the SA page something like the A-10C TAD?

Not exactly. A10C's TAD page is primarily used for Moving Map navigation. SOme SA stuff is available via its SADL data link, showing some friendly Flights ( Only those AI that have SADL like F15E or F16C) or broadcasting the TGP's SPI if selected to other A10 Flights, or communication with a JTAC allowing them to mark a point on the map he wants the A10 to attack. right now the A10 cant see aircraft with other data link types, and it seems F15E can't share enemy flights postion that they detect with radar via SADL, on the A10's TAD.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3312683&postcount=1

Matt did say this

"

Q: Will the Hornet be able to share datalink information with the A-10C?

A: Once we implement Link-16, this is something we will certainly explore using the A-10C gateway datalink capability. The A-10C uses SADL, not Link-16."

But I suspect there be some limitations on what they can share since they are different data link systems.

BUt in the F18 Moving map Navigation is primarily left for AMPCD ( bottom display). since its the only display that has colour capability. I think the "SA" is going to be something else, because the A10 TAD certainly doesn't show enemy flights based on what AWACS or freindly fighters detect with thier Radars, or what Radar threats are on the ground.

the Canadian Hornets upgrades were different ( actually comparable to the USMC F/A18A ++). The left and right DDI's were replaced with colour LCD Displays. In the US navy Hornets are still sporting 2 Monochrome Green CRT displays. So i think they will use displays in a different order. At the end of the day its up to the User what they need to use their displays for, depending on the task at hand.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

So SA page is basically a combination of displaying information of Onboard Avionics, EW/ RWR, Radar mixed with whats provided by LINk 16 shared information from other Freindly flights or AWACS and updates from the Link16 Satellite's from on ground networks?

SA is not similar to.TAD, doesn't shows RWR or onboard avionics, but DataLink information, ground threats, targets, friendly and enemy air forces

SA is not similar to.TAD, doesn't shows RWR or onboard avionics, but DataLink information, ground threats, targets, friendly and enemy air forces

I never did say it was similar, beyond the fact that it did provide what would amount to some degree situational awarness ( Friendly Flights that have SADL or SPI markers) but doesn't have the same sort of capability as link 16, which provides far more Information as you have noted, beyond what SADL provides.

In any case the analogy you used seems to Decribe it well. and il be one of those people who wont neglect to use that page. After all A general was quoted somewhere somewhere along the lines as saying the Link 16 was the greatest devised piece of technology for situational awareness since the installation of search radars onto Aircraft.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

BhDsxDS.jpg

This is a document regarding Datalinks. ( that SA page wouldn't truly be SA without Link 16)

http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/DataLinkProcessingAndManagement/Documents/Understanding_Voice+Data_Link_Networking.pdf

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

We will.

Still, it was a good placebo for us Hornet sniffers... Especially VRS Superbug... I long quit flying FSX. I really hope this hornet will be the ultimate short of flying the real thing edition. The god of Hornet simulation.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

The god of Hornet simulation.

as ED told, it will ;)

VRS is good, but with a lot of questions about systems implementation...

so, waiting DCS Hornet

So its like the HSD page in the f16?

Yes.. But it does more. The F-16 HSD page doesn't show RWR contacts, who you're jamming, HARM designations, etc.

Does anyone know what colors the DDIs can emit? Obviously green, but after watching a number of F/A-18C videos it looks like it can emit red as well. Though its hard to tell because the raster of the CRTs isn't synchronized with the shutter of the digital cameras recording it. Which makes me think it can render green, red and a mix of the two, yellow. There is also a "color" option in the data sub-menu of the Radar attack page.

Edited by Beamscanner

Does anyone know what colors the DDIs can emit? Obviously green, but after watching a number of F/A-18C videos it looks like it can emit red as well. Though its hard to tell because the raster of the CRTs isn't synchronized with the shutter of the digital cameras recording it. Which makes me think it can render green, red and a mix of the two, yellow. There is also a "color" option in the data sub-menu of the Radar attack page.

The DDIs introduced with the "Night Attack" version(Lot 12 and up) can display green, red and yellow for menu text, but only monochrome(green) for imagery.

The MPCD is full color though and can display most of what the DDIs can.

JJ

The DDIs introduced with the "Night Attack" version(Lot 12 and up) can display green, red and yellow for menu text, but only monochrome(green) for imagery.

The MPCD is full color though and can display most of what the DDIs can.

thanks!

So, can the ATFLIR be displayed in black/white on the MPCD?

thanks!

So, can the ATFLIR be displayed in black/white on the MPCD?

I don't know anything about the ATFLIR(too recent for my research) and I cannot remember exactly what can go where, but from the dark corners of my mind, I seem to remember reading that the MPCD can display any menu selectable format except A/G radar.

JJ