My UFC button box

JackFlash

So, I've just finished my latest project, a F/A-18C style UFC button box with some F-16 features.

• The box has a full set of keys for the UFC keypad and option buttons.
  • HDG and CRS momentary switches.
  • Radio rotary encoders with push.
  • Formation and position light knobs.
  • Two misc buttons
  • Five light knobs
  • Hook handle
  • Landing Gear handle
  • Jettison button
  • A 4-way "dobber"-switch

The box is driven by a Leobodnar BU0836X 12-Bit Joystick Board and a Arduino Micro.

Inside it has a small USB-hub.

The box is roughly the same size as the TM Warthog throttle and fits nice next to it.

I fly in VR and this box lets me keep my hand on the stick in most cases.

Any thoughts and suggestions for improvement?

BB.thumb.jpg.4c909aea0f910dfe2698119e1c3eafba.jpg

BB1.thumb.jpeg.6460b4906bc60a6642621a76d48e09af.jpeg

BB2.thumb.jpeg.e08f2b32750e662bdc01a789d8cf9ac5.jpeg

Edited by JackFlash

My latest project, the Multi Function Button Box can be found at Kickstarter.

Very nice implementation , and thoughtful choice of functions....

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Looks like a great buttonbox for general use.

Ideas:

- "Bobber" switch looks a bit short. Maybe make that one longer?

- Fuel Dump & Refuel Probe Switch?

- AA/AG and Master Arm switch?

Question:

- Whats the purpose of the big connector at the front? Future extension?

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Looks like a great buttonbox for general use.

Ideas:

- "Bobber" switch looks a bit short. Maybe make that one longer?

- Fuel Dump & Refuel Probe Switch?

- AA/AG and Master Arm switch?

Question:

- Whats the purpose of the big connector at the front? Future extension?

Dobber-switch will be longer. Waiting on a friend to 3D-print a stick.

TI thought of those as well, but ran out of space. I manage those functions from the TM warthog.

The big connector is just a over sized USB connection for pass trough. I thought it might look cool, but seems just to bulky as it is.

My latest project, the Multi Function Button Box can be found at Kickstarter.

Add a small "bump" for Num5 key in order to help orientation.

Do you have a file for the key labels?

Awesome job!

Edited by Tundra

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

That's my plan. Not sure what type of glue to use yet.

Buttons are attached. :smilewink:

I use self-adhesive silicone pads for my MFD and UFC buttons.

Thanks for the labels!

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 2 months later...

Hi!

Great idea and great build!

I'm looking to build something like it, but for fa18c and ka50.

Do you think it could be done with 2 leo bodnar BBI32 boards and a USB hub?

I would remove the rotary switches and keep the HDG and CRS switch, the UFC keypad, the A/P, IFF etc, the 5 function keys, the gear and hook switch.

I would add a master arm, AA and AG button, and a switch for the launchbar, + 24 buttons and 1 switch for the ka50.

Could you give me the links for the different switches and buttons please? I can't find any that look even remotely right...

Envoyé de mon SM-G950F en utilisant Tapatalk

Hi!

Great idea and great build!

I'm looking to build something like it, but for fa18c and ka50.

Do you think it could be done with 2 leo bodnar BBI32 boards and a USB hub?

I would remove the rotary switches and keep the HDG and CRS switch, the UFC keypad, the A/P, IFF etc, the 5 function keys, the gear and hook switch.

I would add a master arm, AA and AG button, and a switch for the launchbar, + 24 buttons and 1 switch for the ka50.

Could you give me the links for the different switches and buttons please? I can't find any that look even remotely right...

Envoyé de mon SM-G950F en utilisant Tapatalk

Nice job.

+1 on the links information.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.