Radar locking

=4c=Nikola

Yes. If you select a target with radar mode hcu on ddd you will have a pd stt.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

It doesn't work for me... I see contact on DDD, press half action on HCU, try to hover over target with "TDC", but target disappears. When I release HCU half action, target appears again.

I can lock only form pulse srch mode.

Adjust elevation from the HALF ACTION with the Thumbelwheel.

check your elevation. its seems to recenter when you depress half action

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

It doesn't work for me... I see contact on DDD, press half action on HCU, try to hover over target with "TDC", but target disappears. When I release HCU half action, target appears again.

I can lock only form pulse srch mode.

Hello Nikola,

the reason is that the supersearch mode used for this is only a 1bar mode. (see: http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html?highlight=supersearch#hcu-stick-in-radar-mode )

You surely have a 2bar or 4bar scan going and when trying to lock the target and "hover" over it on the DDD you're going to a 1bar scan.

You need to compensate for that by manually finding the right bar the target was found with and then lock it.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Hello Nikola,

the reason is that the supersearch mode used for this is only a 1bar mode. (see: http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html?highlight=supersearch#hcu-stick-in-radar-mode )

You surely have a 2bar or 4bar scan going and when trying to lock the target and "hover" over it on the DDD you're going to a 1bar scan.

You need to compensate for that by manually finding the right bar the target was found with and then lock it.

This is correct. It takes a bit of practice to get used to supersearch, as the cone is very small with iirc only 2.3° - this means that not only you have to set the correct elevation with the elevation control on the left console, but you have to additionally use the vernier fine elevation control for +/- 4° in order to properly scan the patch of sky the target is in.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

This is correct. It takes a bit of practice to get used to supersearch, as the cone is very small with iirc only 2.3° - this means that not only you have to set the correct elevation with the elevation control on the left console, but you have to additionally use the vernier fine elevation control for +/- 4° in order to properly scan the patch of sky the target is in.

Yeah, so far so good, but the problem is, that the elevation resets if switching to supersearch as Immel pointed out:

Adjust elevation from the HALF ACTION with the Thumbelwheel.

check your elevation. its seems to recenter when you depress half action

To be more precise: I have mapped the radar elevation to the slider on my WH throttle. I adjust the elevation while using RWS. I find a target in RWS and switch to supersearch to lock it. Upon switchting to supersearch the radar elevation recenters even though my WH slider is still off center. I know need to readjust it as well to the same elevation I had before. That's pretty annoying.

I guess the problem here might be, that in the RL Tomcat the radar elevation is not a slider but a scroll wheel. Is it really the case in the RL Tomcat, that if you switch to supersearch, that the set radar elevation jumps back to 0?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hello Nikola,

But in the HB manual it says:

In supersearch mode the antenna does a ±10° search pattern at the selected amount of bars around the acquisition gates.

In-game it switch to 1 bar as you says. Mistake in the HB manual ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

But in the HB manual it says:

In-game it switch to 1 bar as you says. Mistake in the HB manual ?

Don't know if it was changed in the manual, but in that case it's definitely not behaving like written in the manual.

Reported bug for what behavior?

That's all really nice, and I'm glad you've made that report, but none of this really answers the original question presented at post #6. :)

It's because that contact is inside the beam, the cursor is just the capture point. If you have a target co-alt at 20nm and another at 100, just because you put the cursor over the one at 100 in super search doesnt mean the radar isnt illuminating the one at 20nm.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

It's because that contact is inside the beam, the cursor is just the capture point. If you have a target co-alt at 20nm and another at 100, just because you put the cursor over the one at 100 in super search doesnt mean the radar isnt illuminating the one at 20nm.

Why is the target disappearing when the cursor is moved over it?

Please assume a lower level of understanding than you did in this reply.

Why is the target disappearing when the cursor is moved over it?

Please assume a lower level of understanding than you did in this reply.

If you are at a 4 bar search and you press half action, it switches to a 1 bar search, so the target could be lower or higher than the super search elevation, so you typically need to use the scroll wheel binding to move the antenna up and down to find the target.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

That makes sense, thank you.

Is it supposed to remain at the bar it was at when you half action is pressed? I've just been practicing in one of the training missions and it appears to be jumping to the centre bar when you go half action, regardless of which bar it was scanning at the time. So for an 8-bar scan it appears to jump to bar 4. It does this whether it's at a higher or lower bar.

That makes sense, thank you.

Is it supposed to remain at the bar it was at when you half action is pressed? I've just been practicing in one of the training missions and it appears to be jumping to the centre bar when you go half action, regardless of which bar it was scanning at the time. So for an 8-bar scan it appears to jump to bar 4. It does this whether it's at a higher or lower bar.

I would assume so, i dont think it should go to anything but the center bar (or mostly center) basically scan elevation 0 degrees.

I'm sorry, I do not get it. Where did you find second target in my example?
Your screenshots do not include the radar elevation marker, but my guess is the targets were above or below the zero-elevation point, so you would need to use the HCU thumb wheel to adjust the elevation back to where the targets were detected.

As I just found out, when you are in super search the elevation resets to the centre bar (e.g if you are in 8-bar search mode, super search will scan in bar 4), so if you were in anything but 1-bar search mode, the targets may have been detected above or below the super search bar, so you would need to adjust the elevation with the HCU thumb wheel.

That's exactly my problem. Not enough information. :)

Through what I can see on displays:

-Supersearch is just PD search mode with one bar, 10 degrees search pattern.

-It doesn't FM range, else that info would be displayed at TID.

Correct, but if can paint targets outside the TDC cursor, the cursor is for selection and only changes AZ, nothing else, you could go into super search and paint a target outside the cursor, it works just like a regular radar in super search but its 1 bar 10 degrees, not sure how else to explain it.

maybe this will help you understand, put the radar into PD Search AZ 10, 1 bar.. with a target at co-altitude off your nose, then when you see it, half action, you should see it the whole time.

I just tried that, I do not see it the whole time. The moment I pres half action, the target disappears. When I put cursor over the place I saw it during PD search, it reappears. If I then move cursor away from the target, it disappears again.

Strange, maybe i have a misunderstanding of super search, but Ill have to give it a go on my own then and report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Just sharing my results in the hope it may help identify the issue.

I have this same problem and have spent considerable time playing with this using a refuelling tanker with TACAN as the target, so it’s a known heading, altitude, distance and then closing from 30NM till at the tanker.

I have found that if you don’t use half action at all but instead just wildly guess when your HCU cursor should be over the target on the DDD and go straight to full action, if you have guessed well it will lock the target every time. No need to change radar elevation or settings from when the target first appeared on the DDD.

This is easily done when it’s a tanker flying straight and lever, not so easy when it’s a Mig but have found this method of guessing far more successful with Mig’s, etc than trying to use half action.

Hope this is of some value, have an outstanding day all.

:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:gun_smilie:

229th Assault Helicopter Battalion - Always Recruiting

If you have a passion for helicopter flight simulation and would like to fly in a friendly and supportive online multiplayer environment, then you’ve just put your skids down safely on the right page…!

DCS Squadron Recruiting Page for the 229th

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=267081

For details see our website at:

http://1stcavdiv.forumotion.net/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, was there an answer to this and I missed it...?

Thanks and have an excellent day.

:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:gun_smilie:

229th Assault Helicopter Battalion - Always Recruiting

If you have a passion for helicopter flight simulation and would like to fly in a friendly and supportive online multiplayer environment, then you’ve just put your skids down safely on the right page…!

DCS Squadron Recruiting Page for the 229th

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=267081

For details see our website at:

http://1stcavdiv.forumotion.net/

It was addressed in the previous update I think. Super search now uses the same number of bars as non-super search, so you won't see the target until the antenna returns to the bar where it detected the target.

You can go full action where the target was on the DDD and as long as the antenna returns to the correct bar within 1-2 seconds you'll get a lock. Whether this is correct behaviour I don't know.

Edit: this is PD Search. I don't think I've tried it in Pulse.