land base ILS system - Page 4 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2019, 06:48 AM   #31
Cake
Member
 
Cake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 348
Default

I find it amazing we have Hornets without ILS capability. It’s just such a fundamental solution and something that seems like it would be incredibly useful if going somewhere other than the boat. I guess you could just slap in the 430 and associated hardware and you’d be all set , with extra VHF radios to boot.
__________________
6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT
Cake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #32
G B
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post
I find it amazing we have Hornets without ILS capability. It’s just such a fundamental solution and something that seems like it would be incredibly useful if going somewhere other than the boat. I guess you could just slap in the 430 and associated hardware and you’d be all set , with extra VHF radios to boot.
Today’s US Hornets now have its own RNAV certification and can fly GPS approaches. This was a very recent addition.
G B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #33
LeCuvier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of France
Posts: 1,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post
I find it amazing we have Hornets without ILS capability. It’s just such a fundamental solution and something that seems like it would be incredibly useful if going somewhere other than the boat. I guess you could just slap in the 430 and associated hardware and you’d be all set , with extra VHF radios to boot.
Just go to post #4 in this thread, download the mod and try it. https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...51&postcount=4
Personally I consider this a "nice to have". I will probably use it just a couple of times to see how it works. But in general I find it's more fun to find the air field using TACAN. With fog or low cloud cover that may take a few attempts and that's real fun.
__________________
LeCuvier
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5
LeCuvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #34
Chuck_Henry
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G B View Post
Today’s US Hornets now have its own RNAV certification and can fly GPS approaches. This was a very recent addition.
That's only the Super Hornets, as far as I've heard.
Chuck_Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #35
G B
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Henry View Post
That's only the Super Hornets, as far as I've heard.
The Super Hornet got it a few years ago. The Hornet got it a few months ago with the latest software.

Last edited by G B; 03-15-2019 at 07:48 PM.
G B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #36
Chuck_Henry
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G B View Post
The Super Hornet got it a few years ago. The Hornet got it a few months ago with the latest software.
Damn, you weren’t kidding when you said “very recent.” That’s good to hear, then, if the Marine Corps really isn’t done flying them for another 10 years.
Chuck_Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:19 AM   #37
G B
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Henry View Post
Damn, you weren’t kidding when you said “very recent.” That’s good to hear, then, if the Marine Corps really isn’t done flying them for another 10 years.

Not just the Marines. VFA-106, VFA-204, VFC-12, and NADWC, are all flying them for the foreseeable future, as well the Blue Angels for a couple of years. They should get good use out of the new features too!
G B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #38
RShackleford
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G B View Post
Today’s US Hornets now have its own RNAV certification and can fly GPS approaches. This was a very recent addition.
Any idea if it is certified for the approaches requiring glidepath assistance (LPV) that allows you to go down to 200' mins?

I foresee most military aircraft upgrading to RNAV in the near future. The FAA is getting rid of a ton of NAVAIDS such as NDB, VORTACs, and even ILS in the next few years. NDBs are pretty much all gone already. Most fighters can already use RNAV for point to point navigation but aren't certified for terminal area navigation yet (STARs or GPS approaches.)
RShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:42 AM   #39
G B
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShackleford View Post
Any idea if it is certified for the approaches requiring glidepath assistance (LPV) that allows you to go down to 200' mins?

I foresee most military aircraft upgrading to RNAV in the near future. The FAA is getting rid of a ton of NAVAIDS such as NDB, VORTACs, and even ILS in the next few years. NDBs are pretty much all gone already. Most fighters can already use RNAV for point to point navigation but aren't certified for terminal area navigation yet (STARs or GPS approaches.)

For the Hornet and Rhino, up until they received GPS RNAV capability, they still navigated via non-GPS RNAV (they filed /I on flight plans). This is similar to what you alluded to.



Now they have true, legit GPS RNAV capability. For the GPS approaches, it is LNAV only (no vertical guidance). While the lack of precision approach isn't good, it opens up a TON more approaches and allows access to airports that were previously inaccessible in IMC.


They can also fly RNAV SIDs and STARs, but due to some limitations, there are specific ones they cannot fly and those get filtered out of the system.
G B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:33 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.