[NO BUG] [VR] Cockpit seems too small

lesnyborsuk

Hello,

First of all - congratulations of your work. F14 looks truly like a product of love and I am already missing flying it while I am at work!

However, I feel that cockpit in VR is just too small. I have heard stories of real world F14 pilots and RIOs that said that there was pretty lots of space comparing to the other aircraft.

Thanks for checking.

UPDATE:

I have tried to lean forward and recenter and now it looks fine. The cockpit size is OK, but please fix the head position.

Edited by IronMike

I remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous.

That is good workaround, but I don't want to change IPD everytime I switch to different aircraft.

F14's cockpit seems to me as tight as P51's, which doesn't seem right.

Even with laser scanning, II assume there should be some parameter, just like IPD that scales everything in VR.

I remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous.

Looks fine and spacious to me, even compared to other cockpits.

Keep in mind that default eye position in VR is quite forward. Your head is not resting on the headrest but somewhere halfway between the seat and front dash. That may cause a feeling that the dashboard is too close.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I noticed also that head is a bit in too forward position. Just lean a bit forward and reset VR position.

Yep, that's also my impression. If you look down to the seat it seems that your not leaning at the back. But I think the overall dimensions are correct

I7-9700K -- 32GB RAM -- RTX 4070 -- Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle + WarBRD Base -- Thrustmaster TPR -- Quest 3 

55 ipd

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Yep, that's also my impression. If you look down to the seat it seems that your not leaning at the back. But I think the overall dimensions are correct

Hope heatblur will fix the head position in VR soon. Is there a lua file one can edit?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

Hope heatblur will fix the head position in VR soon. Is there a lua file one can edit?

Just adjust head pos and save as default view as per here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=235134.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The head position is wrong. In the default the groin is top of the ejection handles and almost top of the stick. My knees are inside the knee panels and there is like a 20 cm space between back and the seat, while I am floating 10 cm above the seat.

Yes, you are not suppose to lay on the chair, there is a space there, but you have the parachute or what care package it then is, behind you, between chair and you. But no, you can not fly any fighter aircraft by trying to hold yourself up straight without the support of the seat. And you can't turn head around or vertically if it is sticking on the headrest, but still the head positioning is wrong as it can be fixed by moving the default location to aft and down.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I've been in the front seat of an F-14 and it seems the same...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

You should always lock the ipd in vr settings to your ipd for all aircraft. it will make car, trees, everything in scale to you! If you dont know your IPD you can download an IPD ruler here and have someone hold it to your pupils and give you a reading. https://www.targetoptical.com/wcsstore/TargetOpticalStorefrontAssetStore/Attachment/TO-PD%20Ruler-FINAL-062113.pdf

Edited by Mbmanhattan

Use Right Control + Right Shift and the keypad - and * keys to move your head position forward and back. You can also use the numbers to move your head position up, down, left, and right.

For the 14 I moved myself back a fair amount, and down a bit. Now it seems fine.

The IPD is a pain to deal with when it has to be changed per aircraft type. Someone above mentioned that the A10C is too big - it is. Even when you set the IPD so that the cockpit looks to be the right scale the stick looks massive.

A hint for setting the proper IPD: look at the flight stick and make it about the same size as your HOTAS stick. Then look outside while flying there will be a sense of being able to discern the correct distance to things on the ground if the IPD is set correctly. Sorry I cannot express that sense any better. It will just suddenly feel real when you have it correct. Setting it to the stick size will get you very close then you can tweak it from there.

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

View position in VR feels about right to me too. Reminds me of the times I sat in F-4's in the RAF.

Awesome cockpit in VR

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.