Question about the burning time of the R77 engine

• 1 year later...
On 8/21/2019 at 5:20 PM, nighthawk2174 said:

I think its more doctrine than anything else, the Russians, as far as i'm aware, have continued on with the doctrine of employing multiple guidance systems on their missiles. Firing at least two of different types at a target.

Not really I think its about keeping the shelf life of newer more expensive missiles Or utilizing stock of older missiles and since there isn't really any A2A threats for the Russians over Syria they don't have to arm with a full R-77-1 Loadout Like how Israeli F-15I are seen armed with Mix of Sparrows and Aim-120s

On 8/21/2019 at 5:20 PM, nighthawk2174 said:

I think its more doctrine than anything else, the Russians, as far as i'm aware, have continued on with the doctrine of employing multiple guidance systems on their missiles. Firing at least two of different types at a target.

image.pngimage.png

On 8/20/2019 at 11:53 PM, razo+r said:

You shouldn't fire ARH missiles in a furball/merge. That is the case when the SARH missiles are better.

I never understood why do ARH have disadvantage over SARH in a fur-ball. I mean can't the aircraft's radar switch from one target to another? If not, what prevents it from doing so as compared to ARH?

Disclaimer: I know DCS treats each target as a perfect dot, but would this apply IRL?

Edited by Cmptohocah
Corrected typo.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

3 hours ago, Cmptohocah said:

I never understood why do ARH have disadvantage over SARH in a fur-ball. I mean can't the aircraft's radar switch from one target to another? If not, what prevents it from doing so as compared to ARH?

Disclaimer: I know DCS treats each target as a perfect dot, but would this apply IRL?

Its very rare in DCS the radar will switch targets. But according to an F-15E WSO on here, its a bigger problem IRL, and a supported AMRAAM with the datalink can actually be more useful than SARH in a furball scenario.

But TLDR, In DCS SARH is pretty much always safe for furballs. IRL it isnt. ARH always has some inherent risk, but in DCS its worse than it should because the advantages of supported AMRAAMs are not fully modeled.

The common perception that you can "safely" fire a SARH missile into situations where an active missile might grab onto a friendly is flat out wrong, and is a common thought because of how they are mechanized in DCS, IRL you still would not want to shoot a SARH missile into a merge or into the near proximity of friendlies, it has about as much of a chance of guiding on a friendly as an active missile would, if not more. Locks can swap targets when jets are in close proximity, the radar beam is not a laser beam, it will be illuminating multiple things in close proximity. Active missiles can in fact be safer to shoot into those situations. The fact that you can cut the lock is also a simplification, what happens if you drop lock in the tomcat? It goes to flood mode, and if they are in your HUD theres a decent chance that missile might still get guided into something you dont want.

Edited by dundun92

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

On 8/17/2019 at 2:10 PM, GGTharos said:

You're the troll here. The numbers for the R-77 come from a Russian missile engineering book. So do the R-27 parameters. But hey, don't ask me - ask Chizh directly.

It's technically not even a russian missile. 

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/russias-most-feared-air-to-air-missile-is-actually-kind-of-a-dud-ebebe8b28f4f

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/what-made-russia’s-deadly-r-27-missile-so-good-173300

Edited by Skysurfer