MAC (Modern Air Combat) Discussion

LCUChap2016

so im guessing youtubers get acces to some developers build of WIP MAC to participate as testers?

Then if MAC has gotten that far along i wonder when DCS community can expect some official announcements.

Also Id hope that MAC will include updated cockpits for all of these aircraft, and thus in turn for us module owners.  IT would seem silly to release a new game with simplified aircraft with those dated models.
Yeah, that makes sense.
Also, AFAIK Suntag is part of the ED WWII TEAM now.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Kev2go said:

Id hope that MAC will include updated cockpits for all of these aircraft

From the January 2021 newsletter:

M.A.C

Modern Air Combat (MAC)

Despite the lack of updates on this project, it is still very much alive and we are making continued progress. Much of the work remains on the new gameplay modes, updating the 3D models and cockpits for the MAC aircraft, creating a new input manager “wizard”, and continued work on a new Graphical User Interface. We are shooting for 3rd quarter 2021 release, but latest Q4 2021.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

On 8/12/2020 at 5:02 PM, NineLine said:

Yeah I think what Simon meant with his comment is that MAC aircraft will still be available in DCS, that MAC wouldn't remove FC3 or anything, but MAC itself will be a stand alone thing.

Do you think Eagle will ever do a Flaming cliffs 4 or do you think any future development with that level of fidelity will be MAC

7 hours ago, upyr1 said:

Do you think Eagle will ever do a Flaming cliffs 4 or do you think any future development with that level of fidelity will be MAC

There will be no FC4,
Flaming Cliffs name belongs to Ubisoft IIRC.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Would also love an update here. I am so pumped about the prospect of this sim. 

The casual sim market and nostalgia factor should be huge, and there are a good number of Jet Fighter/USNF/Jane's/LOMAC players from the 90s to early 2000s folks like myself that would love to dive into something that wouldn't require 60 hours of study time just to become basic. All we have are arcade blasters or DCS. MSFS is a nice option but of course there's not combat associated with it. 

Yes, I certainly get the draw of the serious study sim and modeling systems and learning all of the complexities, but it's all a bit much for many of us. Thanks. 

• Like 6

Any updates will be posted by an ED Team Member or through an ED Newsletter, asking on the forums for an update every few weeks isn't going to make updates come faster.

• Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2022 at 6:54 AM, Mogster said:

I still think MAC should feature aircraft ED wouldn’t touch normally through lack of data. F22, F35, Grippen, SU35, EF T4 etc. Decent close enough FM, simplified avionics. Why not?

ED's own standards still apply for the flight models and other things. 

• Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

• 4 months later...

Probably canceled, looking at what kinds of planes WT got now, and in near future will have all modern jets including F-22, F-35, SU-35, SU-57.

MAC would be a good thing if the models of those planes be available in booth products DCS as AI and in MAC for flying without grinding months to get them.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that depicting modern weapon platforms as AI in DCS would be a nice eye candy but most people here would be really dissatisfied with the approximation of, for example F-35 flight envelope. 

MAC was not cancelled I think, at least it wouldn't be coz X game got this or that. 

Just wait for the news or updates. Forget it now, and focus on what's available currently. That's my way of dealing with DCS development.

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I've got an idea, why to separate community on two products, make development. and fixing bugs longer by that. If Flamming Cliffs is owned by Ubisoft then release MAC for DCS with 4 flyable jet planes without clickable cockpits aka Flamming Cliffs 3.

Jets like F-22, F-35 vs SU-57, SU-35

I'm sure that a lot of people would buy it, look at Growling Sidewinder videos sort by popularity, most popular are F-22 and SU-57 you don't need to be an Einstein to know that it would sell very well. I know that we have mods but most important thing like flight model is off so whats the point of flying them?

• Like 1

Going to go out on a limb and say this one will never see the light of day.  The developers took too long and now the market for it has completely evaporated.  Another, unnamed developer is diving into modern aircraft, capable of being flown in PvP or PvE.

Had it been released on time, there was a chance to make headway.  And it’s a shame because I don’t have the time to devote to learning anything as complicated as DCS World.  I have a job and a family that I like to spend time with.  MAC was aimed directly as people like me, so I’m disappointed it never happened.  The developers will be better off focusing on their high-fidelity DCS products and scrapping this one.

Edited by LCUChap2016
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, LCUChap2016 said:

Going to go out on a limb and say this one will never see the light of day.  The developers took too long and now the market for it has completely evaporated.  War Thunder is diving into modern aircraft, capable of being flown in PvP or PvE.

Given that we don't know what MAC was even supposed to be exactly, I wouldn't agree here. If anything there is still plenty of room for something like a modern Jane's USNF.

I'd even argue that MAC being separate from DCS might be a mistake. MAC, as a DCS module, could possibly facilitate FC3 level aircraft that wouldn't make it into DCS otherwise, maybe including modern Russian assets.

Edited by Exorcet
  • Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

On 1/29/2023 at 4:01 AM, LCUChap2016 said:

Going to go out on a limb and say this one will never see the light of day.  The developers took too long and now the market for it has completely evaporated.  War Thunder is diving into modern aircraft, capable of being flown in PvP or PvE.

Had it been released on time, there was a chance to make headway.  And it’s a shame because I don’t have the time to devote to learning anything as complicated as DCS World.  I have a job and a family that I like to spend time with.  MAC was aimed directly as people like me, so I’m disappointed it never happened.  The developers will be better off focusing on their high-fidelity DCS products and scrapping this one.

You are probably right. At the moment I can't be bothered to even start up DCS World. There is simply too much effort involved for far too little reward. The developers breaking their own game every other patch is the straw that broke the camel's back in my case. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• ED Team

Folks please keep the discussion here about DCS and MAC only 

When we are ready to share more news we will, for now development continues. 

thank you

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 4 months later...
  • ED Team
7 minutes ago, lazduc said:

Any news on MAC that ED or even third party may be interested in developing this type of sim?  Been 5 months from last entry.

Hi, 

we know it has been a long time, but we will only share news when we are ready to. 

At the moment work on MAC continues. 

thank you

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

Only way I might be interested in this is if there were aircraft like F22 or F35 but even then I don’t think my interest would last that long if I’m honest. As much as I loved FC and FC3 etc I moved on and perused and longed for full fidelity aircraft like the A10 and the F18. I no longer play Flaming cliffs but would love full modules of some of those aircraft particularly the F15C the Su27 and Mig29. The thing is the way DCS world has evolved it’s the sim that people go to if they want the most realistic experience possible and if you want a lighter more easy experience you go to other sims if FC3 doesn’t give you what you want. One in particular that I can think of has the complete monopoly on this area and I don’t see any point in competing against them. That’s what they do and DCS does what it does and they have no chance of competing against dcs in terms of flight models and realism.
Focus on what you’re great at and keep your resources devoted to what you’re great at, that’s how I feel anyway. We are all entitled to our opinions. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Indeed, I don't really care for FC3 myself other than the occasional free flight in the MiG-29/Su-27 simply because I am interested in those aircraft and we don't get to fly them otherwise...

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I don't know if it still applies, but we've heard a few times in the past that Flaming Cliffs was the most popular part of DCS World. Given that fact, I don't see why there should be any issue over the question of whether MAC should be released or not.

As for the poster saying that it should be part of DCS World - I didn't know it was going to be separate, as I hadn't followed the 'news' about it that closely (for me it's out when it's out) but I can definitely see the logic behind it being an independent title. I think the kind of customer this is aimed at won't want to be downloading 150+GB of terrains and then updates of around the same size (last one was 130GB). So from that point of view it makes sense. (even excluding the mods folder altogether my DCS World stable install is 125GB) and with terrains it's 386GB)

Edited by Johnny Dioxin

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• 1 month later...