New Clouds for DCS

Devil 505

Hey Gents,

Trying no to violate policy here on talking about another game, SO, I decided to just dedicate this formally to speaking about new clouds and weather in DCS.

I recently tried a new VR game that was amazing with their new clouds system. It made me realize with all the new modules coming out, I really hope ED has some new weather effects inbound this year.

The experience flying through cumulus, cumulonimbus, altocumulus clouds, ect in VR is one hell of an amazing experience. It would be nice if there was a dedicated team working on weather and natural events that would flesh out the sim more. I am completely on board with new modules, but the weather, especially for us WW2 buffs, would greatly improve the online and even single player experience when flying in VR.

The tech I have scene and used that is out there now would be amazing in DCS. I know they have stated these are things they wish to work on in the future, but I am hoping it is sooner than later. I would be just as happy to get a fleshed out natural environment With realistic clouds and weather as I would a new module.

Love to hear what you gents think on this. Super fired up with where DCS is going and the possibilities that lie ahead.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess on the game is a recently released flight "combat" game for Playstation 4 :thumbup:

I think back in 2017 Wag's said they were working on a new weather engine for the 2.5 update. This got me really excited about 2.5 but sadly here we are in 2019 without even a single WIP screenshot of new weather. There has also been no mention of work on a new weather engine so I'm suspecting that work has been shelved for now.

That being said.. I'm not sure why a 3rd party developer or mod team couldn't make some improvements to the look of the current weather. I've played around with adding HD cirrus cloud textures and it's pretty easy to do and looks much better then the stock ones. Modding the cumulus clouds appears to be a little more tricky however.

Here's what it would look like with 2048x2048 cirrus cloud textures...

picture.php?albumid=1631&pictureid=10395

picture.php?albumid=1631&pictureid=10392

picture.php?albumid=1631&pictureid=10400

Edited by bandit648

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

Care to share that altocirrus mod?

I can't, I modded textures from an addon I own for another sim to work in DCS. However, it would not be hard at all for a talented texture artist to make new cirrus clouds for DCS. If I can find the time I'll try to make my own that I could release as a mod.

Maybe we can talk someone who is good with textures into making some for us :music_whistling:

Maybe someone like... oh, I dunno... Mustang??? :helpsmilie:

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

Hey gents, the name of the weather engine is trueSKY. If DCS can implement something equivalent to this, we will be in heaven. I am typing from the phone but will post a YouTube video of it later. It will literally blow your mind. Makes the current DCS clouds look like cotton swabs. I am just as fired up, if not more fired up, for proper weather as much as I am a new module! Looking forward to showing you gents.

I cannot discuss the other game I played because it’s a violation of the forum rules, I believe 1.15. Someone guessed it though on the prior page. Lol

But will it mean the clouds will stop rotating when you move your head in VR?? :huh: :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

i say... ED should really focus on the IMPORTANT things in this world

not....... "clouds" and weather and the natural environment PILOTS deal with the entire time they're in flight

no - they should instead devote precious developer time on.... you guessed it! non-binary intersectional femi-tran-fluid-gender-fee-fee-native-immigration-pan-euro-sensitivity-....-PROFIT?-.....-ism

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Holly santa clause sh_t OttoPuss, I did not know about that tech. I am down with that for sure. Looks great! Hope we can start to see stuff like this in the future. It brings an entirely new level to flying, even just casually. Flying through the clouds in VR is awesome.

No offense guys, that is truly awe inspiring... but it's also irrelevant. People always pop in with neat looking advertisements for other engines like it's the holy grail, neglecting the complexity implied.

DCS is using a homemade proprietary engine. It can't just copy paste over, nor is there any guarantee the proposed engines are capable of 'DCS' without substantial further revision. Changing engines would mean taking everything done over the last ten years, except 3d assets, and throwing it in the trash to start over.

These engine demos are not typically 'game ready' anyway, it's like an engine block in a car. Key component yes, but useless without all the myriad boring bits that go with it.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

No offense guys, that is truly awe inspiring... but it's also irrelevant. People always pop in with neat looking advertisements for other engines like it's the holy grail, neglecting the complexity implied.

DCS is using a homemade proprietary engine. It can't just copy paste over, nor is there any guarantee the proposed engines are capable of 'DCS' without substantial further revision. Changing engines would mean taking everything done over the last ten years, except 3d assets, and throwing it in the trash to start over.

These engine demos are not typically 'game ready' anyway, it's like an engine block in a car. Key component yes, but useless without all the myriad boring bits that go with it.

you are not wrong, however there are also lots of middleware solutions, that can be implemented "easily". see speedtree for example, that is used to generate and help with rendering all those trees in dcs already.

i would argue it is more a question of licensing cost versus cost of self development.

you are not wrong, however there are also lots of middleware solutions, that can be implemented "easily". see speedtree for example, that is used to generate and help with rendering all those trees in dcs already.

i would argue it is more a question of licensing cost versus cost of self development.

and ending up where you, in this case(ED) want to get to. That's exactly why they built their own engine to go with their own simulation engine and the big end game design they think is good and where they want to be at.:)

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link