Some issues with night missions

canox204

Ive been having some weird issues during night flying that have never happened during day flights.

Same exact mission I made in the ME, switched to midnight time and these issues start occurring.

1: The ABRIS goes crazy spinning around and showing my plane flying around the map when I am stationary at the helipad. Sometimes it goes back to normal once I lift off, usually not.

2: My weapons pippers (rockets pipper mostly) disappear from the HUD. I can still shoot but the pipper is gone until I reset my targeting.

As far as illumination rockets, do they work right now? I can get them to sorta illuminate the terrain but when I look in my Shkval its shows no illumination at all.

I tried to copy this method (its from 2015 granted) and it looks nothing like this at all, mine has hardly any light.

I know the KA50 we have isnt supposed to be a night fighter, but we have these options and I am just curious if anyone has made them work recently.

Thanks!

X52

I tried to copy this method (its from 2015 granted) and it looks nothing like this at all, mine has hardly any light.

The video is likely from DCS 1.2.16 which used a different render method.

Night lighting in 2.5.x is poor and still requires adjustment by ED.

I know the KA50 we have isnt supposed to be a night fighter, but we have these options and I am just curious if anyone has made them work recently.

AFAIK it requires work from ED as the world lighting effects all modules.

I'm not aware of a work around and lighting issues like these are why I have a legacy copy of 1.2.16 on my system.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Illumination rockets have been broken for a very very very long time. Their light just doesn't show up on the Shkval at all. Has been reported ages ago and no attempt to fix it was made.

The problem with your pipper comes from the Shkval giving you wrong range information. Similar thing happens in rain or dusk/dawn lighting.

As soon as the laser stops firing range updates are calculated based on Shkval view angle and helicopter movement. Since the Shkval can't see anything it can't track the ground and the whole calculation goes off towards infinity.

Just don't bother with the Shkval at night until illumination rockets work properly again.

Maybe boresight mode works since it only uses the rangefinder, however I don't think it will.

The ABRIS thing I've never encountered in 10 years of Ka-50.

It uses satellite navigation and I remember you can get wrong information if one or more are masked by mountains. In this case you'd go to the GNSS page and filter out all satellites with bad connection. Details on that in the manual.

Since I've never experienced anything like this I'm not sure this is even implemented properly, but I don't know what else it could be.

Thanks guys for your replies.

So I guess the SU25's illumination bombs wont work either? Its a lighting issue?

The ABRIS thing I've never encountered in 10 years of Ka-50.

It uses satellite navigation and I remember you can get wrong information if one or more are masked by mountains. In this case you'd go to the GNSS page and filter out all satellites with bad connection. Details on that in the manual.

Since I've never experienced anything like this I'm not sure this is even implemented properly, but I don't know what else it could be.

I know, right? I havnt ever had a problem with the ABRIS before either.

The speed and distance numbers are jumping all over the place.

I thought I maybe made a mistake in the mission editor, but it always works in daytime hours.

Ill try the satellite thing or spawning my Shark in a different spot. Would starting hot/cold make a difference do you think?

Thx again!

X52

Nope, all illumination bombs/rockets are broken since 2.5. They probably share the same illumination code which just doesn't work (properly) anymore.

Could you upload the MIZ file so I can have a look at the ABRIS issue?

Finally a reason to play around with the GNSS settings. :)