Which would be easier to learn?

BlacleyCole

Ok I’m conflicted on which module to learn to fly combat missions on. The f-16c or the a-10c? I hear those of you that have learned the warthog say the viper has the same systems or something like that. So being a new fixed wing combat pilot to be which module to learn on the older complete warthog or the new inwork viper? I have both the cougar and warthog hotas so learning will be item for item and for the hotas bound stuff plan on using point controller in vr. Once I go threw the trining missions if not before. I heard to do the training missions on a monitor the graduate to vr. The only problem maybe getting the cougar to calibrate and stay calibrated until I conver to re4ly’s magnetic setup and usb conversion so I maybe slow getting it going. Eventually I plan on having a uh-1, f-16, a10 setups for my pit and if they release a oh58 hotas setup I’ll get it also. Plan on using the tm tpr rudder pedals

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

It really depends. The Hawg is complete and you can learn all aspects of that bird now. She is a fun aircraft to fly and challenging in her own right. She is sloooooooow; that is one thing to keep in mind.

The Hawg has really good HOTAS integration, The Viper is a close second and leave a lot to be desired in the Hornet in that department.

There are a ton of missions specifically for the Hawg; including ED's Red Flag campaign. Others have created some really good content for it as well. That will be a benefit for offline flying while you learn the bird.

There are a lot of Hawg "veterans" out there that can teach you the bird faster than by yourself. The Hawg is getting a cockpit refresh soon and I plan to put some time in her again once that is done.

Personally I am a big fan of the Viper even though all of the systems are not in place/polished. The nice thing is you can learn each new system as they get released and you will have more mission profiles available with a multi-role fighter.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

As mentioned the TenC is slow. It's a true CAS aircraft, the real pilots obviously say this "weakness" is its greatest strength. Sure you have a couple IR missiles on 1 wingtip as last resort, and they do serve you well against AI.

The F16 is much more multi-purpose and much faster, again obvious, but it totally changes how you go about taking out the same cas targets within the same situation. You can be lazy in both and carry cbu97's (and 105s in the Hawg) but it requires a bunch of bad guys to be in a pretty tight grouping. The a10c let's you fiddle around with the burst settings to achieve better results in various "more realistic examples".

The F16 is by far easier to learn, if only because it was designed that way, and is half missing still, but once you've learned the Hawg, like any module, what was once a step by step process via a manual/tutorial soon becomes muscle memory, the viper is the same.

I'm flying DCS and pretty often someone comes in with a question like yours "should I get X or Y?" And my answer back is always a question, "what is it you want to do?"

Both are good choices in their own right, both handle nicely, both are extremely deadly in the right hands

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

Both are fun to fly, and on both aircraft you have to learn a lot.

As said before the 10c is complete, while the F 16 is not.

You should ask yourself: Do I want a ground pounder? Then choose the A10. And you are going to be slow.

Or do you want a multi-purpose, fast jet? Then it is the F 16.

I felt the Viper is (at the moment) pretty easy to learn and to fly...

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

As mentioned the TenC is slow. It's a true CAS aircraft, the real pilots obviously say this "weakness" is its greatest strength. Sure you have a couple IR missiles on 1 wingtip as last resort, and they do serve you well against AI.

The F16 is much more multi-purpose and much faster, again obvious, but it totally changes how you go about taking out the same cas targets within the same situation. You can be lazy in both and carry cbu97's (and 105s in the Hawg) but it requires a bunch of bad guys to be in a pretty tight grouping. The a10c let's you fiddle around with the burst settings to achieve better results in various "more realistic examples".

The F16 is by far easier to learn, if only because it was designed that way, and is half missing still, but once you've learned the Hawg, like any module, what was once a step by step process via a manual/tutorial soon becomes muscle memory, the viper is the same.

I'm flying DCS and pretty often someone comes in with a question like yours "should I get X or Y?" And my answer back is always a question, "what is it you want to do?"

Both are good choices in their own right, both handle nicely, both are extremely deadly in the right hands

Well I both plus others I’m just wanting to learn by the best way and I don’t mean the typical dcs way hop in play with it and you finally get it right. I want to learn the way the usaf teaches it both academic and flying . That way you know what to do why you are doing and what the end result should be. You will not just guess at an outcome.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Both are fun to fly, and on both aircraft you have to learn a lot.

As said before the 10c is complete, while the F 16 is not.

You should ask yourself: Do I want a ground pounder? Then choose the A10. And you are going to be slow.

Or do you want a multi-purpose, fast jet? Then it is the F 16.

I felt the Viper is (at the moment) pretty easy to learn and to fly...

Ok the a10c is complete and slow and I have it.

Ok the f16c is not complete and fast and I own it.

Ok which is the easiest to learn?

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

I've flown the DCS A-10c for years and i've flown the Viper in the other sim for a decade. It's a complete Viper with all systems working.

I think the Hog is easier to learn. That's not to say it's easy but I found it easier than the Viper. However, i'm not just talking about how to use the all the systems but how to use them in battle/missions. As complex and complete the Hog is you only have to learn A2G. With the Viper, you have A2G and A2A. Learning to be a good fighter against other fighters can take a long time to get good at. It's something not needed with the Hog. Sure you can fire a sidewinder now and then but that's pretty simple compared to what the Viper has to do.

So, the Hog is complex in what it does and so is the Viper. For me, it took longer to get good in the Viper than the Hog.

Just my .02.

Buzz

Thanks buzz I guess I’ll try the a10 first

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB