HP Reverb Display Cable Error

Shadow912

Hi,

I'm looking for some help. I recently purchased an HP Reverb Pro VR system. I have followed the online instructions to connect the device to my PC but when Windows Mixed Reality runs, it gives me the following message: [Error 1-4 - Connect your Display cable].

My system is as follows: Asus Mobo, Core i7-7700k @4.20Ghz, NVidia GeForce GTX 1080ti GPU, 32GB ram, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD.

I have removed and reinstalled the GPU drivers using the NVidia DDU software (in safe mode), removed WMR and WMR for Steam and reinstalled. PC is fully updated.

Nothing is working, I see the device appear in the device manager when I connect the USB cable but nothing is showing in monitors section.

Anyone had the same issues?:cry:

Sinclair ZX81 - 1K RAM - 16K Wobbly Ram Pack - Tape Drive - Kempston Joystick :helpsmilie:

If you still have a VIVE or Occulus, disconnect it.

Make sure you are using USB 3.0 or switch USB 3.0 ports to another. (Maybe remove other usb devices temporarily till you first get it running.

Try a different DP port and maybe a different port for your monitor? I think I had issues when my monitor and HMD both used DP ports so I swapped to HDMI.

Also try plugging in and unplugging the middle connection. I get this error on occasion and this last step tends to fix it.

Good luck.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

If you still have a VIVE or Occulus, disconnect it.

Make sure you are using USB 3.0 or switch USB 3.0 ports to another. (Maybe remove other usb devices temporarily till you first get it running.

Try a different DP port and maybe a different port for your monitor? I think I had issues when my monitor and HMD both used DP ports so I swapped to HDMI.

Also try plugging in and unplugging the middle connection. I get this error on occasion and this last step tends to fix it.

Good luck.

So... Yes I do have the Oculus Rift, I disconnected it and deleted all the software - no joy.

I am using USB 3.0 (Blue USB sockets), tried all sockets - no joy

Not unplugged all USB devices but I will try that this evening.

I have tried all three DP ports (which all work with my monitor btw) - no joy.

I don't have HDMI on my monitor but I have a large TV in the same room with HDMI, I'll try that this evening too.

Middle connection? I guess you mean the connection on the HMD, I tried connecting the USB and DP connections first then connecting the HMD via the middles connection - no joy

I'll report back after trying your suggestions. I have also checked this solution but I don't have the subfolder with the BAD_EDID in my registry settings.

Go the registry editor, press start and type regedit, press enter to open.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY

In there find the default display folder.

Inside that folder, there may be a parameter sub folder.

In the subfolder, see if there is a line that starts with BAD_EDID

If there is, delete the whole parameter folder and reboot.

Now your HMD should be detected as a monitor by windows.

I have also tried another Reverb unit (owned by a friend of mine) on my system and we got the same error so I don't think I have a dodgy unit....

Starting to tear my hair out a little now :dunno:

Sinclair ZX81 - 1K RAM - 16K Wobbly Ram Pack - Tape Drive - Kempston Joystick :helpsmilie:

hmm... incidently i got the same message. I restart the pc and for me the problem is gone. I don't know if that's the case, but try it and maybe..... :D

Ohh...I start Windows mixed reality direct after restart. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

hmm... incidently i got the same message. I restart the pc and for me the problem is gone. I don't know if that's the case, but try it and maybe..... :D

Ohh...I start Windows mixed reality direct after restart. :D

It's been restarted multiple times... but thanks ;-)

I'd get on the phone to HP right now. Not their useless web people unless you love indian tech support.

This is a cable or headset issue. Best bet is unplug/replug every thing, including the headset connection and try wiggling the cable or applying a bit of strain at the connection point to see if it picks it up. But 100% call them now and get it replaced.

I see you are in the UK so hopefully you guys have better customer service but I would 100% get it replaced right away. Mine started having this issue and its only gotten worse, HP told me Monday that I would get unit by the end of the week, I just got an "Update" and they moved that window to end of JANUARY. I'm beyond pissed having opened this ticket with them over 2 weeks ago.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah by “the middle connection” I mean mini DP connection to the headset. That and restarting fixed the one or two times this happened to me.

I think I had this error initially but I am fairly sure I resolved it by swapping DP ports or swapping my monitor to HDMI.

I know the headset can have issues if the USB does not have enough power, which is why I suggested unplugging other devices.

If you can’t get it fixed with simple reinstalling, trying different ports, and plugging/unplugging, try giving HP a call as Harli says.

It seems doubtful if it is the headset as your friends didn’t work either, but they might be able to walk you through the setup.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

Yep, I am getting this same error on my 2nd Reverb that arrived just a few days ago.

9 times out of 10, I have to disconnect and reconnect either the USB or the main socket near the headset to make it work.

I have tried different ports on my 2080Ti, and various USB ports to no avail. I currently have the Reverb connected to a port on a PCI-e card, so there should not be any power issues.

I spoke with HP support yesterday, but, of course, it worked OK when on that call(!), so, they are calling me back today. Let's see how that goes.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks for all your comments guys.

I tried removing all other USB devices apart from keyboard and mouse - no joy

I removed my monitor from the DP port is was using and connected up my TV using HDMI - no joy.

Tried all the USB3.0 (blue) ports and all the DP ports on my GTX1080Ti - no joy

So I think I might have a duff reverb but as @imaken said, it's strange that my friend's reverb wouldn't work on my system either...

Totally at a loss... A call to HP later to see if they have any other ideas... I'll keep you all posted

:-(

Just as an aside... I just checked on the HP website for my warranty details and my 2 year warranty for my Reverb which I received on Monday runs out in October 2021 ???? Go figure!! :mad::mad:

So I think I might have a duff reverb but as @imaken said, it's strange that my friend's reverb wouldn't work on my system either...

Already tried the other way around? Then you can rule out the Reverb if it works on his PC and the problem then points to your PC only.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Just as an aside... I just checked on the HP website for my warranty details and my 2 year warranty for my Reverb which I received on Monday runs out in October 2021 ???? Go figure!! :mad::mad:

Funnily enough, I had the exact same situation!

I called HP and they have updated the warranty to reflect the correct dates.

On the topic of the Cable Error, HP tech support got back to me today, and said this was a known issue and that HP and MS are working towards a solution that should come 'soon'. For the moment, they said the only workaround is to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable.

I'm going to buy an extension cable so I can access the connector from the front as scrabbling around under my desk to get to the back on my PC several times per day is not good!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Funnily enough, I had the exact same situation!

I called HP and they have updated the warranty to reflect the correct dates.

On the topic of the Cable Error, HP tech support got back to me today, and said this was a known issue and that HP and MS are working towards a solution that should come 'soon'. For the moment, they said the only workaround is to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable.

I'm going to buy an extension cable so I can access the connector from the front as scrabbling around under my desk to get to the back on my PC several times per day is not good!

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how many times I disconnect and reconnect the USB cable, mine never works. I see it in the USB list but nothing is showing on the displays and WMR says Please connect the display cable...

Screenshot_1.thumb.jpg.8444495e95ee5e8a3847b950fb82da09.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg.64f14e8006edc6a463fec59ba7e4b394.jpg

Already tried the other way around? Then you can rule out the Reverb if it works on his PC and the problem then points to your PC only.

Haven't had a chance to check this as my friend brought only his HMD not his PC when we were testing...

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how many times I disconnect and reconnect the USB cable, mine never works. I see it in the USB list but nothing is showing on the displays and WMR says Please connect the display cable...

So, when you have that error, what happens when you disconnect the USB cable or the main cable near the headset?

With me, the error message goes away and it then says, please connect headset. I plug it back in and it works fine.

So, when you have that error, what happens when you disconnect the USB cable or the main cable near the headset?

With me, the error message goes away and it then says, please connect headset. I plug it back in and it works fine.

The error goes away and then when I reconnect it comes back...

The error goes away and then when I reconnect it comes back...

The only other thing I can suggest is that your USB ports are under powered. I have mine plugged into a PCI-e USB card and that works well. If I try one of the ports on my PC, then I sometimes can't get rid of the error.

Worth a try for £20?

The only other thing I can suggest is that your USB ports are under powered. I have mine plugged into a PCI-e USB card and that works well. If I try one of the ports on my PC, then I sometimes can't get rid of the error.

Worth a try for £20?

What card are you using? Did I see some of the guys had issues with the Inateck cards?

It's the Inatec card. I think a couple of people had issues with using the card drivers rather than just using the standard Windows ones.

Another thing that worked for me was to disable the device in Device Manager when the error appeared, then re-enable. That was easier for me than disconnecting/reconnecting USB cable.

I am also trying the USB cable in a mains powered HUB at the moment. I haven't seen the error yet! Early days though.

It's the Inatec card. I think a couple of people had issues with using the card drivers rather than just using the standard Windows ones.

Another thing that worked for me was to disable the device in Device Manager when the error appeared, then re-enable. That was easier for me than disconnecting/reconnecting USB cable.

I am also trying the USB cable in a mains powered HUB at the moment. I haven't seen the error yet! Early days though.

Using the 2 port non-powered or a powered version? (Sorry so many questions :cry:)

I'm using this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=inateck+pci-e&qid=1575559285&sr=8-4 but, as I said above I'm having more success after I plugged it into a powered USB hub. I'll test some more today and report back.

I'm using this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=inateck+pci-e&qid=1575559285&sr=8-4 but, as I said above I'm having more success after I plugged it into a powered USB hub. I'll test some more today and report back.

Just found an Anker 4 port USB3.1 powered hub..... let's see if it works before I start shouting at HP (Well I will be shouting about my 'not quite 2 year' 2 year warranty!)

This one will turn your GPU 16x3.0 PCI 16 lanes into a 8x3.0 8 lanes PCI because you need to plug that into one of your large PCI slots.

You will loose also +/- 1% of performance through this (which in general you won't really notice).

This one: https://www.exsys.ch/de/pcie-karten/usb-3.0/standard/pcie-usb-3.0-karte-2-ports-renesas1.html (info from Chapa) does not since it's not using a large PCI slot but the smallest one. This will keep the 16 PCI lanes available.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

This one will turn your GPU 16x3.0 PCI 16 lanes into a 8x3.0 8 lanes PCI because you need to plug that into one of your large PCI slots.

You will loose also +/- 1% of performance through this (which in general you won't really notice).

This one: https://www.exsys.ch/de/pcie-karten/usb-3.0/standard/pcie-usb-3.0-karte-2-ports-renesas1.html (info from Chapa) does not since it's not using a large PCI slot but the smallest one. This will keep the 16 PCI lanes available.

Not sure I follow you. What's the difference?

Just found an Anker 4 port USB3.1 powered hub..... let's see if it works before I start shouting at HP (Well I will be shouting about my 'not quite 2 year' 2 year warranty!)

Well, switching to my powered hub seems to have solved my problem! I just need to put the headset on and up pops the Cliff House!

How long will it last?