Stop labels showing through cockpits

Mohamengina

Easy solution. Turn off the labels.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I also dont like this. Maybe this will be adjustet in future.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

Easy solution. Turn off the labels.

For modern jets I leave labels off.... but in the warbirds it's no fun to fly around for an hour and not see anyone. Would be nice to use the labels to enhance the lack of scaling in DCS if they could fix some fundamental problems with labels.... like cockpit masking.

ASUS ROG G701VI-XS72K 17.3" - i7 7820HK - GTX 1080 8GB - 32 GB 2666mhz - 512 GB SSD - Win10 Pro 64-Bit - T̶r̶a̶c̶k̶I̶R̶5̶ - Samsung Odyssey HMD!! (Amazing!!) - X56 Rhino HOTAS

And then have no visibility at all?

You can see just fine without labels. Give it a try.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

For modern jets I leave labels off.... but in the warbirds it's no fun to fly around for an hour and not see anyone. Would be nice to use the labels to enhance the lack of scaling in DCS if they could fix some fundamental problems with labels.... like cockpit masking.

…and the in-game setting not working in MP. :D

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

And then have no visibility at all?

mate, IRL pilots don't tend to see big labels in the sky indicating enemy positions unless there's a JTAC who will mark with smoke and/or lasers.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

mate, IRL pilots don't tend to see big labels in the sky indicating enemy positions unless there's a JTAC who will mark with smoke and/or lasers.

IRL pilots also have tons of visual cues that aren't replicated in a game, much less on a flat screen, that help them spot and identify units much easier than this game allows. Unfortunately, the game does not properly simulate perception so other visual aids are required to create a realistic environment.

This labels.lua modification is added to the sample misson file, and working in MP.

The MP issue isn't that labels aren't seen — it's that the client can't control what level of labels they want to see. The server always enforces a specific label even in missions where you've not actually said what labels should be used.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

This thread is about a wish that there should be an option not to show lables when they should be hidden from cockpit/plane or maybe other aircraft.

It is not about the sense of lables in common.

Real pilots may spot targets easier than we do without lables, or they may not. But they won't spot them thru the plane. (As long as you don't have a HMD of an F-35 :music_whistling:)

I support the OP's wish :thumbup:

Yes, this is in fact a third option, occlusion of labels in direct line of sight by physical objects. It's a much more complex dev effort than imagined.

The labels mods are good, right until you realise that light grey doesn't work in the same subtle way when you use it at night. Considering dawn/dusk's popularity, using subtle lables isn't a great solution for those that want one solution, I gave up on labels, they really ruin immersion in VR.

ED did try the "imposter labels" with an exaggerated "sprite" over the object at long distance. It never really worked out.

I would like if they enhanced the natural things like "glint" and smoke. Smoke is one thing I can claim I really have seen give away an object at distance. Glint could be the next.

And finally, there is that the server enforcement of lables has been broken for quite some time.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I would like if they enhanced the natural things like "glint" and smoke. Smoke is one thing I can claim I really have seen give away an object at distance. Glint could be the next.

And finally, there is that the server enforcement of lables has been broken for quite some time.

Agreed here. I have found more targets through smoke and contrails than I have by sheer pixel dedication. You'd be surprised how much exhaust some aircraft give compared to others with plumes coming out that tailpipe of theirs. ;)

And servers enforcing this would not be so likely, as it is usually considered a way of cheating, especially in a PvP environment. Not many servers enforce wake turbulence even, due to how rubberbanding with that option on equals death to you.

to think it further... shouldn't lables be hidden/masked by trees, buildings, or other obstacles?

I like your idea of spoting things by their traces (whatever they are)!

But as long as we can see each and every enemy (especially on the ground) no matter whether it is hidden or not, the sim is far from realism. Lables should help. But a god-mode shouldn't be the only option with lables, imho.

And servers enforcing this would not be so likely, as it is usually considered a way of cheating, especially in a PvP environment. Not many servers enforce wake turbulence even, due to how rubberbanding with that option on equals death to you.

What he is referring to is the fact that label enforcement on servers is currently broken, and has been for a long long time. It is impossible not to force labels since, if you ask it not to, it pulls a setting from a mission file that shouldn't even exist, and enforces that setting instead. This means that labels are not actually a working solution to visibility problems and that, since they've already admitted that DCS' visibility needs work, there really is no good way around the illogical and unrealistic way visibility is calculated at the moment.