Anyone here flying with Pimax 5K+?

Trip, you mentioned you were using a motion plattform. So I guess you are really into it. And here's the point: Together with your motion system the Pimax 5Ks large FOV is just a BOOST!!! The immersion is just impressive! Not having to turn your head during a close formation to snap a view on your neighbour, peeking at him on your peripherical view is just so close to realism!

So unless you really want to spent 5000,- (+) on another excellent professional HMD, the Pimax is definitely the thing to go with, especially when you are into immersion and experience.

Cheers

Evilbert thank you for your input as well. What you say about me is true, my friends know I take "immersion" more seriously than anyone else they've ever met. I really want the 5K+ for exactly the reason you cite, but for me if I decide it was a bad decision the financial consequences would be a real blow. For the same reason upgrading my 1080 (not a ti) is not an option I can consider currently.

The thing is I'm doing all of this on ridiculously low income, I'm still paying off the (maybe $5,000ish) motion sim three years later as well as the vive plus three trackers (plus ex-wife debt)! I had to switch from Oculus CV1 to Vive in order to gain motion compensation for the sim. I drive a sorta beat up old 1996 F-150 and I live in a trailer/mobile home (on an owned lot) LMAO. I do also have one nice 1966 Corvair Corsa but it's been broken for about five years; since just before I started on the whole VR motion sim thing.

And you need to find, just the right settings for each game and sim.

Both in the Pitool software, then in steamvr, then in game.

And changing anything will likely mean shutting everything down, re-starting services, rebooting the hmd, and things can be wonky so you this might need to be repeated a couple of times.

LMAO @Bob_Bushman I'm an officially diagnosed H.F. Autistic (the artist formerly known as Aspergers which is part of the reason for my very limited funds) and I've been trying to catch them all too. I've been not selling the old gear when I get the new like I normally do because twenty years down the road I want to have my DK1, DK2, CV1, and Orig. Vive and maybe the next one or two HMD's all lined up on the display shelf. =) VR is something I've been waiting for most of my life, and I'm reveling in the experience of being an early adopter so I want keepsakes.

Bob, that's one of the reasons I decided it wasn't worth the risk. I'm down for that kind of thing normally, but what you describe is what I'm already doing (to an extreme) with my home built motion simulator :joystick: so layering tinkering with the Pimax software on top of toying with the motion sim software, SteamVR motion compensation plugin settings, hardware, and firmware, and to a much lesser extent toying with SimShaker for Aviators the result is already nearly exponential in terms of "wasted" time and I'd be adding -1- to the exponent value. I put that in quotes because actually I enjoy the tinkering, but I might cease to enjoy it if I keep adding to it more and more and it gets to be really unmanageable.

The main fear I have is that if something happens like a bug where PiTools refuses to work with the SteamVR third party opensource motion compensation plugin, who knows how long it might take to get fixed. It's entirely possible it might never get fixed. This is a whole lot less likely to happen with a mainstream native SteamVR setup.

I want that FOV, I can't describe how badly I want it, but for once I decided to be a responsible adult..... well ok that might be a slight exaggeration, I did just buy yet another VR setup that will mean living on bread and water for another few months. :music_whistling: :megalol:

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

@TripRodriguez

Same here actually. Diagnosed about a decade ago now.

Apparently it was the fastest approved diagnosis they had ever done hehe.

Money doesn't fall off trees here either but I do ok.

And VR and simming is the only thing I don't skimp on and for some things, middle of the line is twice as expensive since it leaves me usually wanting more.

Been dreaming about VR since summer 91 where I tested it at a fair.

Then saw lawnmower man a few years later, terrible movie I know.

And yes someone did ask me if I was going to get locked in if someone turned the hmd off.

:eyeroll:

I did skip the early Oculus prototypes but pre-ordered both vive and rift.

And backed the Kickstarter for the Pimax as a "why not" so that's only cost me $100 recently and I backed for about $600 18 months ago.

Using the 5k reminds me a bit about how it was switching from windows to debian on a laptop in 02-03 and trying to get working wifi, takes some effort but it is possible.

But even though successful I'm only getting 36 fps, with brainwarp running that is just barely ok.

I haven't bought a 2080ti since I consider the benefits not enough for too much, I would rather try and wait for the next series and get a proper upgrade then.

Try being the operative term, I am tempted to say "sod it" and just get one.

As for VR the fov in the 5k is nice, but not quite as absolute as I believed.

I may be odd but to me, frame rate is king, or, at least the illusion of frame rate.

I honestly right now think the unit fit for most people is the rift S and will be the most likely one to simply "work".

From what I hear it's got good lenses and should present comparable resolution to the 5k.

So I have pre-ordered one of those too.

They won't let me get an index yet so we will see, if it's between the 5k and index I would give the index the nod.

I find myself missing the dash desktop interface even more than I first thought.

And that motion rig looks awesome.

That's one thing the S might not be so great at, since it has internal tracking it would need cancelling out as well.

Then again I don't have motion.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

@TripRodriguez

And that motion rig looks awesome.

That's one thing the S might not be so great at, since it has internal tracking it would need cancelling out as well.

Then again I don't have motion.

Rift is a straight up no-go with the motion sim. At present the ONLY tracking solution I can use on the motion sim and get really good results is Lighthouse.

As for Lawnmower Man, that's where my obsession started. The movie was awful even as a kid but this stuck in my head: If you don't remember this is displayed right at the beginning of the film... liars!

https://imgur.com/a/0Up79cV

Image link not working for some reason, will try to fix later got to run now! For now I'll just leave the direct IMGUR link.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

• 7 months later...

Sorry to revive this old thread.

I hope somebody can help.

I have been using my pimax 5k+ for the past 7 or 8 months and I actually have no complaints.

I also have a 4 Dof motion platform and till now I have used that with no motion compensation.

Now I bought a vive tracker and installed it behind my seat and both Pimax and the tracker are in view of my single lighthouse v1

My problem is this..

When I activate the motion compensation in pitools my view is not centred anymore and I can’t centre it with numpad 5.

No way to recentre my view.

When I activate motion compensation I instantly find myself looking at the seat pan of the aircraf.

I haven’t installed Vr imput emulator, I don’t think it’s needed but I am unsure.

I figured I would try to ask here before messing with this.

I wouldn’t want to mess things even more than what they are now.

Any thoughts anybody?

@Karika

Thanks a lot for your help.

Actually I have seen what you wrote just now but it's too late.

This afternoon I was able to fix it.

The way I made it work was to rotate the Vive tracker till I saw the correct image inside the headset.

It works perfectly, so motion compensation in the pimax works 100%

After about one year, today I had the best flight on my motion platform!