Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

I understand your argument Alpen but I saw you yesterday kill our tanks at small lake (shahid or something) and we had F-14 and many F-5 planes everywhere :) I dont think red was dominating the dogfights so you had no cover really. But I saw tacview and you were hugging the mountain and only came out to fire then disappeared again. Not until I landed some shots at your tail but it was late because most tanks were dead. you almost hit me with your gun rounds :thumbup: and you almost hit the viggen with your vikhr at 9 km :doh:

Did you make it back home? my tacview was cut. But the point is the Sharky in the good hands is deadly.

I made it back home, yes, and had no system failures. I landed 10-15 meters from the helipad though. Was low on fuel and couldn't make the last meters. Couldn't believe it... Meters only!

You too have a point. However, if you only knew how rare I even make it to the TA to begin with before F-5's get to me. And you're right about Red not having air superiority yesterday, but most fights were happening at the bigger lake (Salman lake) which is why I took the other route and decided to pay your lake (Shahid lake) a visit. And even then, you in your F-5 got to me. Was a bit too late for you (luckily for me) but you got there still. And that's my point.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Would any Red pilots mind having the F-14A added to more missions (depending on how big a mission is and if it fits in the scenario given)?

Simultaneously, would any Blue pilots mind having the MiG-29A added to more missions to counter the F-14A?

Notes:

- Bear in mind that the MiG-29A (if available at a different airbase than other MiG's will have access to R-60M missiles!).

- Also, the F-14A would have more AIM-7M missiles available. More AIM-9L's as well.

- Both aircraft would be as usual available in limited numbers only.

- In some missions (like in Open Range), Mi-8 and UH-1 pilots would have to sling load ammo boxes to activate the two advanced jets.

Think about it and let me know, please. Would love to have your opinion on this.

Cheers!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Would any Red pilots mind having the F-14A added to more missions (depending on how big a mission is and if it fits in the scenario given)?

Simultaneously, would any Blue pilots mind having the MiG-29A added to more missions to counter the F-14A?

Notes:

- Bear in mind that the MiG-29A (if available at a different airbase than other MiG's will have access to R-60M missiles!).

- Also, the F-14A would have more AIM-7M missiles available. More AIM-9L's as well.

- Both aircraft would be as usual available in limited numbers only.

- In some missions (like in Open Range), Mi-8 and UH-1 pilots would have to sling load ammo boxes to activate the two advanced jets.

Think about it and let me know, please. Would love to have your opinion on this.

Cheers!

As a (n00b) blue pilot I'd love to see more F-14As, and don't mind having more MiG-29As as a counterbalance :-) Additionally, Tomcat, having playable RIO, enables extra gameplay possibilites for those having a buddy willing to take the backseat. Both airplanes fit the overall 'feel' of the server, and with the limited number of slots should not lead to an imbalance.

F-14A should stay, its just that we need earlier version which HB is still cooking, with older weapons.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Restricted (in numbers and/or by unlock actions) Tomcat and Fulcrum slots are a great addition IMHO.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Fine with this. Earlier 14 with older weapons and MiG-23MLA (make sure not to use the Iraqi SPO-15/ASO-2 mods, no matter how much people beg!) will come eventually and can replace the 14A-135-GR and MiG-29A.

Tomcats seem to fare a lot worse than you'd expect (even more so if I'm flying it!) so I don't think it really affects the gameplay negatively at all.

The kind of feedback I was expecting!

While most players talked mainly about the F-14A and how well she fits in, the MiG-29A was barely mentioned, rather the MiG-23MLA which is surely going to be added but that was not the topic. The 2 x R-27R and 4 x R-60M missiles (the latter when available) are mostly 5-6 kills if used well! Can't see the F-14A beating that even if she carried 6 x AIM-7M's. So there is that "fear" of the MiG-29A which concerns players more than the F-14A. Now you see why I wanted to hear your opinions, especially from a Blue persepctive because they're the one who face the Fulcrum!

I'm not really sure myself to be honest.

I'll have to sleep on it again and take a closer look at the missions.

I hear you, Oberst.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

While most players talked mainly about the F-14A and how well she fits in, the MiG-29A was barely mentioned, rather the MiG-23MLA which is surely going to be added but that was not the topic. The 2 x R-27R and 4 x R-60M missiles (the latter when available) are mostly 5-6 kills if used well! Can't see the F-14A beating that even if she carried 6 x AIM-7M's. So there is that "fear" of the MiG-29A which concerns players more than the F-14A. Now you see why I wanted to hear your opinions, especially from a Blue persepctive because they're the one who face the Fulcrum!

I hear you, Oberst.

About the Tomcat and its weapons: Doesn't it also have the AIM-7F available? Wouldn't that one be more fitting for this server than the M?

I really hope we will get even older weapons for the Tomcat eventually (AIM-7E, AIM-9G/H) for 70s style missions. :joystick:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

About the Tomcat and its weapons: Doesn't it also have the AIM-7F available? Wouldn't that one be more fitting for this server than the M?

I really hope we will get even older weapons for the Tomcat eventually (AIM-7E, AIM-9G/H) for 70s style missions. :joystick:

True, but then the MiG-29A should carry R-60's only and not the M's. It's a FC3 plane and has access to the R-60M only. Just like the Su-25's. To counter that I gave the Tomcats 24 x AIM-7M's in addition to the -7F's. The 24 M's however are wasted quickly in 2 sorties by 2-4 Tomcats (depends on whether they make it back home or not). And if shot down by SAM's or MiG's the missiles are obviously gone. So I really don't mind the F-14A much, especially because I can give it less capable missiles while the MiG-29A wrecks with its 2 x R-27R's mainly but also with its 4 x R-60M's.

I don't want to brag, but I do get the 5-6 kills in the MiG-29A using missiles only. At one time it was 8 kills with all 6 missiles hitting their targets and then 2 guns kills. 8 kills where aircraft are limited in numbers (Open Range)! That's tough. And I know 1-2 MiG-29A players who fly on the server and get the same results. Don't hate on me now, Blue, but I haven't seen one F-14A player doing the same or half of that. The RIO might be the issue but I'm just guessing as I don't fly the F-14's anyway. So again, if we had the R-60's and not the M's for the Fulcrum then things might be slightly different. And flying a FC3 plane is probably easier than a full-fidelity F-14A.

Again, I'm not sure about this. We'll see...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

F-14 have very narrow scanning, so in closer ranges it got real difficulty finding targets unless pilot knows where to look.

Btw in Open Range (i think it was called like that, the one mission with sling cargo to unlock 14/29), Mi8 got spawn on main Red airfield but there are no airframes there. So mi8 has to fly there from farp adding another 40 miles to flight

I've only faced the 29 a few times, in one or two it was unaware of me and in the most recent they either sprinted away when threatened, or I got jumped by two and simply failed to defeat a second or third missile because I bit off more than I could chew. They're pretty scary but they can be killed, you just need to try and waste their R-27s and then either get too close for the R-60 to turn, or too far for it to reach. It is a lot more limited in range than most people realise, especially chasing a pursuing target.

On the other hand, the radar is easier to deal with, and the close combat modes are very good.

I want to learn the ins and outs of ground unit commanding and how it plays into building FARPs, reinforcing and whatnot. Is there a good resource someone can link me to? (Esp. how it relates to this server). The only stuff I can find is just tutorials on the actual mission editor of how to work with ground units, but not how to play with them.

I hear you, Oberst.

Tried the 14 couple of times. Very rarely ran into trouble unless i do something silly. Most of the time i had a successive sortie.

Oh BTW regarding Mig-23 and the future.fAny chance that we will have some equal plane set once we have 23 and Mirage F1? Or will it still be F5 vs 21 centric

I want to learn the ins and outs of ground unit commanding and how it plays into building FARPs, reinforcing and whatnot. Is there a good resource someone can link me to? (Esp. how it relates to this server). The only stuff I can find is just tutorials on the actual mission editor of how to work with ground units, but not how to play with them.

What do you mean by "into building FARPs"?

The Combined Arms module has a bunch of keybindings that can easily be remembered. This is how at least I did it. Then I started driving around, learning how to aim, how to fire and in time your hands become quicker.

You can find loads of tutorials on how to use the ground units (one is even done by an actual tank commander) that might help - youtube.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

...Oh BTW regarding Mig-23 and the future.fAny chance that we will have some equal plane set once we have 23 and Mirage F1? Or will it still be F5 vs 21 centric

The MiG-21 and the F-5 will always be the main modules. They're the essence of the server around which every mission is designed. Will never change that. Other modules that fit in will be added, but on the cost of the main two modules.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I take back what I earlier said about the F-14A. It's fine when the teams are relatively even and there are enough fighters to deal with it. When 2 F-14s (flying as a pair) and 2 F-5s are facing a single MiG-21, as the only player on the entire of red team, it's not quite so fun.

Honestly I think the 4th gen slots should be locked until the server either hits a minimum number of players total, or the opposite team does. And yes, I could've got in a MiG-29... but 2 R-27s against 4-6 AIM-7Ms and 2-4 AIM-9Ls is still an ask. When balancing out missiles means the 29 gets a single pair of medium range missiles just to avoid the 21s taking R-60Ms, and the F-14s can bring their full load, I think it's a good sign that either the entire mission (S&D in this case) needs to be set all-aspect or the 4th gens need to be reconsidered. On other missions where it does have its R-60Ms, it's fine.

• Like 1

S&D is the only problematic mission due to lack of airbases in that part of the map. All-aspect is not a possibility, I'm afraid. I might remove the AIM-9L's then. I'll take a look at the mission.

Nice videos there, gents :thumbup:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

@Alpenwolf

Looks like you had a great time today in "Behind enemy lines".

Since the Su-25T and the KA-50 have proven once again to be invulnerable to Stinger (I noticed twice that you can't get a tone on a Ka-50) and you put 5 Sa-15 into the mission (where one shot down the only F-5E available trying to cover our Leclercs against you) plus an SA-6 to cover Minakh, can Blue now have Roland to at least stand a little chance against the Su-25T/Ka-50 combo (since Red has the Sa-15 radar / radio command guided SAM system)? And can Hatay also get a HAWK and a Roland just as Minakh has the SA-6/SA-15?