Valve Index Hands On

aileron

Just curious - anybody here having issues around tankers with FPS dropping like a stone? I get around a tanker with one or two other AC and my frames drop from 40 to less than 20. I don't seem to have issues with those same AC flying around without the tanker close.

What aircraft are you flying at the time? I can't say that I have any issues around tankers or other aircraft that cause FPS to plummet though. I fly the Viper pretty much exclusively and whether practicing AAR with the Instant Action mission or online running missions that are already taxing, I've not had an issue with AAR.

Sorry I couldn't be of help. My FPS issues relate mainly to spawning assets online and when on the ground which is normal behavior for our HMD's.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious - anybody here having issues around tankers with FPS dropping like a stone? I get around a tanker with one or two other AC and my frames drop from 40 to less than 20. I don't seem to have issues with those same AC flying around without the tanker close.

Try to disable wake turbulence.

It's a performance hog!!!

Edited by Shrimp
Typo

@WIcked - F-18

@Shrimp - I will try but it is enforced on some servers

I’ll try the 18 here in a bit. I do remember getting knocked around some when refueling on the TTI 107th server.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Hi folks,

I'm really struggling to get decent performance out of my Index in DCS. Performance in other simulators is great so I'm a bit confused really. Specs are i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB RAM @ 3200Mhz, and a 2080Ti.

I'd be grateful if anybody could share their settings so I can narrow down the problem. My default super sampling in SteamVR is set to 150%.

You do not say what you are getting or what you think you should be getting. If you are talking about fps then you ought to be getting at least 45 and maybe 60 depending on graphic choices.

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

I agree with CobaltUK. What are your frame rates? If you are only using SteamVR/Settings/Video/Custom Resolution at 150% with no other supersampling you should easily run at 45 FPS when set to 90Hz with no drop at all. In fact, if that's all your doing set the refresh rate to 120Hz.

However, if you've bumped up the in game Pixel Density as well that will cause frame drops above 1.1 or 1.2PD. If you're running MSAA at 2x or 4x that will bring down frame rates and if you're running shadows that will bring down frame rates too.

A good place to start is set your Custom Resolution to 100%, then dial up the in game Pixel Density to 1.4 but leave all shadows and MSAA off. Set your view distance to High (not ultra or extreme) and everything else to high except civilian traffic, chimney smoke and ground clutter. Leave those low for now and put trees at 70%. See how that looks.

Your system should run these settings fairly well. Keep in mind that FPS is also dependent on the mission and how many assets are active. When I fly the Round Table mission in single player it drags my system to its knees.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FYI, now you can change screen refresh rate on the fly without restarting the headset. Brightness adjustment also goes up to 140.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

So as a follow up post, upgrading my CPU (6700k to 9700k) and going from 16GB of 3000mhz memory to 32GB of the same definitely has improved my VR performance. Much much smoother experience now at the same graphic settings as before. I'm running at 90hz with custom resolution at 100% where even at 90% or 85% resolution before would give me some stutters. What's even more amazing to me about that was my prior chip was OC'd to 4.6GHZ and would run temps in the mid 70C range playing DCS before. Now with no OC to the 9700k I get a smoother experience and my CPU temps are at 55C in session.

So as a follow up post, upgrading my CPU (6700k to 9700k) and going from 16GB of 3000mhz memory to 32GB of the same definitely has improved my VR performance. Much much smoother experience now at the same graphic settings as before. I'm running at 90hz with custom resolution at 100% where even at 90% or 85% resolution before would give me some stutters. What's even more amazing to me about that was my prior chip was OC'd to 4.6GHZ and would run temps in the mid 70C range playing DCS before. Now with no OC to the 9700k I get a smoother experience and my CPU temps are at 55C in session.

That’s fantastic! Glad it worked out for you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FYI, now you can change screen refresh rate on the fly without restarting the headset. Brightness adjustment also goes up to 140.

So far the new beta seems smoother when flying on the same server I flew last night. I was able to change easily from 90 to 120Hz and it took effect immediately. I did notice some flickering in the middle part of the field of view. I immediately thought it might be strobe lights because the flickering seemed steady but all external lights were off. This happened when switching back to 90Hz from 120Hz but I can’t say for sure if switching is what caused it.

I’m not sure if the brightness slider is working. When I drag the slider right to increase the brightness, I see the change immediately. When I let go of the mouse button, the slider stays in the same position but the image brightness reverts back to 100.

Anyone seeing these results?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I went back to stable - I lost the ability to set DCS up with per app settings. I turn on dcs and look in the per app menu and it isn't listed.

I haven't tried the refresh change on the fly but brightness seemingly works ok for me.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

I went back to stable - I lost the ability to set DCS up with per app settings. I turn on dcs and look in the per app menu and it isn't listed.

I haven't tried the refresh change on the fly but brightness seemingly works ok for me.

I can’t see DCS under application settings either.

On another note, if you fly the Viper and have dark MFD’s, you have to try this mod... it’s an amazing difference and other than some slight aliasing on the SOI border there are no other drawbacks. The HSI might look a little shimmery as well but not enough for me to notice.

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=222510&d=1575755915

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Custom resolution and a lot of other options can be done from within the headset now. This is very neat because you don’t have to alt-Tab to desktop to change these settings.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Custom resolution and a lot of other options can be done from within the headset now. This is very neat because you don’t have to alt-Tab to desktop to change these settings.

I’ve been using it but only the SteamVR apps allow for modification now. You can’t get to DCS to set the Steam version of ASW where it locks or doesn’t lock your frame rates by half.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have found that it shows up if you let DCS start steam VR for you.

Just add dcs.Exe trough add non steam game to your library and then go to preferences for it and include in vr library. Then it will show up and work as normal

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

I have found that it shows up if you let DCS start steam VR for you.

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just to let anyone interested know, I’ve got my Index up for sale on the hardware sub-forum https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=257745

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Just to let anyone interested know, I’ve got my Index up for sale on the hardware sub-forum https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=257745

Wow! Are you sticking with the Reverb?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, very tough decision though. The Index is a better headset in so many ways, but the extra resolution of the Reverb has finally convinced me - just!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yes, very tough decision though. The Index is a better headset in so many ways, but the extra resolution of the Reverb has finally convinced me - just!

Roger that. If I could get the Reverb to work with my eyes I may have made the same decision. Although, not having to deal with the WMR nightmare is a blessing lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Roger that. If I could get the Reverb to work with my eyes I may have made the same decision. Although, not having to deal with the WMR nightmare is a blessing lol.

To be honest, there has been a huge improvement in WMR since I had my first Reverb earlier in the year. I now just put the headset on, WMR loads up and I launch DCS which automatically runs SteamVR.

To be honest, there has been a huge improvement in WMR since I had my first Reverb earlier in the year. I now just put the headset on, WMR loads up and I launch DCS which automatically runs SteamVR.

Compared to the Index, which is the performance that you are getting with the Reverb?