Make AI attack or shell marker location?

DrummerNL

Hey guys,

I've been wondering if it's somehow possible to have for example AI howitzers or other artillery attack a player defined location, such as a marker placed on the map?

For example, in a mission I'm working on right now, one of the key tasks is to recon an area with the Gazelle. I'd really like to be able to call in an artillery barrage that is not pre-set to a certain zone or trigger area as the targets move and I actually want the player to figure out it's location (grid coordinates) and do just a little bit more than just use a pre-set radio command to call it in.

Maybe mark the location on the map and have a howitzer battery respond to that?

The Gazelle for example has the ability to calculate exact coördinates using the Viviane camerasystem but as of now it looks like there is no way for me to call in any firemissions on user defined coördinates. Anyone here who has any good ideas when it comes to this?

I don't think that's an option in ME. The IP wants an AI unit to actually start firing on a location marked by him/her and not on a preset location given prior the mission in ME. Of course this is possible using scripting. The simplest way is to create a F10 menu entry which calls function fireAtPoint on the exact position the player find itself. You need to do these steps:

- create a menu entry calling a function, say fireAtMyLocation.

- create function fireAtMyLocation which when F10 menu is called, will calculate your position and call fireAtPoint in which you will pass the calcuated position.

It is not dead easy but also not very complicated to do exactly that. What's not easy is to actually calculate where your smoke will actually hit the ground so that you can use it for position. But there are workarounds for that as well.

[sIGPIC]OK[/sIGPIC]

I've been wondering if it's somehow possible to have for example AI howitzers or other artillery attack a player defined location, such as a marker placed on the map?

I have implement this functionality as part of Moose

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

It is not an option in the ME, but works in-game in real time provided you have CA. Click the artillery unit. If you have Combined Arms, a GUI will appear at the bottom of the screen next to the unit info. Click "add target", click where you want them to fire, drag the radius slider to the desired size, then click "start fire." They will take about 2 minutes to sight in and open fire.

If you don't have CA scripting is your only option.

I have implement this functionality as part of Moose

Well this is really awesome actually. It is probably the closest to what I'm looking for. Thanks!

I have a question about this though... As I'm mostly flying in VR, typing long strings might actually be quite hard. Does anyone have a solution for that? I'm thinking I could ctrl+c some predefined lines to paste into the marker but would it be at all possible to script a clickable GUI to work with this MOOSE masterpiece?