** Leaving Drydock! Forrestal Class Update **

Cobra847

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. All we need now is a Vietnam map, A-4 and F-4J ;)

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Great Job ! Talking about the Carrier Battle Group, I assume most of the era scorts will be present, Perry,Spruance,Knox,Leahy,Farragut, but what can you say about the SSN included in a CBG ? We know that submarine capability is NONE at the moment into DCS, but will be able to see some introduction, maybe a surfaced Sturgeon or Los Angeles class ?

What is that tall post called that stands up on the right hand side of the flight deck out in front of the island, close to the #1 cat?? I'm pretty certain that its purpose is to give the bridge crew a reference for steering the boat and is not retractable. I am surprised that the Stennis doesn't have one. The Vinson even has one. Seems odd that ED would have left that detail out, and even more odd that the rivet counters on this forum haven't complained about its absence, that I know of anyway. Regardless, the ship model is beautiful and I can't wait to give you my money!! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What is that tall post called that stands up on the right hand side of the flight deck out in front of the island, close to the #1 cat?? I'm pretty certain that its purpose is to give the bridge crew a reference for steering the boat and is not retractable. I am surprised that the Stennis doesn't have one. The Vinson even has one. Seems odd that ED would have left that detail out, and even more odd that the rivet counters on this forum haven't complained about its absence, that I know of anyway. Regardless, the ship model is beautiful and I can't wait to give you my money!! :thumbup:

That is what we called the Nav Pole. It had a ladder to the top, an anemometer, wind vane and other aerials on it. Every carrier I have been on, Kitty Hawk, Enterprise, and most of the Nimitz class have all had them.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

What is that tall post called that stands up on the STARBOARD side of the flight deck out in front of the island, close to the #1 cat?? I'm pretty certain that its purpose is to give the bridge crew a reference for steering the boat and is not retractable. I am surprised that the Stennis doesn't have one. The Vinson even has one. Seems odd that ED would have left that detail out, and even more odd that the rivet counters on this forum haven't complained about its absence, that I know of anyway. Regardless, the ship model is beautiful and I can't wait to give you my money!! :thumbup:

There, I fixed it for ya ;)

But seriously, not every ship even in the Nimitz class was identical so id not be surprised if some didn't have the Nav Pole.

Would have to look at photos of the ships we’ve got modeled

"Chops"

;3575212']Would have to look at photos of the ships we’ve got modeled

Stennis:

US_Navy_070206-N-0684R-349_USS_John_C._Stennis_%28CVN_74%29_and_guided_missile_destroyer_USS_O%27Kane_%28DDG_77%29_move_into_formation_in_preparation_for_a_photo_exercise_along_with_USS_Preble_%28DDG_88%29%2C_USS_Antietam_%28CG_54%29_and_USNS_Brid.jpg

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 1 month later...
Are we going to have to fly through clouds of exhaust produced by the oil-fired boilers? :P

A friend who is a master of a very large containership was telling me that they have to keep 3 types of fuel:

Bunker oil, which is like a thin black grease and needs warmed up before it can be fed to the engine and produces lots of black smoke when under power;

Heavy oil, which is a dark fluid oil like a thin crude oil and does not require heating before being fed to the engine, it still produces smoke but not as much as the bunker oil;

Diesel oil, the lightest oil and similar to what you would put in your car or truck, mainly it is required for entering port in the US especially in California which have quite stringent pollution requirements.

This is for the Sulzer 12RT-flex96C cylinder diesel engine not a steam boiler though.

http://www.containership-info.com/vessel_9289958.html

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

A friend who is a master of a very large containership was telling me that they have to keep 3 types of fuel:

Bunker oil, which is like a thin black grease and needs warmed up before it can be fed to the engine and produces lots of black smoke when under power;

Heavy oil, which is a dark fluid oil like a thin crude oil and does not require heating before being fed to the engine, it still produces smoke but not as much as the bunker oil;

Diesel oil, the lightest oil and similar to what you would put in your car or truck, mainly it is required for entering port in the US especially in California which have quite stringent pollution requirements.

This is for the Sulzer 12RT-flex96C cylinder diesel engine not a steam boiler though.

http://www.containership-info.com/vessel_9289958.html

Thankfully, most commercial vessels designed today use diesel engines. Bunker fuel and heavy fuel oil is really nasty stuff.