Passive Span Always on? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
Kristoffer79

Default Passive Span Always on?

Is it me, or is the passive span bugged? When i turn it on, I cant turn it off again. It always shows directions to radar signals?
Kristoffer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
Holton181

I am no expert, so I hope to be corrected if wrong.
The passive span basically turns off the radar emitter, but keeps the receiver on to detect "incoming" radar signals. By turning off the emitter there is a reduced risk of being detected while still having an idea where other radars are located.
Turning passive span off returns the radar to its full functionality. You should get the warnings in both modes.
When you turn it off, does the radar work as intended?
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
corvinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holton181 View Post
The passive span basically turns off the radar emitter, but keeps the receiver on to detect "incoming" radar signals. By turning off the emitter there is a reduced risk of being detected while still having an idea where other radars are located.

This is correct, as long as the receiver is on you will see interference from other radars. Since the receiver is on in both active as well as passive mode, you will never get rid off the interference from the other radars.
corvinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
Holton181

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvinus View Post
This is correct, as long as the receiver is on you will see interference from other radars. Since the receiver is on in both active as well as passive mode, you will never get rid off the interference from the other radars.
But I just read in the manual, it implies the passive mode can be turned on while in A0 (radar off). Maybe that is what OP means? That it doesn't tur off from that configuration?
Not at home to test it myself at the moment.
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
Skyracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoffer79 View Post
Is it me, or is the passive span bugged? When i turn it on, I cant turn it off again. It always shows directions to radar signals?
Put in A0 and than flip passiv switch on, its all gonna work. If you put radar on and passiv is still switch on, its gonna override passiv switch.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:12 PM   #6
Kristoffer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvinus View Post
Ok, i thougt that you could turn off the passive span so you dint get any radar interference on the radar scope?? So you say that you cant do that? It enoying sometimes when you looking for a ship over sea and you get that black interference right over the ship.
Kristoffer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #7
corvinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoffer79 View Post
Ok, i thougt that you could turn off the passive span so you dint get any radar interference on the radar scope?? So you say that you cant do that? It enoying sometimes when you looking for a ship over sea and you get that black interference right over the ship.

If the ship has a track radar on you (or a jammer) you will receive radiation pretty much continuously. If the frequency band of the ship's radar (jammer) matches the frequency band of the radar of the Viggen then there will be some interference. There is not much you can do about it. It is like something is pointing a flashlight at your eyes: you will be bothered.

The passive mode of the Viggen's radar does not turn on something, instead it turns something off (the transmitter).
corvinus is offline   Reply With Quote