Takeoff Posture on the Runway

Dispatch

Hello,

I was wondering what the correct Flight (4) Posture, during lineup on the runway,

Does Lead take the far side of the runway, or does it depend on the first turn? Or something completely different?

:thumbup:

Thanks

~

Depends on the air force, width of runway, loadout, wind, interval or formation takeoff, etc.. The best reference I see is the basic employment manual.

Generally lead takes downwind side if there's any crosswind. There are lots of different lineup formations. They can be all in echelons or sorta two echelons stacked but offset, or long longitudinal spacing between elements if everyone rolls together. Finally there's "four in the slot" which is like an echelon of the first three but #4 is in the next row by himself and #1 #2 are spaced enough that he has wingtip clearance.

attachment.php?attachmentid=232080&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1586472724

attachment.php?attachmentid=232081&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1586472724

attachment.php?attachmentid=232082&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1586472724

IIRC, 3 in the slot seemed to be the norm when doing element (2+2) Formation takeoffs - since both 1 and 3 could be positioned downwind. If doing 20" interval departures, it didn't really matter.

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB