Formation takeoffs and Landings as #2

Notso

Has anyone tried to do any form takeoffs and landings as the wingman? I can't get AI to formation takeoff or land with me as the lead and I've tried a couple of times to formation TO and land on a random AI. But they don't behave all the well and obviously fly to the centerline of the runway. Does anyone have any suggestions for setting this up?

Ideally, this would be best with a human lead, but I haven't gotten to MP yet.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Has anyone tried to do any form takeoffs and landings as the wingman? I can't get AI to formation takeoff or land with me as the lead and I've tried a couple of times to formation TO and land on a random AI. But they don't behave all the well and obviously fly to the centerline of the runway. Does anyone have any suggestions for setting this up?

Ideally, this would be best with a human lead, but I haven't gotten to MP yet.

I've tried it few times. The AI is fairly stable during cruise part of flight and you can do some form practice with them. Turning is not too bad as long as you're on the ball and remember which way they'll initiate the turn at a given waypoint. AI will turn right into you if you're not careful. For some weird reason they turn always past the rollout point then they come back.

Now... as soon as they hit initial for landing, regardless of how you set the waypoints AI will always go nuts! They'll climb, descend, slow down with the board out then hit the burners, make a circle before starting an approach roughly at... 180 knots all the way to the runway.

I did manage to land with AI lead staying on the right side of the runway, extended speedbrake and at about 100 kts hit the toe brakes. This was at Nellis so no problem with stopping.

I've given up on formation takeoff/landing with AI because their flight model is so unrealistic. On takeoff they rotate much later than a human would (borderline tire overspeed levels), and on approach they do not fly on-speed AoA and a human would likely stall and crash trying to keep up with them.