Should an RWR be able to detect an S-300 and Patriot launch?

St. Agre

Both the S-300 and Patriot use TVM (Track-via-Missile) guidance instead of Command Guidance or SARH. I've been lead to believe that this method of guidance means it is not possible to detect a launch vs. just a normal hard lock, and as such the S-300 and Patriot systems should not give a launch warning when engaging a target, only a lock warning.

Is this true?

RWR is an radio receiver. It can’t determine if a missile is launched. It can only detect radio emissions that are directed toward you, and assign a category or type. Per Wikipedia, TVM uses an Illuminati and is just not smart enough to guide itself. Also, I get S300 and Patriot launch warnings frequently. In DCS, you know when they launch, it just may not always be at you. It could be someone closer to the SAM site than you.

RWR is an radio receiver. It can’t determine if a missile is launched. It can only detect radio emissions that are directed toward you, and assign a category or type. Per Wikipedia, TVM uses an Illuminati and is just not smart enough to guide itself. Also, I get S300 and Patriot launch warnings frequently. In DCS, you know when they launch, it just may not always be at you. It could be someone closer to the SAM site than you.

I'm fully aware of how they work in DCS, what I'm asking is if this is correct. As far as I can tell, the S-300 and Patriot shouldn't change their radar signatures enough during a missile launch for your RWR to distinguish between, say, an S-300 that is locking you and an S-300 that is supporting a missile toward you.

I'm pretty sure DCS modelling of these two systems is incorrect, is what I am saying.

i dont know whether it should or not, the precise abilities are kept secret.

however id like to point out that in the Other Sim, S-300 launch doesnt trigger RWR launch warning which makes it far more scary.

it would make sense for it to be this way, i agree, but i dont think nobody can prove it so it always remains a speculation.

it would also mean launching AMRAAMs in STT shouldnt trigger launch warning, its the same case - there is no change in radar signature before/after launch, the missile is guided over datalink (and it also behaves that way in the Other Sim).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

• 1 year later...

And what about the patriot version we have in DCS? In the gulf War a RAF tornado was shot down by one, I presume he did not maneuver at any moment as he did not detect a launch warning on his RWR

This would make them much more scarier in DCS.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1